New finds

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi there,

With a detector, I spend most of my time chasing the gold http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,453.700.html, but every once in a while, I break out the X-Terra 705 and chase some coins. And, it sure does a great job of discriminating in super-trashy ground.

Here's a few pictures of some finds I dug in a yard that's been occupied since 1899 (they're doing yard renovations right now--the perfect time to detect): WWII pennies, depression era penny, modern penny, a (WWI) 1914 silver five-cent coin (fine silver), and a 1919 silver five-cent as well (plus, a ceramic marble!). Furthermore, a copper medallion struck for Canada's sixtieth birthday, in 1927 (celebrating Canada's birthday as a nation in 1867). I posted the finds as they were, then with a bit of rough cleaning (gently rubbing off a bit of dirt) but the silvers were cleaned with a bit of water. I also found a 1907 silver five-cent piece (92.5% silver--minted in England) on an earlier hunt in the same yard (first photo), a very old toy motorcycle, a whack-load more of WWII era pennies, an old pocketknife, and lots of brass pieces (metal-reeded sections) that look like they're from an old music box. (At a later time, I may be able to post some pictures of some of those lastly mentioned finds as well. In addition, I also found a brass button from a WWII Air Force officer's uniform, some WWII silver quarters, silver quarter from the 50's, WWII era pennies, a silver dime, and a load of modern pennies in my yard to boot.

IMG_1986.jpg

IMG_2006.jpg

IMG_2017.jpg

All the best,

Lanny

Located some more pictures:

IMG_1981.jpg

IMG_1989.jpg

IMG_1991.jpg

IMG_2020.jpg

IMG_2016.jpg

IMG_1995.jpg

IMG_1992.jpg

By the way--many of the coins, and the medallion (somewhat smaller than a silver dollar, thick, and heavy), are in great shape now that they're cleaned up. (I gave them to the landowner--digging and finding is a ton of fun all by itself.) I just wanted to post the pictures of (mostly) how the coins appeared as they came out of the ground.

Upvote 0

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good work, Lanny! Ok, you're Canadian. I especially like to find (in previous years) foreign coins on the Florida beaches. My fave was a Colombian coin.... looked like gold! I recently gave many rings 'n things to that children's hunt in NY. One of the trinkets I put into the hunt was a Canadian Engineer's badge (posted in the archives). I found it in Florida. Since doing the "gold thing" out west here, I haven't hit too many beaches... or home sites. My neighbor has a site (gold prospecting) that was active till the 1950's. I'm working on that one. Again, good work! Tnx. TTC

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Terry--nice to hear from you again. Glad to see you're still chasing the gold, and that you chased the coins and rings at other times. Hope you find some good stuff in that gold area you're currently hunting.

All the best,

Lanny

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks StoopStroop!

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for stopping by to have a look Bryan.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's some of the other pictures of the finds from my yard.

The 30-06 round is still live--that was a little disconcerting. The two silver WWII quarters are a 1941, a 1945, and there's a silver 1953 as well. There's also a silver dime from the early sixties, a broken handle from a silver spoon, and a WWII Royal Canadian Air Force officer's button. The interesting thing about the button is that it was under a very old pine tree, about a foot away from the 1941 silver quarter!

The plethora of pennies sometimes came in bunches--there was a scoop-full in one hole. It might have been a kid's cache. The WWII pennies were under an apple tree. There's still lots of targets in the yard--I just need the time to dig them. The lot has been occupied for over a hundred years (around the same age as the lot where I dug the silver five-cent pieces. I posted their pictures in the first entry), and I uncovered evidence of a fire in the yard as well, with heavy burnt timbers, down about a foot deep, so there may have been a residential fire long ago--who knows.

All the best,

Lanny

IMG_2055.jpg

IMG_2054.jpg

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks River Runner. I'm a whole lot greener when it comes to chasing coins than I am when it comes to chasing the gold. But it sure is enjoyable, especially when I hit the ones that are around a hundred years old.

All the best, to you, and thanks to the rest of you for letting me visit,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm hunting coins with the elliptical that came with my X-Terra 705, but I understand that the smaller round coil (mono) is far better for pinpointing in trashy areas--any input or feedback from X-Terra users?

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Had about an hour to hunt today--found some nice coins: a couple from the 1940's (one WWII, and one post war), and a nice silver dime from 1951, in great shape. As well, a modern penny.

IMG_2097.jpg

IMG_2101.jpg

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Took my ten-year-old nephew out "treasure" hunting this afternoon/evening. He had a ton of fun. We found a 1964 silver quarter, 1964 nickel, 1964 penny, 1963 penny (most likely a pocket spill--it got too dark to dig the rest of the targets--located in an area about the size of a round garbage can lid), a 1940 penny, 1947 penny, an 1867-1967 commemorative penny (not rare), and a 1987 one-dollar coin. As well, we dug a 1956 license plate, and a brass button, with a standing farmer in the middle--never seen one of those before.

Sorry, no pictures right now as he's got all of his finds and wants to take them to school tomorrow. So, I'll get a picture when I can. (Threw the large cent 1927 from the latest post's find in with the previous finds.)

IMG_2111.jpg

IMG_2118.jpg

IMG_2117.jpg

IMG_2115.jpg

IMG_2114.jpg

IMG_2112.jpg

All the best,

Lanny

By the way--thinking of getting a pin-pointer to speed things up--any suggestions?

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mike--due to our weather, and the lateness of the season, the gold nugget hunting opportunities are just about gone for this year. So, I've decided to hunt coins around here (the mine is four hours away), and I'll try to keep at it until the ground freezes.

Lots of fun--took one of my other nephews with me today and we found a coin that's either a hundred years old--a large cent, 1911--or a 1917--I've got to clean it to tell exactly. However, the picture makes it look like a 1917. As well a penny in the pavement! But, it was a modern penny. The old penny, large cent, was in a pile of dirt they removed where they're building a new business on a very old site.

All the best,

Lanny

I'll post pictures shortly.

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
IMG_2108.jpg

IMG_2107.jpg

IMG_2106.jpg

IMG_2105.jpg

I believe it's a 1917, WWI, Large Cent. You can see how large it is in comparison to the modern-sized penny.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's some more pictures and different shots of the finds from last week.

IMG_2123.jpg

IMG_2122.jpg

IMG_2119.jpg

IMG_2116.jpg

IMG_2110.jpg

Lots of fun with my nephews--they love "treasure" hunting.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Any tips on hunting an old fairground/race-track?

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I now have permission to hunt the site of the old race track/fair grounds. If anyone has hunted a similar site and can offer any advice, I'd appreciate it.

Took my nephew detecting again yesterday and he found an old toy jeep that was made in England, and a hotwheels car. He also found a very old padlock, some pennies from the 1940's, a whack of modern pennies, and a modern dime. As well, we now have permission to hunt an old home site that was occupied around 1899--should be fun.

I'm really enjoying being able to do something with my detectors when I can't hunt nuggets in the off-season. I'd forgotten how much fun it can be. Plus, the new technology in the detectors now makes it so much more rewarding.

All the best,

Lanny

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can get an old plat map of the fairgrounds, it may show you where the buildings and grandstand were located. Also paths in and out of the fairgrounds should provide some good hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread