Whats a good low end muti-purpose detector?

4ster

Tenderfoot
Apr 5, 2011
What's a good low end muti-purpose detector?

Yes, another person asking what to buy. This website is great and mind boggling with so much info.

I'm looking to search woods, fields, fresh and salt water areas. Yes it will get wet. I can spend several hundred, I don't want to get into thousands for one.

So what is a decent low end multi environment detector?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

rey914v8

Mar 25, 2011
Silicon Valley
Detector(s) used
Silver umax + 12x10
Re: What's a good low end muti-purpose detector?

Tesoro Silver UMAX theres one on Ebay with extra 10x12 coil :hello: ;D

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Fisher F2 it's a real clad hog.

Silver Slayer

Jun 19, 2010
CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, XS, Minelab Excalibur Sea search, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree..you really cant go wrong with the F2 :hello2: What a coin shooter :headbang:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

For a beginner I would go with the Tesoro Cibola. A lot of bang for the buck. Great all around hunter. Not water proof except for the coil like most. Also it has a life time warranty.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Detectors are like golf clubs, different ones for different types of detecting. Hunting woods and fields just about any detector will work, but when you move to salt beaches you need a detector that can handle the minerals found in the salt water and most can't, that is why there are special detectors designed for that type of hunting...

What kind of hunting are you wanting to do, relic, coin, jewelry? There isn't a real all area, multi environment detector for a couple hundred dollars.... Probably the closest you will come price wise is the AT PRO but good luck finding it for a couple hundred even used.....

Mike is correct about used detectors, you can get burnt if you don't know who your buying from, but you can also get some great deals if you buy from someone you can trust....Mike has posted some great deals...

I got a Minelab Excal used for $475 1.5 years ago and it is still running like a champ with not a single issue other than scratches....Got a Minelab Safari used for $600 that barely had 12 hours on it and still running like it just came out of the shop...
If your wanting to get in to detecting for a couple hundred $ I would forget about hunting saltwater and just get a good land detector. If you hunt salt water you will need a good scoop and that can cost you as much as what you want to spend on a detector....

happycamper08

Sep 27, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think the AT pro is the way to go. Excellent machine for the money.

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Does anyone know where I can get a used APC M113 for under $1,400?
Would it be good for the beaches? How deep would the tracks go?
How many miles to the gallon?
What color is gold?

Why not just get one of those $21.95 machines from radio shack and be done with it?

crash82

Mar 10, 2011

I am also wanting to try this, i have permission to check some possible civil war sites, so i want to find maybe some lead bullets or something, then coins and maybe gold. Thanks for any info, I have tried to read on on these things and it's a lot stuff to figure out. i'm reading about the Tesoro now.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Here's another Tesoro vote. I bought my Sidewinder used about 13 years ago. I bought it primarily to hunt on Freshwater beaches and for contests. It's a nickel finding monster.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

You are asking a lot from one machine and if you use it for everything you said you would then you WILL need manual GB. I vote Tesoro also, but I say Vaquero! A used SovGT would fit the bill as well.

mydejavooo

Oct 26, 2011
Hansen, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Whites Spectrum XLT e-series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I noticed that NO ONE voted for a Bounty Hunter detector. ??? Wouldn't the "higher end" BH's qualify in this respect? Not too expensive...easy to operate. I've toyed with the idea of buying a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 (used) with an extra gold coil...for $125. Or are the BH's just toooooo inexpensive to be considered any good? Just curious.

DeJa

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Depends on the person using it...... Like many have said, someone with a cheap detector who really knows that detector will many times out perform someone with a high dollar detector who doesnt know what his detector is telling him... I looked at Bountry Hunters at KellyCo when I was looking for my first detector, but choose different brand.......I now own 6 detectors right now, 5 Minelabs and a Fisher..... Minelab is my preference just like some people perfer Chevys and others like Fords.....I have owned Tesoros, Whites and Troys in the past.

I am still a "newbie", I have only been doing this little over 5 years. I am still learning.. :icon_thumright:

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter said:
Depends on the person using it...... Like many have said, someone with a cheap detector who really knows that detector will many times out perform someone with a high dollar detector who doesnt know what his detector is telling him... I looked at Bountry Hunters at KellyCo when I was looking for my first detector, but choose different brand.......I now own 6 detectors right now, 5 Minelabs and a Fisher..... Minelab is my preference just like some people perfer Chevys and others like Fords.....I have owned Tesoros, Whites and Troys in the past.

I am still a "newbie", I have only been doing this little over 5 years. I am still learning.. :icon_thumright:
This ...well said

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread