When is the best time and day to curbside md?

Jul 21, 2011
Wv 2 miles from Western,Md
Detector(s) used
Teroso Sand Shark
I have scooped out some curbs that I would like to md that have houses infront of them. Its near a historical site so I am very exited. One house in particular is vacant so I can md infront of that house w/out worries. When is the best time to md curbside? Is it during the day? Weekend? Sundays?? Its too too cold for me to consider early morning. (this morning it was 37)

Upvote 0

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd never thought of that as an area to search. If it was my neighborhood, after the morning rush house and before the afternoon rush hour would be the best time. Roughly 9 am to 3 pm.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Very interesting question, with many answers. Seems like it must be a personal decision that the particular curbside mds make to suit themselves and their lifestyles or life situations. If I did it, you know, curbside md, I would never do it on the weekend, homeowners will be home and call the police during the weekends. As far as time of day, early evening would be bad, too many nervous home owners calling the police about some "suspicious activity" in the strip of land between the sidewalk and street in front of there house. So that leaves mornings and afternoons, on weekdays. Now early morning, say 2 or 3 am, have at it but be on the lookout for police and bad people. 4 5 6 am, 7, 8 am, too many people getting up, going to work, they are grumpy and will probably call the police. 9, 10, 11 am, not too good. Lunch thru 5pm, straight out not good, too many people around not wanting strangers in the curbside in front of there house diggin crap, so police coming soon. The best time is never.

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I heard that the 3rd Tues of the 8th month of every leap year is the best time to try.

The best equipment to use are battery's from the republic of china.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any time you feel brave enough to try it. Homeowners consider that land theirs even though the city owns it. You have to be able to defend yourself from busybody home owners but some just say go at it. Depends where your hunting too to a great extent. Just be sure your not digging any circle plugs that damage the grass. Use a screw driver to pop the shallow ones out and leave the deep ones.

Hey Ralph. :hello:

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Weekdays are bad....

By 8:30 am on any day the harassment begins.... Sat mornings seem to have been the best times... but early.

Consider getting an orange vest like the road crew wears and a hard hat. Try and look like you are locating lines.

KNOW THE LAW.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
I would suggest a Saturday or Sunday at first light ( day break). Go early and hunt quickly and leave. Leave no trace of your recoveries.

Eventhough the property is owned by the city or county you will most likely have some friction with homeowners if they see you. They do maintain that area eventhough it does not belong to them.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Hit a lot of them. Best places, older neighborhoods and have a lot of situational awareness.

Know if you are in front of a single family unit or rental. Rentals are pretty much open season.

But I always prefer going on Saturday mornings. Many years of interacting with people, especially early risers, who tend to be more friendly have proven this out for me. In the afternoon or evening you will encounter people in their "post-work" state. Hope they had a good day!

I've gotten many invites to yards doing this also. Some towns/regions have more insecurities on the whole than others.

Of course it's always preferable if there is sidewalk and parkway work ongoing at the time, which is often the case with me.

Also consider the areas near downtowns of older mid-sized towns. Grassy parkways that may have once had parking meters. These are a big plus and should be the first places you hit, again on Saturday mornings or Sunday mornings if there's not a church on the block.

Have a good attitude, always say hello first and don't be troubled by small talk. Small talk can yield good results.

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My opinion.... Any time... any day... It's public property.

I hit curb strips any time I see one that I want to detect.

I've done it at 2pm and at 9pm. It just depends on you.

Get out there and play in the dirt. Just show us your finds.

Randyd

Mar 8, 2011
Kalifornia
in the rough areas, sunrise to 8:30 on Saturday is good, they are still passed out. after that the neighborhood will slowly start coming to life.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I have pulled some good finds out of the curb area, I must admit. But it is not really considered good hunting, unless it's near and old school or someplace like that. Just do it and see what happens. You might just get lucky. But to me, it's a back-burner project.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
missmetaldetectingdiva said:
I have scooped out some curbs that I would like to md that have houses infront of them. Its near a historical site so I am very exited. One house in particular is vacant so I can md infront of that house w/out worries. When is the best time to md curbside? Is it during the day? Weekend? Sundays?? Its too too cold for me to consider early morning. (this morning it was 37)

I am planning on buying a MD early next year. I am going to be spendning the winter months researching some of the areas in my town and marking them on Google maps for future reference. I've been marking locations of schools from the 1850's. Old schools that have been torn down in the 50's and are now just fields etc.

As for the curb sides. I have been marking streets with those with housing dating as far back as the 1840's in front of them. The great thing is that many of the homes have wide strips measuring 3-5 feet. Should hopefully get some good hits next spring. Also turns out one of the old houses I rented back in 95 burned down so nothing is there now, I am going to MD that as well come spring. Its also across the street from a site that was known to have a small civil war skirmish so we will see what can be found.

Guess we will see what can be found in 2012.

kramlee

Apr 2, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1225-X
Garrett ACE 300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
She's just trying to get a few opinions from others that might have done what she wants to do, nothing at all wrong with that. Too bad people like Mantauk3 get in the way with condescending and rude comments.

Diva - YOU GO GIRL!

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm part Jewish and we have a belief that the first day if you make a sale or in this case a "Find", you will have luck all month long!
That is why if you have your eye in something in a Jewish store, you make it your best to be the first one in the store, if the dealer/store owner does not sell to you he will be doomed with bad luck for the month.(You will get a bargan as you keep bartering down until you make your deal!) (And they will be thankfull and happy to land the sale, sometimes they won't let you out the store untill you buy something, That's business.) So try to be sucessfull on the first day of the month with your curb search, my advice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions