nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i change mine when i hit a target when pin pointing it and help figure out if it is trash i get good tone on low sen with coins, alum , brass and lead and odd ball chance of fndig a chunk of silver slag thought i was digging a half up

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
You are always using the sensitivity adjustment. On some detectors, it's automatic. If you have a manual controll, it has to be set somewhere. Frank

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a sensitivity setting But Choose not to Use It I just leave it Off Unless I start Having Issues with the Detector Usually with Interference electrical!!! Then I move away from the Area!!! HH Chug I don't use disc either!!!!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Sens is one of the three basic important settings for vlf machines. The higher the sense, the greater the depth. It's as simple as it gets.

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the way i use the sensitivity setting is while i swing the detector i listen to the threshold if it blanks out for a millisecond at the end of the swings that's were i leave it
if it blanks out for more then that i back off the setting a 2 or 3 clicks
i have also noticed that the gain setting effects the way the sensitivity setting works
on the explorer 2 se pro i us a sensitivity setting of 24 and a gain setting of 8 (with this setting i ignore the smart screen and numbers i just listen to the sounds)
this works for most of the fields i work
i have one exception and the setting for that are sens 17 gain 5 with this setting the smart screen is spot on as well as the numbers but i seem to lose depth

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
You are always using the sensitivity adjustment. On some detectors, it's automatic. If you have a manual controll, it has to be set somewhere. Frank
have a new machine so i am playing around with it to learn depth with it i don't trust the indicator it lies i found that if it is a coin on the max setting it says 1-2 in , then i will turn it to lowest setting and most time it will show target 3-6 in deep and it seems to work out yesterday with setting at lowest in coin mode i found a nickel at 12 in using ace 150 with pro proformace coil

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
For the average tectorist in a lawn or in the park, or for the new tectorist, it would behoove you to use the lower third of sense range. Just because you can pull the trigger on your 180 horsepower snowmobile or motorcycle does not mean it is advisable in all situations. It all boils down to trash. Trash to tectors is like twisty, bumpy, narrow, pot-hole filled roads lined with big maple trees are to snowmobiles and motorcycles. Improper sense settings are probably the worst settings imaginable on vlf machines.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my bike is a harley ,,,,, i hate rice rockets ,snow bullets etc...,,,,,,, what i have been doing is workig for me droppig sen down seem to cut out area trash from targets and i dig just to see and trash was next to target, but if i am not doing this correctly let me know thanks

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
If you are lowering your sense in the higher trash areas, you are doing it right. If you are after the deepies in the trash free sites, you will surely want to crank the sense up. This also applies to scrim settings, but in reverse.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gleaner1 said:
If you are lowering your sense in the higher trash areas, you are doing it right. If you are after the deepies in the trash free sites, you will surely want to crank the sense up. This also applies to scrim settings, but in reverse.
well thats what i have been doing dvd and book say the same thing ,,,, not trying p/o any one so if did sorry ,,,,

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
nsdq said:
gleaner1 said:
well thats what i have been doing dvd and book say the same thing ,,,, not trying p/o any one so if did sorry ,,,,

nsdq no prob, you didn't p/o anybody. Not even to o/p.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
nsdq If you found a nickle at 12" you are doing it right. The sensitivy is basically adjesting the power output on most detectors. That is why your dept reading changed. The dept reading goes by signal return time and strength.
I found an ax at 13" and my detector said 3"deep. The reason for this is that the large signal strength return from a large object fooled the built in program. Detectors are programed using coin size targets as the reference. It was getting the same signal strength return as a coin at 3".
Frank
Interesting handle, it almost looks like NASDAQ

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
nsdq If you found a nickle at 12" you are doing it right. The sensitivy is basically adjesting the power output on most detectors. That is why your dept reading changed. The dept reading goes by signal return time and strength.
I found an ax at 13" and my detector said 3"deep. The reason for this is that the large signal strength return from a large object fooled the built in program. Detectors are programed using coin size targets as the reference. It was getting the same signal strength return as a coin at 3".
Frank
Interesting handle, it almost looks like NASDAQ look up night stalkers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread