Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never had any problems packing my dector or scoop into my luggage. I have heard one story of a person who had problems at enbarkation security, but I think it's an isolated incident.

As for hunting the beaches, it would depend on each country you visit. Mexico, no problem.... Grand Cayman, no problem. I can't help with others.

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
I have not taken a detector on a cruise yet. A detector is one item that is specifically allowed in the list on Carnival. As for the beaches, as already stated it depends on each island/country you visit. I know others who have done this and have not heard them say of any restrictions. Best is to ask the cruise lines. They will probably know the regulations at each port.

OP
OP
E

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone,
I still don't know if I'll even be going for sure, but if I am I would like to take my detector. I love the beach but find it awfully boring, so I thought that it might add some fun to it.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually some cruise lines had put metal detectors on the NOT PERMITTED list - it was not being inforced much because its not like there are 100's of people walking on with them -
I contacted a few of them because a few guys had planned trips and who had called
before they took theirs and were told no they could not take'm
I wrote them officially sounding letters
stating that I was President of the Metal Detector Alliance of America (made up of course)
and that 100's of detectorists that take their machines on vacays would be choosing other cruises
lines - I got very nice letters back from their customer relations people stating that this was
only supposed to be a test situation and that they would inform their offices of the change
that MD'ers should be on the "permitted" list
that was a couple of yrs ago and have not heard of anyone having a problem since

Good Luck

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just found one of the replys from my archive

Subject: Metal Detectors
To: <[email protected]>
Date: Thursday, August 19, 2010, 1:21 PM

Good Afternoon

After receiving your emails I brought the matter up to our upper management team for their re-consideration. After reading your comments they have agreed to change the policy and remove metal detectors from the prohibited items list and add it to the list of items that can be brought onboard for use in ports only. Hopefully that is good news for all of you! If there is anything else I can do for you please don’t hesitate to ask.

Cordially,

Mischelle Beattie Coccera
Carnival Cruise Lines | Manager - Online Community | Interactive Marketing

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
I have cruised with mine several times. I used it in St Kitts, St Lucia, Key West, Grand Caymen and St Martin. No problems The only bad thing is that you never have enough time once you get to the beach. St Kitts was tough due to lots of black sand and nails everywhere. Also, it took me awhile to realize that their caribbean currency sounds like trash! so dig it all!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread