1800s house site questions

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy All. I went with a friend to an old house site in the woods. The house doesn't show up on the local 1920 map. If it hadn't been for the daffodils, we probably wouldn't have found it. Both chimneys are down and no sign of wood left. We found lots of broken cast iron pots and cast farm tools but no coins or buttons. My best finds were a hand forged hoe and a R. Esterbrooks & co # 1 pen nib. My friend found a nice early spoon. I am using a Tesoro Compadre and he is using a 1970s Whites Coinmaster. It seems logical to me that the large pieces of cast would be in the top 6 inches just because they are to bulky to sink. Would the coins or smaller stuff be deeper? I recently traded for a Garrett GTAX 550 with the 12 1/2 inch Deepseeker coil and the 4 inch sniper coil. I have used it some for coin hunting in parks but am not as comfortable with it as i am the Compadre. Should i try it at this site and which coil would you use? Thanks Steve

Upvote 0

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Most the stuff I find in the woods don't go very deep. Especially the coins and buttons. It seems the lighter stuff stays closer to the surface. Old cellar hole sites like you're talking about take a long time to hunt. At least for me they do. There's a whole lot of iron bits and pieces to try and work around.

-Swartzie

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi Steve
Take two coils a big and a small try the small one first.
If you get no good targets at the house try the find the apple orchard it should be close to the old house site and less iron in the ground.
Gary G.A.P.metal

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advise. I am going to try to go back there this weekend and will let you know if i get lucky. I just realized yesterday that i did get something else at the site. POISON IVY ! steve

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had on gloves and a long sleeve shirt. Came home and washed everything including me with bleach. three days later wore the shirt again and got it on both wrist and my right eye is almost swolen shut. Off to the doctor today. Poison Ivy SUCKS.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Steve, everything from the same time period will be at the same dept. Things don't sink in the ground, they get covered by decaying vegitation, blowing dirt etc. Now try to get to the site early. The low sun will cast small shadows of old walkways and depressions where sheds were. Watch out for the old well site. Some were covered with wood that has rotted. Check the stand out items like fences, large rocks and the base of old trees or stumps for possible cache locations. Use the big coil, it's faster. Good luck

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-3.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-3.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 326
  • hand print-2_edited-3.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-3.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 321

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Like stated above, just keep at it. Dig everything.

It's true that most old finds aren't deep if out in the wild. Stuff is deep in parks and currently used yards due to landfill and foot/vehicle traffic.

I've found 150 year old (heavy) axe heads 1 inch deep or right on the surface if the leaves were blown away.

It's a myth that time causes all targets to go deeper.

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advise guys. We went to a corn field today {no poison ivy} that had a 1748 store/ inn on it somewhere. I found 4 pices of lead, chain link? and a old nail. Lead and link were on one rise within a 100 foot circle. Lead ball is about 1/4 inch and very irregular shaped. largest piece looks like flattened bullet. Any idea on the age of this stuff? Thanks Again steve

Attachments

• IMG_6160.JPG
    IMG_6160.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_6161.JPG
    IMG_6161.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_6162.JPG
    IMG_6162.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_6160.JPG
    IMG_6160.JPG