Whats the most important aspects of metal detecting to you?

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are many many aspects of metal detecting... lots of things we all need to know and lots of things we need to practice not just preach!

Theses are a few of the most important things to me...

#1 PERMISSION!
always get permission to hunt any privately own property! If there are issues with metal detecting in your area hunting public places you might wanna make sure its OK or at least let someone know what you are doing this will prevent problems later down the line... it will also open up new places you don't know about. Building a good reputation in this hobby is very important not only for you but for the hobby itself!

#2 FILL THEM HOLES!
I don't care if you 20 miles from civilization or your on a beach or its your own property fill your holes and make it look like you never been there. If you can make it look better than it was before you dug your hole then go for it. this practice also help your reputation and the hobby too. Take the time to do this and you will be rewarded with more hunting sites than you know what to do with.

#3 PICK UP THE TRASH
I know this is a tough one because there is so much of it... but especially if you dug it pick it up and throw it away! Once again this goes towards your reputation for you and the hobby, and again it will lead you to more hunting grounds.

all of these are good practices... if anything its good Karma for those of you that believe in that... do the right things and it will come back to you eventually!

Please add to this if you wish comments and criticism are welcome.

Chukers

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post. I was worried that something was wrong with computer again because I have "snowflakes" blowing across the screen while there is non outside. ??? Nice touch Marc. :headbang:

The covering your holes to make it look like you were never there is one of the most important for sure. Along with that is save your trash that you dug up for disposal later. Don't just toss it back on the ground, you might dig it up later. Even while detecting in the water we need to collect any trash for disposal properly. My group, The Search & Recovery Team gets paid to clean beaches of all trash, not just metal but paper, band-aids, gum, you name it. So we get into a lot of beaches that are off limits to detection.

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And being polite to those around you when at parks, etc... Anything you can think of to keep from "tarnishing" the view "non-detectorists" have of our hobby. Learn how to dig a plug (or flap is actually my preference)!

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eh.....could care less what any non detectorists think. Their the ones that litter & throw down all them there dad bern golly jeepin son of a gun pull tabs gosh dern it dad blastit. (if ya can't tell, all those pull tabs have got me a little on the goofy side)....had a twilightish zone kinda dream about them last night. I was out detecting....doing my thing minding my own business....all the sudden...I turn around..& see them coming up from the ground....some of them had teeth.....they started chasing me...telling me to let them rest in piece....I ran as fast as I could...couldn't get away...they gained up on me..took me to the ground..I couldn't move...then they all stuck to me & I couldn't get them off....they called me terrible names like....pulltabaphobic....then they made me go bury them back...each & every one...from where they once rested

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
iCandy said:
Eh.....could care less what any non detectorists think. Their the ones that litter & throw down all them there dad bern golly jeepin son of a gun pull tabs gosh dern it dad blastit. (if ya can't tell, all those pull tabs have got me a little on the goofy side)....had a twilightish zone kinda dream about them last night. I was out detecting....doing my thing minding my own business....all the sudden...I turn around..& see them coming up from the ground....some of them had teeth.....they started chasing me...telling me to let them rest in piece....I ran as fast as I could...couldn't get away...they gained up on me..took me to the ground..I couldn't move...then they all stuck to me & I couldn't get them off....they called me terrible names like....pulltabaphobic....then they made me go bury them back...each & every one...from where they once rested

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh Chuck.....I'm doomed.....doomed I tell ya. All I ever did want was to find me a treasure.....now I'm gonna have to be medicated & institutionalized for paranoia....Them pull tabs are out to get me....out ta get me I tell ya......Oh Chuck....be my Clementine & help me....help me I beg ya

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
iCandy said:

its a nightmare we all share... but we gotta dig em... but yeah I bet they are scary at times.

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
okdiggermark said:
iCandy said:

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!
Only you Icandy :icon_sunny:you are a bright spot on here .

Jonnie

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like you Jonnie....I think you might understand my sense of humor

shepcal

Mar 19, 2003
Oakhurst,CA
Detector(s) used
modded 4500, CTX30-30, Gold Monster1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
icandy!? when I saw this post, thoughts to add were fill'n my mind; then yours- I lost my train of thought, but with much strength, I regained my composure (?)
We don't hunt the same thing, but it may pertain- and it's a flip of the coin. If you're finding alot of ol pull tabs, you gotta research the area, like is it near water? then it's probably those that fish, and there's nothing wrong with that! but pull tabs are about all you're gonna find (cause they spent their last cents on the beer.
NOW! If'n you find those beer tabs out in the hot desert, you gotta do more research on types of pulltabs. The simple elongated ones were mostly from the cheaper beers; those that drank those beers may have been looking for gold, but most likely getting away from their wives. The pull tabs with the swell on the lower 1/3, were from better quality (more expensive beers), and thusly more adventurous souls and may have been finding gold (to pay for the more expensive beer).
Stay away from the areas where only wine corks are found!

I have much more vaulable insight to your problem, but I keep checking your avitar, to see if you're still there and lost my beer-

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shep......I'm laughing so hard right now.......Omg.....sad thing is........I can be blindfolded & tell ya what kind of beer the tab goes too.....roflllllssssshhhh!!! Not really....only do bottles....but still....you're hilarious!!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
chuckers it's easy to say that finding of treasures is the important thing. You awaken consciousness about the obligation of all metal detectorists and treasure hunters. Treasure hunting is a matter of responsibility, and reward.

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gleaner1 said:
chuckers it's easy to say that finding of treasures is the important thing. You awaken consciousness about the obligation of all metal detectorists and treasure hunters. Treasure hunting is a matter of responsibility, and reward.

Oh Gleany.....that was so heartfelt.....think I might shed me a tear.... :headbang:

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gleaner1 said:

Well heck yeah it is... ultimately that is why we all are here and why we all do what we do... but if you do the right thing on the way to that goal then all the sweeter the reward will be! In other words guilt free treasure!

I practice what I preach and sometimes I still feel guilty, because I knew after the fact I could of done better.

Chukers

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Chukers, you say:

" .... even public places you might wanna make sure its OK...."

The only I would add to this, is to clarify that this this does not mean going and asking permission (as so many people have interpretted this to mean). Rather: It means, if you have some sort of doubt, you can check to see if there are any prohibitions. Ie.: anything specifically saying "no metal detecting". This can be done by merely checking city websites and scrolling through their park's dept. rules/regulations. If there is no prohibitions on the subject, presto, homework done. Go do it :)

Because the danger of going and asking, is you may get a "no", when no real rule exists, nor would anyone have ever cared or noticed (till you asked).

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
Chukers, you say:

The only I would add to this, is to clarify that this this does not mean going and asking permission (as so many people have interpretted this to mean). Rather: It means, if you have some sort of doubt, you can check to see if there are any prohibitions. Ie.: anything specifically saying "no metal detecting". This can be done by merely checking city websites and scrolling through their park's dept. rules/regulations. If there is no prohibitions on the subject, presto, homework done. Go do it :)

Because the danger of going and asking, is you may get a "no", when no real rule exists, nor would anyone have ever cared or noticed (till you asked).

so you are saying take your chances in hunting public places, don't ask just go hunt... I understand your point... I guess it depends if you want to have conflict or not I suppose... whether its ignorance of the law or someone is protecting a hunting grounds for themselves or another its comes down to this... (for me) I rather be told no asking to see if it ok to hunt... than to be chased off a hunting site... I'd rather avoid conflict... I guess its up to you... I suppose it also depends on the situation and location.

never had a problem in my area... I have teachers and police officers and firemen that all hunt so we all know each other...

Chukers

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well....I'm always looking for a good fight....& to date....I'm undefeated. So I'll take my chances. They don't call me beast for nothing

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chukers said:
Tom_in_CA said:
Chukers, you say:

so you are saying take your chances in hunting public places, don't ask just go hunt... I understand your point... I guess it depends if you want to have conflict or not I suppose... whether its ignorance of the law or someone is protecting a hunting grounds for themselves or another its comes down to this... (for me) I rather be told no asking to see if it ok to hunt... than to be chased off a hunting site... I'd rather avoid conflict... I guess its up to you... I suppose it also depends on the situation and location.

never had a problem in my area... I have teachers and police officers and firemen that all hunt so we all know each other...

Chukers

Chukers,

It comes down to the placement in a conversation of two two letter words. After you've done due diligence and researched the rules of course.

Scenario one:

Detectorist: "Is it OK to detect here.

Non Detectorist: "NO"

Detectorist: "OK"

Scenario two:

Non Detectorist: "Hey buddy you can't do that here you need to leave"

Detectorist: "I have done plenty of research and there is no rule prohibiting this activity here, so NO I won't leave."

Non Detectorist: "#$%^& grumble $%#(^ grumble, OK"

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
iCandy said:
Well....I'm always looking for a good fight....& to date....I'm undefeated. So I'll take my chances. They don't call me beast for nothing

I can only imagine...

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hosensack said:
chukers said:
Tom_in_CA said:
Chukers, you say:

Chukers

Chukers,

It comes down to the placement in a conversation of two two letter words. After you've done due diligence and researched the rules of course.

Scenario one:

Detectorist: "Is it OK to detect here.

Non Detectorist: "NO"

Detectorist: "OK"

Scenario two:

Non Detectorist: "Hey buddy you can't do that here you need to leave"

Detectorist: "I have done plenty of research and there is no rule prohibiting this activity here, so NO I won't leave."

Non Detectorist: "#$%^& grumble $%#(^ grumble, OK"

You forgot scenario #3 where they call the police and they come out and talk with to you and since they don't know the laws either the make you leave because of their ignorance... then you got to follow up and so on...

there are all kinds of ways it could play out... but we want to keep our hobby a positive one... conflict just puts it in a negative light... I'll go back to what I said... go ask first its better in the long run.

Chukers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread