Just got my new Minelab Excal 1000. Stay tuned for my first days finds...

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Just got my new Minelab Excal 1000. Stay tuned for my first days' finds...

I've been using my Ace 250 for a little over a year and know her inside and out. I'm continually finding coins and relics that I have missed when I first started. As much as I love my Ace 250, I decided I wanted a little more versatility in my detector. I live on a popular swimming lake and am looking forward to some underwater detecting. I also want to give my Excal a try on land to see if it bests my Ace 250. I know there is a learning curve and I will try not to get too frustrated. I'll keep you all posted as to how it goes.
Take care and HH!

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Just got my new Minelab Excal 1000. Stay tuned for my first days' finds...

You are going to like the Excal 1000 but you will think it isn't operating correctly because of the changing threshold tone. When you go over a iron target with the threshold set to a slight hum the threshold will come back at a higher tone. Don't worry about it as it will still give the correct target response on a coin or gold ring. Best way to learn this is to lay various targets on clean ground and listen to the response when you go over then. Learn the sound it makes on a pull tab and gold ring. They are very close together. Nowever if it beeps, I scoop it up.

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Just got my new Minelab Excal 1000. Stay tuned for my first days' finds...

So I took the Excal to my favorite park today. I found some really deep targets. I didn't have a long time to hunt before sundown, but I managed to dig more coins than pull-tabs. My oldest finds were 1946 and a 1947 nickels, about 100' apart from each other and 7" and 9" down respectively. I also found a dog tag dated 1982 that was 9" down. I thought I hit gold when I found what looked like a crushed class ring. It turned out to be a kids sports ring made of tin, fake red stone and all. I found another one of those fake rings late, this one without the stone but instead it had a basketball or volleyball player on it. I didn't did a single piece of iron, which was amazing for this park. I purposely hunted areas that I had gone over several times with my Ace 250, just to see what was there. I'm fortunate enough to live on a popular swimming lake, so tomorrow, I'm going to hunt the beach in and out of the water. I have never seen anyone else detect there and I have done well with my Ace on shore and in the shallows. Any advice on knob settings in fresh water where there will be a ton of bottle caps and pull tabs?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread