Ball fields???

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ball field's???

I hope this does not sound too stupid but I plan to hunt a baseball field this weekend and I am still fairly new to this dirt diving sport. My question is, where should I start, at the outfield or infield. I know I wont have time to complete the entire field so I would like to begin with the most productive area. My goal is to find rings and it would seem likely to me that the outfielders would be throwing the ball much harder then the infielders and thus more likely to loose a ring or two.
I hope a few of you more seasoned hunters could give me some advise on this as I know allot of you have hunted ball fields.
Thanks for any advise you can give me,
ZodiacDiverDave

Upvote 0

Shambler

Aug 18, 2008
Under the Trees
Re: Ball field's???

You might be over thinking it. Just be a detective of sorts.

Where do the most people spend the most time?
Where do people do things that might make them lose change or jewelry?
Where would a lost item go unnoticed?

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Got a nice gold ring at a ballfield Sunday. But it was soft dirt and easy digging. If it's dry and hard, wait for the wetter weather and especially post-season to take advantage of the grounds.

Depending on the league or level of play at the field, I usually start working just past the baselines at the edge of the outfield, where the infielders will play deep. Work your way aroudn the bases outside these baselines first. Single biggest reason, this is the area in the field where gloves come off and go on the most during play.

Next, line up where the outfielders come in at the end of the inning to their respective benches and cover those routes for the same reason. Runners sliding into a base will lose a necklace or charm now and then and you want to hunt the cleanest ground first, looking for the rings you can recover. So after the field work hit the baselines and bases carefully.

Save the trashy areas around the bleachers and where the people gather for last, clad is the single biggest return there and trash is is the single biggest obstacle. Get the high return work with the least trash involved out of the way first.

Remember, that bling isn't deep and it isn't cheap. Be sure to get as much returned as you can and the rewards will outlast any cashout value for the goods, in my view anyhow.

And be very sure to keep that place looking as good as it was when you got there or better.

donj

Feb 13, 2011
southwestern, va.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors CoRe, garretts gti2500, gtp1350 minelab 30 whites coinmaster 3 and a DFX300.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Also keep in mind some locals dont want digging in any ballfields football, baseball, any. My city requires a permit its free but it states no digging in ballfield. You can search areas around the actual playing area. Good luck and HH. Don.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

under Bleachers have Produced the Most Jewelry for me.

Next would Be the Benches.
I think some players lay rings on the Bench
They get Knocked off and lost in the weeds under them.
or Either forgotten.

Outfield, I'v found jewelry but rarely rings.

for coins Just outside First base
& Outside the Line from First to second.
3rd Base on occasion

schuylkill_outside_gis-apps5824150456579.jpg

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks everyone for your great advise. Hopefully I will find something worth posting.
ZDD :icon_thumleft:

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

is there a snack bar?

definitely work the bleachers.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

If it is an old ball field you can hunt the sidelines where the bleachers may have been. Remember that things change thru the years so the current bleachers may not be the original location. I hunted an old ball field a couple years ago and found a nice wedding band about center field and a silver necklace not too far from there. And tons of quarters and dimes (over 300). Good luck and I can't wait to see what you find.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Nice little thread. Very generous, and great tips on where to hunt!

All the best,

Lanny

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

I've scoured a dozen ballfields, ring finds are zilch for me. I have cleaned up a ton of old silvers though, IH's, V's, silver dollar, all from "newer" ballfields.

HuntNdig

Oct 6, 2011
North Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I focus on the just outside the dugout areas where gloves come on and off, all along the first base where batting gloves come off and focus mainly on the spots where the outfielders stand. Also, going down the fence line and baseline to the outfield proved pretty good. Most teams use the chalk line as a base point for practice throwing. Also, sitting along the fence and using the fence for stretching is pretty common too. Down the fence line in the out field across the width of the field is good too, when most are chasing a fly ball, slip and fall at the fence, bounce off the fence, etc... hope this helps!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread