Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    us
    Jan 2012
    Metal Detecting

Discriminator II

Hi bought a discriminator II, am going to try it out sunday when I hit the beaches of Miami, would love any helpful hints or anyones opinion of this detector. Thank you from a rookie. promise to let everyone know what I find. Mare

us
    Mark

Nov 2011
    Oklahoma
    Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche...
    2 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Re: Discriminator II

Quote Originally Posted by mbmare5
    Hi bought a discriminator II, am going to try it out sunday when I hit the beaches of Miami, would love any helpful hints or anyones opinion of this detector. Thank you from a rookie. promise to let everyone know what I find. Mare
    What is it? Is it new or used?
    Dig it up.....you'll always wonder what is was if you don't!

Charter Member
    us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them.
    1931 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Famous Trails Discriminator II will work on the dry sand but not in the wet. Depth will be about 4 to 6 inches with that coil. Dig everything.
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    1756 times
    Banner Finds (3)

sandman is being ooooh tooo polite If you read between the lines of what he's saying (ID'ing the brand name, and that particular machine's capability), you can ferret out: "you have a toy". Hey, but they don't call me kill-joy for nothing :P
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

us
    Jan 2012
    Metal Detecting

[quote=Tom_in_CA ]
    sandman is being ooooh tooo polite If you read between the lines of what he's saying (ID'ing the brand name, and that particular machine's capability), you can ferret out: "you have a toy". Hey, but they don't call me kill-joy for nothing

Thank you. Mare

us
    "John Holmes Jr."

Nov 2011
    French Gulch, North Calif.
    "WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
    28 times
    Metal Detecting

Any $100 MD will hit Gold if on top of it, as well as coins. yea you could spend more and get bette preformance and sometimes easier. I had the same MD last year and got a lot of experience and I dig everything like on an adventure. I did recover a Brass Sabre like a military soldier model from a great fire here in the Gold Rush Town of French Gulch, County of Shasta, Norhern California. I picked up a vintage top of the line first production Golden Sabre II made by Tesoro in 1980 from a ebay auction. I plan to get a tesoro lobo super traq for the money value one of the best Gold Nugget finders in that price class.
    Now when you get the swing of it and if interested in keeping it up do research on youtube "Gold" videos, they will wet your appetite from in the field finds.
    Your MD is a good back up when you get another one but they pick up well after you learn the settings and tone sounds, A very dependable model. A good headphones make the difference on that model. I like any "Sony" brand Stereo headphones work fine. By the way I had no problem puting the coil in water!
    (On a post here I read, a son with his grandfather in Alaska found a 1 1/2 Oz nuggett with a $100 MD! he was in a good spot!) The best MD won't help if the target is not there! treasure is where you find it! Every bodys experience varies from each others so do not get discouraged....
    Good luck in the hunt friend.
    GOLD IS WHERE YOU FIND IT.. IT CAN HIDE BUT WHEN REAL IT DON'T LIE!
    My Mama Never raised No Fool... I Was Adopted!

us
    I dig zinc....

Oct 2010
    Tyler, TX
    Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.) CTX-3030 10-04-13
    29 times
    Metal Detecting

Kind words, goldentruth. It is easy to see you are a good man.
    Roland

All electrical devices are powered by smoke......when the smoke escapes, they no longer work.

us
    Mark

Nov 2011
    Oklahoma
    2 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Roland58
    Kind words, goldentruth. It is easy to see you are a good man.
    I second that! GT is a good guy with a big heart! Tries to assist in every way he can. Keep it up G!

Charter Member
    us

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them.
    1931 times

Everyone has to start somewhere and most of us started with a MD that wasn't able to find a metal garbage can lid under a sheet of newspaper. We upgraded from there as we learned more about the hobby as we thought we were missing something. I think all of us do this for the fun of just finding stuff from the dirt or water and wondering what the history of the item. But I stand behind my signature.

TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

us
    Mark

Nov 2011
    Oklahoma
    2 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman
    Everyone has to start somewhere and most of us started with a MD that wasn't able to find a metal garbage can lid under a sheet of newspaper. We upgraded from there as we learned more about the hobby as we thought we were missing something. I think all of us do this for the fun of just finding stuff from the dirt or water and wondering what the history of the item. But I stand behind my signature.

TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."
    And I fully agree with your signature line. However, we all have different "means." not everyone has fifteen hundred dollars that they can afford to spend on a new detector.

us
    "John Holmes Jr."

Nov 2011
    French Gulch, North Calif.
    "WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
    28 times
    Metal Detecting

Okdiggermark hit the nail on the head, he's right.
    I never met a person who spent $1,500 to $2,000 on their frist MD.
    Most are logical and get a modest low price working MD with claims of how it will do and the person will check to see if Metal Detecting is for them.
    I do feel if a guy gets bit by the "Gold Bug" by seeing others finds and sees all the fantastic huge Gold found all over The USA & Austrailia... He might get the bug to invest in a expensive model or partner up & pool savings together for an expensive model.
    Sure...you cant beat the best sometimes if used right but you got to do your best with what you presently have. Upgrades are always possible later after the research home work is done, Good Luck.
    GOLD IS WHERE YOU FIND IT.. IT CAN HIDE BUT WHEN REAL IT DON'T LIE!
    My Mama Never raised No Fool... I Was Adopted!

us
    I dig zinc....

Oct 2010
    Tyler, TX
    29 times
    Metal Detecting

Quote Originally Posted by goldentruth
    Okdiggermark hit the nail on the head, he's right.
    I never met a person who spent $1,500 to $2,000 on their frist MD.
    <snip>

Well, you almost have. My first detector (just over a year ago) and the one I have now is a Fisher F75. This purchase was made because I have wanted a metal detector for as far back as I can recall seeing my first one and I did a LOT of looking and reading before making up my mind. I do, however, wish that I had gone ahead and bought a much less expensive one many years ago and worked my way up. But, I am old now, retired and had some "mad money" I made working on motorcycles......I bought the one I wanted and have never looked back. I have looked forward though and am considering different options for my next one!

Edit: Dang. I just looked up the Discriminator II on the Net and they vary in price (new) from $79.95 to over $170!! That is a LOT of difference and this is for the same, identical machine from different vendors. Shop around!! Oh yeah, and the cheapest price had free shipping!!!
    Roland

All electrical devices are powered by smoke......when the smoke escapes, they no longer work.

Charter Member
    us

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    1931 times

Quote Originally Posted by okdiggermark

And I fully agree with your signature line. However, we all have different "means." not everyone has fifteen hundred dollars that they can afford to spend on a new detector.
    You guys priced Bass Boats lately? Row boats float, but they are only row boats.

us
    I dig zinc....

Oct 2010
    Tyler, TX
    29 times
    Metal Detecting

Quote Originally Posted by okdiggermark

You guys priced Bass Boats lately? Row boats float, but they are only row boats.

You know we all agree with what you are saying, Sandman, but, you have to admit that not everyone has $1,500 for what could be considered a "big boy toy"......kinda like a bass boat. Your comparison is just a tad unfair, it is like saying "have you priced a three bedroom town home lately? A pup tent will keep you dry, but, they are only tents." There are folks living under bridges, you know.

I'm just saying it may be very difficult for some folks to justify putting $1,500 into a detector when the rent is due, the care needs gas and the fridge needs some food. That being said, if one happens to be a professional gold/relic hunter, then, yeah, get the best detector available for your needs......just don't go "bust" in the process. Tools of the trade are necessities, not toys.
    Roland

Charter Member
    us

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    1931 times

Guys, I understand times are tough and didn't mean you should run out and buy a $1,500 dollar detector for your first one. We all started with what ever we could afford. But you should upgrade as soon as you can if only you need too. There are many great detectors that are lots less expensive, and the skill is mainly in the operator. The cheapest ones work some, but the quality is poorer, but your mainly missing the options. You shouldn't stay with your POS when you again have the means and the fridge is full. Depends on how much fun you can stand. You can't hunt the wet saltwater sand with a Bounty Hunter it being a single freq.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors