Apr 25, 2011
Wisconsin
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for meteorites this is OK as they are usually magnetic and the coils field detects them farther from the coil. Sweeping like this looking for coins is a shot in the dark as your chances are greatly reduced. Those type hunters are betting their time against the chance they will walk over a target.

Attachments

• Concentric Coils.jpg
    Concentric Coils.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 326
  • Double-D.jpg
    Double-D.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 330
  • Concentric Coils.jpg
    Concentric Coils.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 323
  • Double-D.jpg
    Double-D.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 326

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those Meteorite guys are limited on their time afield. So they try to cover as much ground as possible.

Now a good gold detectorist can and will spend all day beeping a 20' x 20' square if they know gold is there. Most gold nuggets are deep and are barely a whisper or slight rise in the threshold. Therefore multiple overlaps of your coil are necessary to maximize the sweet spot and get the depth.

HH
Steve

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would imagine that much of the "finds" are staged since it is being filmed so they don't necessarily have to practice good technique for the cameras. At any rate, I have noticed their careless sweeping of the coil also. Good question. Monty

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was taught by a dealer that I bought my first detector from. He had loads of finds from his years and I was starting out in the early 80's.
Slow, steady, overlapping and scrubbing the ground.

I think it's more important to detectorist today than ever with so many years of detecting gone by that those elusive finds are even rarer now.

Back in the day there was silver abounding. Now you go to a park and if you find a couple clad quarters your hitting it big.

But I still swing the way I did years ago. I'm in no hurry to cover ground, I'm thorough covering the ground in front of me. I believe I have a better chance at finding that silver going slow than someone running helter-skelter with an erratic swing. I've found a silver cross that was quite old that was only about an inch deep that I know dozens passed over. Other silver I found when some told me a tiny park was hunted out and they weren't that deep either.

If I only do a 10x10 area on an outing, I'll have done it thoroughly. There will be another 10x10 area for me tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread