Anybody Ever Try A Post Hole Digger To Retrieve Digs?

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
As usual I probably set myself up on this one but here it goes.

I've got this nasty left knee (it's getting better) and now bad right foot from favoring my left leg.

Anyway, I've only got about 6 more weeks of decent detecting time left this year so I'd like to keep going until the snow comes.

I've been trying to figure out a way to retrieve digs with out putting pressure on my knee or extra force on my now sore right foot.

I was wondering if a post hole digger would work in ruff areas where there's no problem with grass damage?

Anyone ever try using one before?

Thanks,

Badger

Attachments

• digger.jpg
    digger.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 369
Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Well....might take the pressure off your knee...but your back and shoulders are going to be aching. Grew up on a farm....hate those post hole diggers with a passion!

K

Kentucky Kache

If ground is soft, it's a good idea. If ground is hard, forget about it.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I know what you mean gypsy. Most of them are very heavy and hard on the back.

Yes jbot our ground is very sandy and plug cutters don’t work other than in the spring when the ground is still very wet.

I'm considering a light-duty posthole digger that weighs only about 7 lbs and was made for sand. I could mark my good hits and then come back and dig them all at once.

I'll keep looking but this is a big problem with lots of people.

Badger

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Badger, you gotta be kidding. These things are real work to use and I still hates work. Though I have been accused of never doing any. With them hills getting steeper and the wet suits getting smaller, them things are heavy.

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A post hole digger? Who has soil decent enough for using a post hole digger? If I jabbed that thing at the ground here just one time.....I would only jab it one time......:) I made myself a sharpshooter from an old Razor scooter and some angle iron from a bedframe. When I get a chance I'll post a picture. Looks ghetto as hell, but, this thing runs deeeeeep......

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
MB,

think Sand said it best.

They are for digging a hole, not pulling stuff up. ::)

Have to be right on target; items would slip through; push
down, clamp, pull up, over and over again. No way.

Seems like it would be more trouble, and who
know what effect it will have on your body.

Don't think it is a answer for your problem.

have a good un................

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Now if you can mount the detector on the back and then swing the digger into place after pinpointing....

Attachments

• TractorAuger.jpg
    TractorAuger.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 436

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am always lookn' for a way to save time an this looks good Stoney.

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
The kind of digger in your picture are truly a lot of work and a mis-stab would put a serious injury on any relic....but I wonder about the older kind, sorta like an ice auger but brings up about a quart of dirt. I have used them and they are easier but not good in rocky soil. Hope you get your old "wheels" healed up soon, Badger.

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Badger, its about time you gave metal detecting classes for free..... get the kids interested, and tell them the first part of metal detecting is to learn how to dig for the treasure...... They will do it for you, you just find ;D

God bless
peter

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
WoW! I almost forgot about this thread and was I surprised to see all the responses!

Thanks all!

Ya, I guess the general consensuses is that my idea to use the posthole digger was stupid. Oh well, ideas come and go.

I really liked Peter's idea of giving classes but around here the kids that would show would probably end up rolling me.

I wonder how hard it is to adopt these days? No! I can't believe I said that!

Stoney your idea is being used to dig coins believe it or not. There's a fellow online selling a small auger for coin digging. I don't see how it would work but hey, I'm the one who came up with the posthole digger idea.

Keep thinking gang...you're headin the right way!

Badger

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about some of those bulb diggers? Some close before you pull them up. Just a thought.

Burdie

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
I use one of these in heavy grass the last 2 pics are the hole it makes and then after the plug is replaced:

Attachments

• cutter4.JPG
    cutter4.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 224
  • cutter1.JPG
    cutter1.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 229
  • cutter2.JPG
    cutter2.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 241
  • cutter3.JPG
    cutter3.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 231
  • cutter1.JPG
    cutter1.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 225
  • cutter2.JPG
    cutter2.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 225
  • cutter3.JPG
    cutter3.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 230
  • cutter4.JPG
    cutter4.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 225
OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
omnicognic said:
I use one of these in heavy grass the last 2 pics are the hole it makes and then after the plug is replaced:

You're right. These do work and I've used similar tools alway. But again the problem is that those made to go deep are too narrow and you're in danger of hitting the target.

I need one with a long handle as I can't bent down right now. Next summer I should be back to normal again (can't wait) but for now it's a plugger for me.

I plan to make one from a core bit (6 inch).

Badger

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Oh Badger: The posthole digger I was thinking about in the earlier reply is like the one in this picture of one on eBay til' the 24th. I have used these years ago and in the right soil it would work on coins and small items. Would keep you standing up and not much heavier than that big spade you carry. Anyway we're still thinking about you.

Attachments

• posthole digger.jpg
    posthole digger.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 179
OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
silverswede said:
Oh Badger: The posthole digger I was thinking about in the earlier reply is like the one in this picture of one on eBay til' the 24th. I have used these years ago and in the right soil it would work on coins and small items. Would keep you standing up and not much heavier than that big spade you carry. Anyway we're still thinking about you.

That looks interesting. Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread