Gearing up to buy a "real" detector

WolfmoonX

Dec 4, 2004
New Jersey
Gearing up to buy a "real" detector

Guess I should start off by introducing myself. Names James.....friends call me Wolf because i'm into collecting anything and everything on wolves. Anyways, I got interested in detecting when growing up in VA. My parents bought me a really cheap RadioShack "forgot the model". Believe it or not, I used to find CW bullets with in in the apple orchard behind my house. I dont know why but I lost interest after a few months or so. Probobly due to not finding anything.
Here I am, 31 now and came across TreasureNet earlier this year. My wife noticed that I was looking at alot of "finds" sites and decided to get me one. She went through a friend of hers that already had an extra one and purchased it from him. A Radio Shack Discovery 2000. Its the equal to the Bounty Hunter Quick Draw. Its been a couple of months. I've tried to get out as much as possible with work, family and all. Not much luck. Clad and junk. I decided to upgrade over the winter. I've done alot of research which raised even more questions. I have however narrowed down my choice to a White's. I've heard alot more good things than bad about these detectors. My two choices are the XLT and the MXT. I love all of the options of the XLT and the display is incredible. Then again, I like the simplicity of the MXT and the the "depth" reviews of this machine. My main question is.....If I go with the MXT, am I going to regret not going with the XLT?? Any feedback would help alot. Thanks......Wolf

Upvote 0

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
Re: Gearing up to buy a "real" detector

Wolf,
Welcome to the hobby. I am using the MXT and love it. I have always used Whites from the first detector about 9 or so years ago.
I hope you have the best of luck. Just remember, it takes a lot of patience when going with a new detector. It could take a year or more to really get comfortable with it and learn all it's bells and whistles. Don't get frustrated. Just go out every chance you get and practice. You will notice your finds getting older and better as time goes on.
By the way, what part of the country are you hunting?
Good Luck and Welcome.
X

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Welcome aboard. Does your wife have a sister? J/K :D

I personaly have my eye on the DFX.

Get what you think suits you.

I think no matter what you do get you will wonder what the other one is like, but i have found that's pretty much how it goes concerning everything.

Bob B.

Oct 27, 2004

My first detector was a piece of junk, a no name, I thought I had done enough research on the subject but I was wrong. Since then I've read everything I could find on all the detectors, their plus's and minus's and have tried four or five different brands. I settled on a whites and my choice was a Classic ID, of course I had to buy second hand as they don't make them anymore, but it is like new and I couldn't be more happier. I don't think you will be disappointed with any of the White products. Good luck with your decision and HH Bob.B

Dec 16, 2004

I did a lot of research before buying my White's also. I've never used one before but the one I bought, the Prizm IV, is user friendly. Makes it pretty nice for a newbie to not have to learn very much before he can turn it on and start finding things even if they are just pull tabs. :)

Smitty

detector99

Nov 1, 2004
NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To Wolfmoon- Re: Gearing up to buy a "real" detector

Mr WolfMoon - welcome to a great hobby. Please visit www.exploringhistorystreasures.com and click on the "trailers" to view previews of our TV series "Ghost Towns Of The East." Thanks!
Frank

Ace

Greenie
Sep 26, 2004
California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer 2 w/Sunray X-1 Probe

Myself I own a Classic IDX not the pro-version, and I have to tell you, advancing from a Predator 2 which was purely crap, to a great middle of the road machine has been truly a relief for me, I haven't found much because I have gone to only ONE place and it's a park from 1980 and I live all the way here in El Salvador and I managed to find a 1963-d silver dime, and a GP ring and LOTS of clads from the US and here. I'm going to upgrade to a DFX in a while, I still have lots to find with the CL IDX so I'm in no hurry to upgrade. If your budget allows, try getting a DFX if you can't get it new try eBay, I bought my CL IDX there with some accessories just to see how the Whites brand detectors were, and I've got to tell you It's the best! If not get an XLT or an MXT, but I do reccomend a DFX because it's a beefed up XLT with lots of more features, and you have two frequencies to use or mix to get better results.

And remember, be patient! Not everyone finds great things as soon as they start detecting, it might take sometime, or maybe not.

Another reminder, get some good digging equipment, a good strong trowel, a pinpointer probe if you can get one (it will save you lots of time recovering a target, trust me on this one), a piece of cloth to put your extra dirt in it when retrieving a target. Go to www.jimmysierra.com and go to digging equipment, try getting the 14" Trowel (the one that's $9.95) and the Treasure Scoop, I just ordered them along with the Sierra digging kit. The whites Yellow trowel is fine for targets not so deep but for deep targets you'll find a bigger trowel will be better. Hope this helps!

P.S.

Jimmy Sierra knows lots and lots about Whites products, theres a link where you can ask him questions if you need advice too. There's a test on the front page of his website to see which detector suits you best.

Willy

I'd say "Go for the MXT". It's extremely easy to use and gets great depth right out of the box. It is also capable of performing very well at different aspects of detecting at a flick of a switch. Also, for relic hunting, it has exceptional sensitivity to low conductors. Even though it's very easy to use, it does have somewhat of a learning curve due to it's exceptional sensitivity to small stuff. This causes some people to complain who don't bother to learn it properly. Also, if you ever intend to look for gold, it will beat almost every machine out there, with the exception of some dedicated nuggethunting units. ..Willy.

OP
OP
WolfmoonX

WolfmoonX

Dec 4, 2004
New Jersey

Thanks for the replies guys. I am leaning towards the MXT. I have the whole winter to try to get one on ebay. If I cant find a decent used one, i'm going to have to pay full price. :-\ I saw one go for $550.00 last month. Should have went for it but had'nt decided on what I wanted yet. Laters.....Wolf

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread