Question about metal detecting in City Parks.

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I usually post in the Coin Roll Hunting Forum but I plan to get a metal detector.

I searched in my area and the City allows metal detecting in some parks but the rules say that they do not allow any digging instruments of any kind. So my question is if they expect you to dig with your hands or what? My City is San Antonio Texas. Any one here familiar with this City?

Thanks

Upvote 0

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello, I usually post in the Coin Roll Hunting Forum but I plan to get a metal detector.

I searched in my area and the City allows metal detecting in some parks but the rules say that they do not allow any digging instruments of any kind. So my question is if they expect you to dig with your hands or what? My City is San Antonio Texas. Any one here familiar with this City?

Thanks

I hunt in a big local park that does not allow digging of any kind. Their reason for this is the fact that they have a major irrigation system in the big grassy areas used for festivals and concerts (The same area where I find tons of money and a good amount of jewelry). As far as I can tell, this irrigation system is buried pretty deep, but I still respect these rules and never dig.

Probably 95% of everything I have found in this park was less than 3" deep (The park is only 20 years old at the most). I use a Garret brand brass probe (Garrett Brass Treasure Probe | eBay), and a Phillips screw driver to pop most targets out of the ground. Using an AT Pro and my Propointer, I rarely dig plugs or holes anywhere unless it is a very deep target.

The brass probe doesn't seem to damage anything, but the Phillips screwdriver could. I need to find a brass tipped probe, with a steel shank to pop objects out.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The most important thing you can learn or do when metal detecting is replace everything exactly the was it was. I mean leave no trace of you being there. I was chased out of a park by a park supt because some other idiot dug and left a mess and what plugs he did put back the grass died. I apologized to the guy and told him I had already dug over 200 holes in that park and left no trace and he said i know but i have to stop you because the city just passed an ordinance against metal detecting in our parks. He said I watched you for a cpl of days wasn't going to say anything but we had a citizens complaint so you will have to leave.

I have even seen videos on u-tube where so called expert metal detector guys actually leave a mess.

A screwdriver or some other type of probe works well with shallow coins but any more than say an inch you have to cut a plug and i mean neatly cut a 3 sided plug and roll it back find your coin and then fill and tamp the soil and roll your plug back and tamp it well too

I say play by the rules as best you can and someone stops you apologize and be polite about it.

CARBIDE

Sep 13, 2019
Oakdale,tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks

In Knoxville tenn. the code state that nothing can be removed, you can metal detect but can not dig , any item must be turned in to the city. that is the way the code is written

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions