Suggestions on detectors

richbat

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre/GPP/Lesche/Bomb Sheath
I been looking for a metal detector to buy to get back into the hobby.My budget is $250 - $400 will mainly be using it for coins,jewelery and possibly some relic searching.Been looking at the Whites M6 but seems to be abit out of my price range for now.I live in Eastern Pa. Berks county and the soil seems to be pretty harsh in some places.Won't really need anything for beaches unless i would happen to go and visit my folks down in Florida,any suggestions on something decent would be appreciated.Thanks in advance.Rich

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
R

richbat

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
I had one of those Ace 250's and did not like it at all,not saying they don't work well for others but just wasn't for me.Actually was thinking about the Cibola or possibly a Minelab Musketeer,this stuff can be very overwhelming on trying to make a decision on what to buy with a limited budget.

Jersey Hunter

Dec 27, 2011
Barnegat, NJ
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE and G2, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche digger and Relic Hunter Shovel.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You could purchase an M6 used. They are great machines. As mentioned the Tesoro Cibola and Garretts ACE 250 or 350. Also don't cut out the Garretts AT Pro. My 2 cents.

OP
OP
R

richbat

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
The M6 was my first choice but don't seem to be to many used ones for sale,like i read in some other posts seems like one of those best kept secrets from Whites.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Whites made a few that were sleepers, out performed for the price. The IDX Pro was another, just plain hot, just no depth indication.
Easily modified to manually GB.

You might check out a used Garret AT Pro. You might find it in the $4XX.00 range. It should work for your application. If you can save a little more the new AT Gold may be interesting.

Good luck with your choice.

Ed D.

Jersey Hunter

Dec 27, 2011
Barnegat, NJ
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE and G2, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche digger and Relic Hunter Shovel.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
M6 is a well kept secret of Whites. Great machine and if you want used they do show up on ebay. Just keep your eye out.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't say enough good about Minelab. Save up a few hundred more and buy a used explorer.
I save my top-end whites if im doing the tot-lots, which is almost never.

Jersey Hunter

Dec 27, 2011
Barnegat, NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
M6 is a well kept secret of Whites. Great machine and if you want used they do show up on ebay. Just keep your eye out.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Jersey Hunter said:
Makes sense to me, whites are in business to sell detectors. The M6 they want to keep secret. Gotcha!

Jersey Hunter

Dec 27, 2011
Barnegat, NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
fistfulladirt said:
Jersey Hunter said:
Makes sense to me, whites are in business to sell detectors. The M6 they want to keep secret. Gotcha!
I didn't mean Whites Company themselves were keeping it a secret. I meant that you always hear people touting the DFX or V3i, MXT etc., with it not being a flagship detector in the lineup, I consider it a well kept secret as the M6 is a great machine. It seems people are happier with the M6 then the DFX or V3i, based on the reviews I've read at metaldetectorreviews.net and various other websites. OK?

OP
OP
R

richbat

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
Thanks Woodland,As soon as i'm ready to purchase i just may do that.Rich

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike at Woodland Detectors is a stand up guy, you will not get burnt buying a used detector from him......

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should definitely talk to a dealer. Mike is one of the good ones.

Its really hard to give advice on this topic because soil conditions are everything when it comes to choosing a detector.

I live in Florida and my soil conditions are so mild (except for salt water, of course) I can use any machine out there.

But in other parts of the country that simply isn't the case. My great Florida detector may fall flat in parts of Eastern Pennsylvania.

If there is a metal detecting club in your area, go visit them. See what they're using and ask questions. They'd be happy to help and will steer you in the right direction.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread