about my family treasure

hunterx

Aug 20, 2011
I have spent 12 weeks researching the location of my family treasure.

luckly, we found some clues. the treasure is the gold which is about 120-160 pounds and buried at about 5-7 feet underground and installed in the sheepskin wallets for about 130 years.

I have never used a metal detector before, but according to my observation, most metal detector are designed to detect the coin which is just buried in the superficial layers.

I want to know which type of the matel detector can find my treasure... ::)

Upvote 0

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Jason in Enid said:
A swimming pool filled with coins wouldn't register for a magnetometer, they only read changes in the earths magetic field. It takes a BIG chunk of iron to affect the magnetic field, which is why they are used by salvors to find shipwrecks, cannon piles, etc.
Check the post above, Jason. Isn't that what I just said?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, you said a pint jar wasnt big enough leaving open that a larger size jar of coins could be detected by a magnetometer. I was clarifying that Magnetometers ONLY react to irons.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Jason in Enid said:
No, you said a pint jar wasnt big enough leaving open that a larger size jar of coins could be detected by a magnetometer. I was clarifying that Magnetometers ONLY react to irons.
I see what you are saying now, Jason.

But based on Fischer's Atocha recovery efforts, that isn't the case. Unexploded ordinance from Naval ships were also found with magnetometers, along with fishing gear, lobster pots, motors, vehicles and even meteorites. Or at least what Fischer described as meteorites. For reasons I still haven't fathomed, they were tossed overboard. Apparently many people have no idea of the value of meteorites. Including Mel Fischer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread