Question to DFX owners

digginNM

Dec 28, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you were specifically looking for rings, would you do so in Coin Mode or Coin/Jewelry mode? Hopefully this is not a stupid question, as I have found most of my rings (Silver) in Coin Mode. However, If I were to specifically target Gold rings and Jewelry, which mode would be best? I anxiously await any and all responses. I thank you so much for your time and trouble! May all of your finds be full of Karats. Lol

Upvote 0

mark v

Mar 10, 2006
S.W. Pa.
Detector(s) used
Deus, CTX
The coin and jewelry mode uses less discrimination so I would use that mode. Gold is always mixed with other metals of various types and quantities so the vdis are not constant between 2 pieces of gold. The vdi a DFX gives to a piece of gold can be anywhere along the scale even down into the negative numbers making less discrimination more effective.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Mark said, gold is mixed with many metals and conductivity so the VDI numbers can be almost anything. Most wedding bands are right in the pull tab range and I've had ladies white gold rings with the big rocks show up as foil.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Silver rings will sound and read as coins. Most of the ones I find are in the quarter range. BUT..... to find gold rings you are going to have to dig the pull tab signals. And the VDI numbers can vary. There really is no way to tell if the target is a gold ring or pull tab until you dig it up. Those that find gold rings will dig a lot of pull tabs.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used a DFX for many years and I always run mine in "No Iron" mode which is to say discrim the Iron and nothing else and look at your screen for the number readings.
True, Gold rings range all over the place and I've dug them from VDI 7-8 all the way to VDI 50 (big men's class ring)
But the vast majority of Gold rings I have found come up in the VDI 12 to 25 number range as nickels
come up at VDI 22 I have dug several nickel signals and found gold rings instead.
Yes this is the pulltab range, but something I noticed is that pulltabs can fluctuate in the VDI number
as in they bounce around as much as 5-6 numbers sometimes and gold rings seem to be rock steady
on the VDI screen.... better metal, better VDI stability.
These tips may help you find more, but if your in a high trash area, with lots of aluminum foil and other trash, it's almost not worth the effort to dig all these low signals on the off chance one might be
a gold ring....
I figure maybe 1 Gold Ring for every 1000 coins dug, and 2-3 pieces of trash for every coin dug...
so you do the numbers and that's a lot of digging...
Good luck
Richard

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread