good day good first finds

bullshrink

Jan 14, 2012
western mass
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it still cold here in massachusetts but my son and i went out today anyway. not much snow on the ground so we hit a old cellar hole 500 ft down the road. on a couple old maps the house is shown on the 1852 map but not in the 1940s census map ive got.so its old! we spent around hour detecting near he cellar hole and in the small field around it.despite still trying to learn the whites mxt we were able to find a old spoon on the side of the cellar that hit mid 50s on the vdi scale. very thin with markings on the handle. we then found a modern rifle cartridge about 7 ins down in the field.and then we found another old spoon that hit 60 on the vdi scale around 8 in down.most of the area has snow still but cant wait to get back out.how do you age these spoons?( if there is a way)i cant wait for a coin!

Upvote 0

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bullshrink said:
it still cold here in massachusetts but my son and i went out today anyway. not much snow on the ground so we hit a old cellar hole 500 ft down the road. on a couple old maps the house is shown on the 1852 map but not in the 1940s census map ive got.so its old! we spent around hour detecting near he cellar hole and in the small field around it.despite still trying to learn the whites mxt we were able to find a old spoon on the side of the cellar that hit mid 50s on the vdi scale. very thin with markings on the handle. we then found a modern rifle cartridge about 7 ins down in the field.and then we found another old spoon that hit 60 on the vdi scale around 8 in down.most of the area has snow still but cant wait to get back out.how do you age these spoons?( if there is a way)i cant wait for a coin!

Cool finds! We love pictures!!!

OP
OP
bullshrink

bullshrink

Jan 14, 2012
western mass
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
trying to get pics up

Attachments

• DSC00853.JPG
    DSC00853.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 363
OP
OP
bullshrink

bullshrink

Jan 14, 2012
western mass
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
another

Attachments

• DSC00855.JPG
    DSC00855.JPG
    285.9 KB · Views: 360
  • DSC00855.JPG
    DSC00855.JPG
    285.9 KB · Views: 344
  • DSC00855.JPG
    DSC00855.JPG
    285.9 KB · Views: 351

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's pretty darn cool. I've not found a way to look up old spoons yet. If I stumble onto a site I'll post the link for ya. Thanks for posting the pic's bullshrink. HH! :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread