Drive Inn Movie Theatres

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you ask for permission you are probably going to be told NO by some city employee that has no correct answer. The land is probably privately owned. I've hunted a few in my younger days when they were gravel and did well. As for permission, just go ahead and don't leave a mess and pack out your trash.

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you know where it was, hunt the concession stand area. :icon_thumleft:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plus if they had a play ground area for the kids. That is always a good place to hunt. Good luck.....Matt

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
iCandy said:
K guys, dying to detect an old drive in movie theatre not to far from me......do you think this is personally owned, or owned by the city?

Most of them are private, unless there was some odd circumstance where a city operated a drive in, a city purchased the drive-in land or it was let go for taxes.

You can find out for sure by going on your city/county property appraisers (or tax collectors) website and using the GIS system to locate the property.

OP
OP
I

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys....I'll let ya know if I find anything

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandman said:
If you ask for permission you are probably going to be told NO by some city employee that has no correct answer. The land is probably privately owned. I've hunted a few in my younger days when they were gravel and did well. As for permission, just go ahead and don't leave a mess and pack out your trash.
I am with sandman on that a city employee will say no... Even though they don't know.......... I hunted one up here and did pretty well........... The fence was down and it was over grown with weeds ................... If you did not know you would just think it was another part of the woods it sets in..........

OP
OP
I

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Keppy......think that's what I'm going to do. I've went & drove around back there...& looks like there's been plenty of partying back there....can tell from all the beer cans & stuff. And it is somewhat wooded....kinda creepy.....it'll be fun!! Maybe while I'm there....I'll even get the thing up & running!! And we can make a soap opera called "the finds of our lives"....or "the gold and beautiful"....for a feature film. Wouldn't that be fun!?!?!?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
iCandy said:
Thanks Keppy......think that's what I'm going to do. I've went & drove around back there...& looks like there's been plenty of partying back there....can tell from all the beer cans & stuff. And it is somewhat wooded....kinda creepy.....it'll be fun!! Maybe while I'm there....I'll even get the thing up & running!! And we can make a soap opera called "the finds of our lives"....or "the gold and beautiful"....for a feature film. Wouldn't that be fun!?!?!?
Sounds like fun... That one i hunted the bulding was gone the speaker stands gone fence gone.......... But they forgot to take the stuff out of the ground that i found and took home.......... :occasion14: :occasion14:

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
iCandy said:

I'll darn sure go with you Adrian. 

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
iCandy, are you familiar with the GIS (Geographic Information System)? On the internet, type into your search box your county/parrish name & state followed by GIS. Example: "Cleveland County NC GIS"...

Or, type in your location followed by "tax records". Many locations have the tax records with maps tied into the GIS.

This will give you access to maps that have property lines and property owner information. Sometimes information about the year a house was built can also be found through the GIS, especially if it's tied into property tax information. This way you can locate the Drive-in theatre and see who actually owns it. Then you can approach them for permission.

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dwight S said:
iCandy, are you familiar with the GIS (Geographic Information System)? On the internet, type into your search box your county/parrish name & state followed by GIS. Example: "Cleveland County NC GIS"...

Or, type in your location followed by "tax records". Many locations have the tax records with maps tied into the GIS.

This will give you access to maps that have property lines and property owner information. Sometimes information about the year a house was built can also be found through the GIS, especially if it's tied into property tax information. This way you can locate the Drive-in theatre and see who actually owns it. Then you can approach them for permission.

Permission is a good thing! It not only protects against fines/jailtime, but also helps keep a good name for detectorists which may prevent future laws being made to make detecting harder on all of us. Great suggestion!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread