Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Double D Coil vs Concentric

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2011
    250 times
    Metal Detecting

Double D Coil vs Concentric

Anyone really notice a great difference in these vs the old concentric. Is it all just hype?
    CoilFisher=I fish with a coil.

http://detectingrights.com/ Join today!

Use a Lesche and a pinpointer and CUT the plug!
    Don't use shovels and trowels in parks to dig holes.*Preserve the hobby.*

Nov 2007
    North East,Pa
    Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
    19 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Re: Double D Coil vs Concentric

i personally would not be without my double d coil now....the biggest advantage is the ability to cover a long yet narrow rectangular area. by doing so you get awesome target seperation which prevents adjoining targets from altering the value of the target you just went over....best $$$ i spent for an accessory

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro
    29749 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by The-Bone
    i personally would not be without my double d coil now....the biggest advantage is the ability to cover a long yet narrow rectangular area. by doing so you get awesome target seperation which prevents adjoining targets from altering the value of the target you just went over....best $$$ i spent for an accessory
    What he said

the DD is the best way to go.

Apr 2007
    Mertztown, Pa
    Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
    101 times

Lol. I agree 100%, funny how all three of us just happen to deal with eastern pa soil.

Charter Member
    us
    Chris

May 2011
    Western Mass.
    Whites M-6 W/ DD6x10 SunRay DX-1 (A real sleeper)
    17444 times
    The one everybody else missed.

CoilFisher, Check out this site for coils,very informative!!!! http://metaldetectingworld.com/metal...ch_coils.shtml
    ​EVER WONDER WHERE YOUR THOUGHTS COME FROM ?

Anger is what keeps you emotionally lost in your head and blind to reality.

A lie doesn't become the truth just because people believe it.

​The Key...http://antidoteforall.com/

us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
    3968 times

Here is a difference. Pictures describe it best and this is why you have to overlap at least 50% when using concentric coils. Pinpointing is easy with DD coils off the tip or the heel.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

us
    Oct 2011
    OKC

A nice write up with pics I found was here:

http://www.bigboyshobbies.net/double...centric-coils/

us
    I deal in reality

Mar 2010
    Maryland
    XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
    2954 times

Nice picture but it is BS. The concentric has 2 windings in the coil. One at the extreme outside edge and one in the inside edge. It is constantly transmitting and receiving. If that picture were true, I would not pick up at 2' which I do. The concentrate goes deeper than the DD for the same size coil. The concentric pinpoints better. I can exactly locate a quarter, then push my scribe in the ground and touch it every time. The DD does have a wider pattern, but since I scan side to side it makes little difference. The DD has 2 coil sets sitting side by side to get the wider pattern. That means it has two sweet spots, one in the center of each coil set. This hinders pinpointing rather than help it. As far as target separation, I have no problem, I merely move my detector slightly and can read either target. I am using a Whites XLT that is 10 years old with the original stock coil. The new Whites top dog has switched back to concentric on the latest version. I personally think the DD is icing on the cake for the sales dept. I have no trouble finding things like ruby rings and gold chains, and with a 10 year old detector, it's all profit. Why waste money on cake icing. Frank

us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
    3968 times

Actually I find pinpointing very easy with the DD coils by doing the "Minelab wiggle." I too believe in using a probe to locate the coin by touch and popping it out.
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

us
    Jul 2011
    250 times
    Metal Detecting

Wow guys thx for the replies.

I wondered as I used one the other day for the first time. I only have ever used concentrics before.
    It was a bit different, and I can't explain exactly how. It was not extremely difficult pinpointing, but a bit easier with the hole in the middle (concentrics) I think.
    I did miss the target a couple times (And, yes thx Frankn I hear you as well ).
    I am still not sure exactly what to make of it, but I am going to use it for a while now and see what happens as I am up for the experiment. Since I already have it, no sense not using it.
    It seems kind of big and clumsy, and I hear alot of chatter moreso than with an 8" concentric. Definitely a different feel.

I am going to read up. Thx.
    CoilFisher=I fish with a coil.

http://detectingrights.com/ Join today!

Use a Lesche and a pinpointer and CUT the plug!
    Don't use shovels and trowels in parks to dig holes.*Preserve the hobby.*

us
    Mar 2010
    Florida
    ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
    4693 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman
    Actually I find pinpointing very easy with the DD coils by doing the "Minelab wiggle." I too believe in using a probe to locate the coin by touch and popping it out.
    Yeah, I'm starting to use the wiggle method more and more.....its faster and just as accurate.

us
    Feb 2010
    Eastland Texas
    Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
    141 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Frankn
    Nice picture but it is BS. The concentric has 2 windings in the coil. One at the extreme outside edge and one in the inside edge. It is constantly transmitting and receiving. If that picture were true, I would not pick up at 2' which I do. The concentrate goes deeper than the DD for the same size coil. The concentric pinpoints better. I can exactly locate a quarter, then push my scribe in the ground and touch it every time. The DD does have a wider pattern, but since I scan side to side it makes little difference. The DD has 2 coil sets sitting side by side to get the wider pattern. That means it has two sweet spots, one in the center of each coil set. This hinders pinpointing rather than help it. As far as target separation, I have no problem, I merely move my detector slightly and can read either target. I am using a Whites XLT that is 10 years old with the original stock coil. The new Whites top dog has switched back to concentric on the latest version. I personally think the DD is icing on the cake for the sales dept. I have no trouble finding things like ruby rings and gold chains, and with a 10 year old detector, it's all profit. Why waste money on cake icing. Frank

I agree with you... I got the V3i and used the D2 coil for a month and just could get any consistency out of it... I just was very hard to work with... I could make it work but I was digging way bigger holes than I should... pin pointing was awful... extremely noisy hunting with the D2 and the v3i... I switch to a 950 coil and all my problems were solved... and yeah the NEW VX3 has a 950 coil on it.... so that alone is saying a lot!

Chukers

oh yeah its a lot heavier... swing it for 2 to 3 hours at as time is noticeable!
    My Personal Metal Detecting Blog www.facebook.com/coinshooting

If you haven't tried Groupon you need to... Saves you money! http://www.groupon.com/r/uu23569530

us
    what hath god wrought

Feb 2009
    Gateway to the 1000 Islands
    Sometime(s)
    998 times
    tectin crap

Ooooh this is a great subject. But we all know the concentric is deeper, size for size. That does not mean it is better by any means. Or worse.
    Federal Bureau of Governmental Redundancy Reduction Agency

us
    I deal in reality

Mar 2010
    Maryland
    XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
    2954 times

Gleaner 1 , What would be your considerations for a better coil?

I only ask 2 things from my detector. Go down deep and tell me where it is. All the other info it gives me is icing on the cake. Frank

us
    what hath god wrought

Feb 2009
    Gateway to the 1000 Islands
    Sometime(s)
    998 times
    tectin crap

This is a good topic. Concentric vs DD?. Impossible to answer. We might as well discuss our favorite color. Is one deeper, can one work better in the trash? Wow, it's impossible to wrap my mind around it all. I can't believe my comment is so short. It took me an hour to write this comment.
    Federal Bureau of Governmental Redundancy Reduction Agency

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links