Newbie needing advice!

falconeer37

Dec 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all!

I've always had an interest in metal detecting, but I've never actually done it before. I would also like a new hobby that gets me outdoors but doesn't require a lot of money as well, so I decided to finally do something about it. I have a massive coin collection (mostly foreign as per my interest, lots of old American coinage that inherited also!) so I am definitely interested in looking for a few pieces that I don't have. My fiance thinks it's strange, but who cares, it looks like fun to me ;D

I was wondering what kind of detector would be best for a beginner? To start out with, I'd like to get something in the 120-150 dollar range. I definitely don't want a piece of junk, but I don't want to drop a lot of cash on my first one either. I've checked out Craigslist in my area but nothing that looks too great (except for one that is way out of my budget) right now. I'm not in a rush because it's winter here in New England and I won't be able to do anything until spring anyway! Any advice, tips, or tricks for an enthusiastic beginner? Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you can forget Craig's list as you would most likely get something that doesn't work. Same goes for Ebay. Look at sponsors here like Big Boys Hobbies at the top of this page.

Detectors in you price range are not all that good or of better quality. You can get a good Garrett ACE 250 for near $212.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
in that price range i'd say try a tracker IV from bounty hunter --a 3 tone sound type machine with a 3 way "mode" toggle switch - #1 all metal is just that -it finds all metals (only 1 tone made) --- then theres #2 tone mode culls out most iron --two tones mid tone (gold / aluminum) and hightone (copper /silver) finally there is disc mode (discrimation mode) which allows for you to adjust the breaking point of detection --its 3 tones if you leave iron in --2 if you move it up to cut iron out --properly adjusted it can cull a good bit of tabs without the loss of much if any gold items .--

the needle type meter is on it but it is useless -- learn to play it by ear (sound) as it has no led type screen --

or at 212 some folks like the ace 250

BE WARNED IN ADVANCE -- HIGH MINERAL AREAS PLAY HAVOK WITH THE LESS EXPENSIVE "PRESET" GROUND BALANCED TYPE MACHINES --IF YOUR AREA HAS LOTS OF MINERALS , I RECOMMEND SAVING UP AND GETTING A "MANUALLY ADJUSTIBLE" MACHINE

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A Fisher F2 or Garrett Ace 250 is a bit more $ but WELL worth it. They are quality machines backed by awesome companies with full warranties.

Holler If you need help or better pricing options. Thanks, Bart.

OP
OP
F

falconeer37

Dec 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the tips everyone! I think I will spend the extra cash on one that actually works well and will last a longer time. I'll start looking at some of the suggestions you've given me. Thank you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread