Cooper Park - Lincoln, NE

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Tuesday, September 26, I drove to Lincoln, NE, and bought me White's Classic ID along. YOU KNOW, HONE OF THE CORNHUSKERS! :-[ HOME OF THE BIG RED! :-[ Any bets on who will win this Saturday?? KU Jayhawks or the NE Cornhuskers??? ???

There was I light rain Tuesday, and I didn't get to detect as long as I would have liked (I know, I know, it's an excuse!), i only had 30 min! :'( Cooper Park is just west of downtown Lincoln and south of the historic haymarket. The park is surrounded by homes 50 to 100 years old. IMO, it's prime. 8) The Park dates from 1867 :o :o

Any how, any way, to use an expression, "I didn't find jack" :o And you know, we all like to find "Jack"! ;D

A bottle cap, a buckle, a piece of cast iron, a wad of foil, some type of brass casing, and a post 64 penny! :'( REST ASSURED, I'LL BEE BACK! 8)

But ya know, one has got to dig that bottle cap or foil to dig a ring! :o

I still had fun! :o Any more i hate diggin dirt! :o Opps, being a PE and a CE i should say soil! :o One of these days I'll be siftin sand........ ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Attachments

• Cooper Park, Lincoln, NE002.JPG
    Cooper Park, Lincoln, NE002.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,131
  • Cooper Park Finds001.JPG
    Cooper Park Finds001.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 357
Upvote 0

Gold Seeker

Aug 17, 2006
Omaha, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
MXT
Hey Ric --

I'll agree that it's supposed to be about fun. I think most on this board are just excited by the thrill of the hunt -- kind of a "what's going to be uncovered next" mentality. I have to admit that when that detector goes off there is a little shot of adrenaline that goes through... Hate to say it, but it's kinda like a drug addiction -- minus the side effects... :) Anyway, hit it again and be sure to post what you find!

So when you detect in a park like that, do you have to notify any authorities or can you just go in and start detecting? That's the part that has me nervous about going to a park like the one in Lincoln -- the thought is in the back of my mind -- "can I be here or not..."

Anyway, HH and good luck next time!

By the way, of course the Huskers will win! PAINT IT RED, BABY!!!!!

Delhomme17

OP
OP
-Jones-

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
delhomme17 said:
Hey Ric --

I'll agree that it's supposed to be about fun. I think most on this board are just excited by the thrill of the hunt -- kind of a "what's going to be uncovered next" mentality. I have to admit that when that detector goes off there is a little shot of adrenaline that goes through... Hate to say it, but it's kinda like a drug addiction -- minus the side effects... :) Anyway, hit it again and be sure to post what you find!

So when you detect in a park like that, do you have to notify any authorities or can you just go in and start detecting? That's the part that has me nervous about going to a park like the one in Lincoln -- the thought is in the back of my mind -- "can I be here or not..."

Anyway, HH and good luck next time!

By the way, of course the Huskers will win! PAINT IT RED, BABY!!!!!

Delhomme17

delhomme,

IMO, it's a city park, belongs to the citzens. When I detect soil, I typically cut out conical shaped plugged and when I'm finished I ALWAYS and i mean ALWAYS return the ground to where you can't tell it was dug. Now if I'm ever approached by law enforcement about what I'm doing, I'd explain it's a hobby and I return the ground back to pre-dig conditon. Being prolite and honest, I have no fear of being approached or questioned. IMO, the worst that can happen is that the Officier tells ya need a permit or that it's not allowed...... 8)

Hmm, Omaha, I have a new project there and may just bring me detector along. Care to hit a city park with me? ::)

Gold Seeker

Aug 17, 2006
Omaha, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
MXT
Ric --

Good point about the law. I guess I shouldn't feel nervous about detecting in a public place. I just have to remember to wear my earphones!

What part of MO are you from?

delhomme17

OP
OP
-Jones-

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
delhomme17 said:
Ric --

Good point about the law. I guess I shouldn't feel nervous about detecting in a public place. I just have to remember to wear my earphones!

What part of MO are you from?

delhomme17

Kansas City Metro Area. Got some new projects starting up in NE so will be traveling to Omaha, Lincoln, and North Platte over the next 2 to 3 months. Hope to tote me detector along.............

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
The topic of "legality" of MDing has been discussed before. But to hit the high-lights...

1. you should check before you go as to whether or not it is legal
2. ignorance of the law is no excuse for violating it
3. the worst thing that can happen is you get charged with a felony, have all your gear confiscated, get fined several hundred, if not thousands of dollars, and on top of that have to pay an attorney like me to get the issue resolved.

Whether or not you believe you have a right to do something (for whatever reason) doesn't mean that you actually have that right. The "I didn't know I couldn't do it" defense never works.

Usually I get these issues (I'm an attorney) for "bigger" crimes, but the premise, if not the penalties, are the same. If you think you have an inalienable right to carry a firearm based on the 2nd amendment, and then get caught (where there are restrictions), you WILL be charged with a felony. Here (RI), the penalty is a FELONY conviction, around 2k in fines, jail time between 1-5 years (add another 10 if you actually committed a crime), and about 5K in legal fees. If you dive for lobster here...again, perfectly legal, without a permit, the Coast Guard and local wildlife will confiscate your gear, $500 to $2500 in fines, and again... legal fees.

It isn't worth the hassle. You can resolve the issue with a simple phone call. Call the town, see if its allowed, or if you need a permit. If you need a permit... get one. If it isn't allowed then move on. There are tons of other places to MD. The possible legal problems are not worth it.

steve

OP
OP
-Jones-

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Wow! thanks for the insight! :o

When the day comes when carryin a metal detector compares to carryin a fire-arm, I'll find another hobby! ;D

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Re: detecting Omaha parks

Just going on my poor memory here, but thought I read in Omaha that you need a permit to detect city parks. What I think I remember is that you have to go to park & rec HQ, fill out a short form & pay $1, then they give you a wallet permission card & a map of the city showing the parks? Think the card has to be renewed annually?? Of course, this may have changed. HH, George (MN)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread