Buying a Metal Detector

nick_21

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, this will be my 1st metal detector purchase. I have used a metal detector before so I am not new to the hobby, but I don't want to get something and find out I could of got a better one.

What I am really looking for in a detector is listed below.

1. Able to submerge in water (from coil to control box is a plus)
2. Good reliable company
3. Good depth range
4. Nice display read out to tell whats what (really good interface).

I am going to be coin searching 99% of the time. But would like to take it in the water to search, and not have to worry if the entire thing gets submerged.

Detecting GOLD is a plus, I am just looking for a good solid detector, just don't know where to start.

Price range, well is still up in the air.

Thank You,
nick

Upvote 0

mramsoil

Mar 1, 2009
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i w/ Sunray DX1, D2, 6x9, & Detech 13" coils, BH300, Surfmaster Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know of a MD that meets all those criteria. If you can accept a control box that's not waterproof, then that opens it up a bit. Everyone (almost) has a brand that they are loyal to for various reasons. I happen to be a White's man.
My reasons are:
1. Top notch service, they replaced a Beachhunter that was out of warrantee. And it came with a new warrantee.
2. Made in America. Not too many you can say that about.
3. Easy to use. Their user interface is easy to understand and use. Even the V3i, which can be overwhelming at first glance, is still a turn on and go MD.
That said, are you hunting beaches only, or are you hunting dirt also? Waterproof machines don't, to my knowledge, give a depth reading other than intensity of the audio. Most water machines don't have screens, the White's Beachhunter does have lights to indicate low, medium, and high conductivity targets.
To my knowledge, all major brands' coils are waterproof.
If you're going to hunt on land more than water, I would concentrate on getting a land machine. If you're going to hunt mostly in water, then a good water machine should be the one to go for. No machine that I know of does it all. Whatever you buy, just take the time to learn what it tells you and you won't go wrong.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To date there is only one detector that meets all your needs as being waterproof and having a display as most of the good waterproof ones don't have a display as it isn't needed. The Garrett AT Pro fits the bill but runs near $600.

You can pick up a used Fisher 1280 for less with no display. Neighter of these is good for saltwater wet sand without being unstable. For that you need a lot more $$$. They will all find gold rings if you are ready to dig lots of pull tabs as this can't be avoided.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes the Garrett AT Pro is a good fresh water detector,i think you will like it,most do.
Thanks Gary G.A.P.metal

lovelylea

Oct 3, 2011
Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you use the Garrett AT on the beach but not directly in the water?

Chuck In Oregon

Jun 16, 2004
Cottage Grove, Oregon
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, CZ-20, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently got back into this hobby and I had the same question. I chose an AT Pro and I got it from Bart at Big Boys Hobbies. I am more than satisfied with my choice of detector and dealer. Having said that, I'm going up to the White's factory this week with a couple of friends who are in exactly the same place you are and I was. At the very least, it should be an interesting field trip. They both know what I bought and they have both borrowed my CZ-Pro a time or two. Now they can decide for themselves.

Good luck. You're going to enjoy it.

Chuck

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can use the Garrett AtPro in saltwater, it's recommended to use pro mode in salt. I used mine a few weeks ago in Panama City Fl with no chatter at all.

If I can help you in any way, give me a call!

Wayne
(832) 928-9135

http://www.MetalDetectingStuff.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread