chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From time to time I find coins on top of the ground as I am sure you all have too... even more rare is finding an older coin on top of the ground... well I did just that tonight... I got a quarter signal ad 0 inches!!! at first I thought it was a can but the signal was so clean so I looked down and I said... naa that can't be on top of the ground... nooooo that can't be a quarter... well I was wrong... just bend over and pick it up!

Every time I find a keeper like this I wonder how long its been sitting there like that!

Tell us of your "on top of the ground" finds too! I am very interested in knowing your story too!

Chukers

Attachments

• top 1.JPG
    top 1.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 3,221
  • top 2.JPG
    top 2.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 3,223
  • top 3.JPG
    top 3.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 3,202
  • top 4.JPG
    top 4.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 3,197
Upvote 0

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
Re: on top of the ground!

Pretty cool. Love the surface finds, but I have never hit silver. My story is a little different. I was walking in on the sidewalk to knock on the door to ask permission to detect the yard. I noticed a bronze green disc right close to the sidewalk. I asked, but was denied permission. On the way out, I "dropped" my keys and picked up a 1920 Lincoln. You know it had to be on the surface for a long time to oxidize green on the one side. Still trying to get into that yard. The weeds don't even grow anymore.

AGBlex

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
southern, Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

man i wish silver just showed up on the top soil... nice find man

HuntNdig

Oct 6, 2011
North Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wow nice find! I haven't hit one silver quarter yet and you get one on top of the ground! Hats off!!

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HuntNdig said:
wow nice find! I haven't hit one silver quarter yet and you get one on top of the ground! Hats off!!

once I was hunting an old baseball field and I got a dime signal and I went to start digging but for some reason I flipped my digger back and forth over the top of the ground and something went "tink" and I saw a silver dime go flying a foot away... it just amazes me how they were there for so long and no one finds them.

found a barber and a wheat several months ago on top of the ground too... but they cleared that lot and the rain washed them out... its rare but it does happen...

anyone else have "on top of the ground" finds?

Chukers

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool find! A couple of months ago I re-detected an area I did the year before, and I found a Mercury dime on top of the ground. I found it with my detector, it was just covered with some grass and a few leaves. I almost didn't pay any attention to it because the signal was so shallow...

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV

Congrats on your silver quarter! Such surprises sure add to our enjoyment!

Yep, I found a humdinger silver coin last Thursday without a detector as I eyeball scanned an empty lot while waiting for my son to arrive with the detector that we share. It looked like a worn white plastic poker chip lying flat on the ground, so I nearly didn't bend down to look closer. It's my first silver coin. A 1923 Peace Silver Dollar! As soon as I learn how to post pics on t-net, my lovely big silver will be up there. Before my son arrived, I wrapped the silver dollar in a paper napkin, then told him to open it up. Wow, we both went nuts! He has dug several silver dimes this year and two months ago he dug a very nice Walking Liberty half dollar with the same 1923 date as my Peace dollar. The reason I was eyeball scanning that lot is that I'd previously found a 1940 nickel there on the surface. Needless to say, we'll continue to detect & eyeball scan that field. HH to all. Andi

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thats awesome. I remember when TreasureFiend found a Barber half once on top of the ground. The oldest coin I found on top of the ground was a SLQ. Congrats.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Believe it or not, the 1824 LC I found last weekend was ON TOP OF THE GROUND! Lots of shale where I was , so I figured it stayed on top for about 150 years! :dontknow:

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I am amazed that some are on the ground like that.
Figure maybe a deteriorating rock/wood stopped it or something from sinking deeper.

But, how do they get so deeeeep. Found a nickel the other day from 1979 at like 6".
Would love to detect a lawn that a garden tractor never ran on.

HUNTER12

May 24, 2011

Same thing kinda happend to me Sunday. Mding a local park , found some clad in the grass field. Went to do the edge of the walk way, and first hit was a clad quarter 1981 sitting on top of the grass were it started., I figure it was dropped recently. But i feel i stopped the quarter from it's journey from going deep.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I find lots of coins on top of the ground , mostly pennies though. Last week while I was mding a gravel parking lot, I did find a 14k bracelet lying in the grass at the edge of the gravel. Just luck that the sun was glinting off of it.

alderan33

Oct 15, 2010
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3I
Garrett Pro Pointer
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Yep I found a General Service cuff button on top of the ground last weekend face-down in the dirt. ???

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

my oldest "on top of the ground" find was a 1910 Barber Dime... I made a video of it...

Chukers

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008

Hey chuckers: Thank you for your graciousness to ask for other stories. Sometimes I wonder if a "supporting story" to the post is wanted, but your asking made for more interersting reading. A large cent and a dollar: Unbelieveable!

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

High Plains Digger said:
Hey chukers: Thank you for your graciousness to ask for other stories. Sometimes I wonder if a "supporting story" to the post is wanted, but your asking made for more interesting reading. A large cent and a dollar: Unbelievable!

Thanks I was trying to figure a way to do something like this... I enjoy reading all the other stories as much as I enjoy making them!

Chukers

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a coin, but last year while hunting a park 1 morning I eyeballed a greenback just lying on the ground, turned out to be a $20 bill, made me happy!! Also I have always picked up change that I find in parking lots and stuff even when I was a little kid before Metal Detecting became an addiction, anyway never before had I picked up a Wheat cent, last year I found 2, 1 in a parking lot and 1 at an amusement park gift shop floor!

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not too long ago someone posted a Spanish Reale they found while walking down a trail that was on top of the ground. I apologize to the finder for not remembering who it was...they were from the N.E. though.

I find coins all the time on top of the ground but only once was it an oldie...Indian Head Cent.

NJ

What the Beep?

Greenie
Aug 17, 2011
Chicago
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Garrett Ace 350, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Earlier this summer I found a 1940s Quarter in the mulch around an old Oak tree. Just moved the mulch and there is was. It was a plesant suprise. My best surface find this summer was a wad of ten $20 bills ($200) in a parking lot. I found that it does pay to let the wife drag you around shopping.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread