Vaquero vs Delta 4000.

justanotherbarber

Jan 30, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Vaquero, Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I received my Vaquero the other day and took them to the park by my house to compare them. I had them set as close to each other as possible and found that they are very different.

They acted the same on shallow targets, less then 3 inches. The 4000 would ID them quite accuratly and the Vaq gave solid mellow sounds. On the deeper targets the 4000's meter would bounce and there would be one way sounds yhat varied in pitch. The Vaq gave soild sounds both ways with a mellow tone.

Using the 4000, I got a 82-83 signal about 6 inches deep with one way sounds that vanished every third swing. I got the Vaq over the target and had a awesome solid repeatable signal. I dug down 7 inches and pulled out a tiny sterling kids ring with turquoise.

After that I dug a wheatie, the 4000 read all over the place, even the depth meter. The Vaq nailed it with a nice steady tone. Then I dug a Match box car at at least 10 inches. The Vaq located it with a decent signal, with sens at 7. The 4000 did'nt read it at all, even with sens at 12 and even in all metal.

I LOVE the Vaq and think that will be my main unit. I do have to praise the 4000 in it's ability to ID nickles and tabs with ease. And the pinpointing is top notch. I'm not a meter kind of guy but wanted to try one, and feel I would have to dig every signal with the 4000 so why not just use the Vaq.

I'll still keep the 4000 as a back up or a loaner.

Upvote 0

leatherneck

Apr 20, 2009
St. Petersburg, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug DP
Hello justanotherbarber; I experienced the same thing when I had a Garrett grand master hunter III and then bought a Tesoro El Dorado. The garrett machine had all the bells and whistles including the ability to talk to me and tell me what it found. The Tesoro only had manual ground balance. When the Garrett machine wouldn't see the target the Tesoro would sound off loud and clear. I would have to put the 12 inch coil on the Garrett to sound off at six inches. I think it was too much power going to the bells and whistles and not the coil... Needless to say I sold the Garrett. I have been a Tesoro fan every since. Have fun :headbang:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
leatherneck said:
Hello justanotherbarber; I experienced the same thing when I had a Garrett grand master hunter III and then bought a Tesoro El Dorado. The garrett machine had all the bells and whistles including the ability to talk to me and tell me what it found. The Tesoro only had manual ground balance. When the Garrett machine wouldn't see the target the Tesoro would sound off loud and clear. I would have to put the 12 inch coil on the Garrett to sound off at six inches. I think it was too much power going to the bells and whistles and not the coil... Needless to say I sold the Garrett. I have been a Tesoro fan every since. Have fun :headbang:
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe some of the power goes to that display instead of performance. My F2 would pick up a 22 cal pellet in air, but not sitting on ground. My $160 Compadre finds pellets IN the ground. It's much more sensitive and almost as deep. I got my Vaquero because I liked the Compadre so much. I figured I couldn't go wrong with any Tesoro. I think I'm going to need a bigger shovel!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread