Prizm IV uprage to Garrett Pro?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is how it usually starts......... :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:
Once you start thinking you aren't impressed with the detector your presently using you wonder what a newer one is like. I for one was not impressed with the early AT PRO I had, but now It works as it should. There are lots of detectors that I think are better than the AT PRO at the same price range. One of them to consider is the Teknetics Omega 8000 Metal Detector, or the Fisher F-5. The only advantage is when using the AT PRO is you can hunt in the rain or wade with it. Or you can opt for higher end used one like the Fisher CZ-6a /which I like to think of as the land version of the CZ20. :icon_thumleft:

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
vabuckhunter
I see a lot say they aren`t impressed with the prizm IV, so many are happy with the Tek Omega 8000 i see it braged up all the time here...lite and deep.
When the AT Pro first came out, they had lots of problems with it, guess it is fixed now... i like some of the older analog but they are heavy,but seem to to the job for me
Gary G.A.P.metal

thearchivedept

Greenie
Dec 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have same a Whites Prizm IV I was curious as to what you feel it limits are? Here is mine, I been using alot at wood chip tot lots and it works great 0-7 inches. On sand it works OK, On soil it seems like it just isn't "powerful" enough. On soil I have to go slow and often have to go over a target several times to get a pinpoint. I often get it to read plus 8 inches dig 8 inches or so and just have to stop don't really know if it is there and how deep. I love the turn on and go and most times it is what it says it is on the display. I think it has worked great as a starter unit for me and I starting to think about what I would like next. But I also doing what all say here learn you unit and get real good at reading what it is saying. Do you find something similar in your opinion?
Billy

goodmore

Nov 12, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX / XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT Pro is a step up from the Prizm IV for a few reasons.

Ground balance ability. The fixed ground balance of the Prizm will limit performance. The ability to offset the ground balance on the AT Pro makes it hotter and more stable under certain conditions. The Prizm series with fixed ground balance also suffer from target lagging.

The expanded range of iron discrimination. You can knock out iron on the AT Pro in stages. It leaves you the ability to hunt for certain relics or pick out masked targets better. The Prizm is a big chop. The At Pro is a surgical slice.

Iron audio on the AT Pro helps determine good targets from bad. A nice extra feature that can save you from digging holes you don't need to.

Audio role. The AT Pro has a better audio system for distinguishing targets.

The ability to get it wet has been mentioned already. Also the ability to hose it off and clean it is nice.

I also enjoy the flexibility of the Pro or standard modes.

Both are made by wonderful companies, but the AT Pro flat out is a better detector in my opinion.

I never tried the F5 or the Omega 8000. I hear good things about both.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I'd certainly agree the AT Pro is better than a Prizm! Until recently, with most detectors, if we wanted to dig without digging much trash, we had to either limit ourselves to shallow coins (mostly clad), or dig everything, as a detector just gave an I don't know visual on deep targets. The visual ID would jump all over, or lock onto iron or dollar on anything deep.

Engineers had a few choices on what to do with the audio when a coin was too deep to ID: silence, solid beep on everything, broken beep or an intermittent beep. And some detectors lost 50% depth rejecting pulltabs.

Relatively new software has allowed engineers to correct these things.

I use the AT Pro in a way most wouldn't advise, but is simple & relaxing:
I use STD mode, sensitivity 7, coins program. It didn't work too well until
I started using manual ground balance, then I got much deeper.

Silent searching, very stable. Then, a loud beep. A very tilted quarter at 4". Then, more silence until another loud beep. Detector gave high tone on every sweep, with ID#s 80-85, the range for dimes, & depth indicator said about 8" (has even #s only).

Down 7" in dry, hard, mineralized dirt, there was a dime! A tie for my deepest coin ever, as I only dig probable coin signals. Most detectors, in my soil, can only ID a dime down to 3"-5". The 7" dime probably sat there 20-30+ years & this park has been detected hundreds of times.

The AT Pro air test, STD mode, sensitivity 7: loud beeps on dime to 10", quarter to 11", nickel to 12". Detects small gold. Dime is whisper at 10" in PRO mode. Pro mode can do some tricks, like detect a dime under a nail. Separation is well above average with stock DD coil. Uses 4 AAs.

The other detector I like that may be slightly more is the Teknetics G2, which has the same innards as the Fisher Gold Bug Pro DP. On my dime planted 5"+ & slightly tilted, ID jumps between zinc & dime. Still a good beep raising coil 2"-3". Dime whispers at 10" in ait test. Larger display than hard to read AT Pro & has continuous display of ground phase to let you know when it is time to redo the ground balance.

With dual processors, you get a soft beep & tiny number on rejected items like iron. I think this is why it can detect coins by iron. Even lighter than AT Pro. 1 9 volt. Detects very small gold. Best wishes, George (MN)

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using the Prizm IV for about 1 1/2 years. I love mine! Four gold rings,five silver and other pieces of gold and silver jewelry. Lots of older coins and it is usually what the screen says it is. I may upgrade in the future to something I can prospect with, but I will never give this machine up!
HH
enamel7

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread