Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cold Steel Special Forces Shovel......

Also use it for 4" hole plug cutting. I always carry a spade... and have broken three different ones. I cant figure out how to break this one....yet.

TS-TCS92SF_540.jpg

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Predator Tools Model 31 Raptor, customized, I hacked off the awkward factory handle, welded on 7/8" stainless steel tube, Hunt Wilde grip. The raptor is a killer tool, heat treated steel, and holds an edge decently, but the geometry of the factory handle is not very ergonomic IMO. A few swipes with a file when needed and it slides thru sod and roots like a hot knife cutting butter. I use this when the targets start pushing 6 or 7 inches. Four deep cuts made in a square about 6", and I can easily plug out a good clean 7" deep hole.

Attachments

• digger.JPG
    digger.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 1,251
  • side.JPG
    side.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 1,099

S IL THer

Nov 29, 2009
S. Illinois
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, DFX, Coinmaster Pro,White's Eagle II SL, White's 6DB
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the Lesche ground shark back in October; just wish I had it over 20 years ago--it is excellent for any depth of digging plus I stuck a rare earth magnet on the back that is darn tough to take off. it's the only digger I use now.

relicminer

Dec 31, 2010
Pike County Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro-pointer, Lecshe Digging Tool, Predator Mauler T-Handle
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Predator Samson T-handle, Compact, lightweight, and unbelievable tough!!!!

rocksolid

Greenie
Nov 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
S IL THer said:
I bought the Lesche ground shark back in October; just wish I had it over 20 years ago--it is excellent for any depth of digging plus I stuck a rare earth magnet on the back that is darn tough to take off. it's the only digger I use now.
Please excuse the dumb question, but what does the magnet do for you. Only thing I could figure is to gather up any iron so you can pinpoint other metals. Glad to hear the Ground Shark is a good tool. I'm looking at that one. Maybe next year. :-(
BTW, I'm currently using a WWII German folding trenching shovel.
trenchingshovel.jpg

Dirty Money

Sep 21, 2010
Saginaw, MI
Detector(s) used
White's MX5 w/ 8X6 SEF, Garrett Pro-Pointer, X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Either Santa brings a Ground Shark to go with the digging knife, or Dad buys one for himself. ;D

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've got a Predator Tools Raven, a couple of friends use Predator "Big Red" shovels and love them. The blade of the Big Red is much wider than the Raven and will dig deeper, quicker.

I love my Raven, because of it's narrow, curved blade I can dig a 4-sided plug with it efficiently.

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed...Raven I love it.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Cleetus said:
LakeMonster: You neglected to mention, your digging tool also doubles as a throwing axe, a powerful machete, a butchering tool, and a handheld fighting Tomahawk fighting . Watch this short Demo Video: http://www.coldsteel.com/spshovel.html
I will say it looks good and the price is right.......

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I will say i sure like that Cold Steel digger ...... A digger and a weapon..... You are covered out in the field...............

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If rocks aren't a major issue, I use a drain spade. They are hugely effective since you can cut a foot long 'plug'. The only downside is that they're a full sized implement but I'm already used to beach hunting with a scoop, so that's no big deal.

Took one on a relic hunt to a CW battlefield a couple years back, the other hunters all had the usual array of 'expected' belt-mounted digging tools. By the time we were done, damn near every one vowed they'd start using drain spades, too.

I use a hot tuned Fisher 1266X with a 12" Spider coil for relics and it goes deep. No chance I'm getting down there with a stupid Lesche and hogging out a hole when I can do the same job with a drain spade in 80% less time and 50% less bending over.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
LSMorgan said:
If rocks aren't a major issue, I use a drain spade. They are hugely effective since you can cut a foot long 'plug'. The only downside is that they're a full sized implement but I'm already used to beach hunting with a scoop, so that's no big deal.

Took one on a relic hunt to a CW battlefield a couple years back, the other hunters all had the usual array of 'expected' belt-mounted digging tools. By the time we were done, damn near every one vowed they'd start using drain spades, too.

I use a hot tuned Fisher 1266X with a 12" Spider coil for relics and it goes deep. No chance I'm getting down there with a stupid Lesche and hogging out a hole when I can do the same job with a drain spade in 80% less time and 50% less bending over.
This might be a dumb question but what does a drain spade look like ?

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LSMorgan said:
Keppy said:
This might be a dumb question but what does a drain spade look like ?

corona_ss_62000.jpg

We've always called them SharpShooters around here. Dang good diggers!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread