Need info on using Etrac to find wellhead

Gunny71

Jan 14, 2009
Texas by Gawd
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This coming Friday I will need to use my Etrac to try and locate a plugged oil well. It should be a piece of 8 5/8 pipe with a flat plate or cap welded on it, and will be approximately three feet deep. Does anyone know if the Etrac will be able to locate this?
Thank in advance.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't help you with that model, but in general: zero discrimination/All Metal mode. Start with the sensitivity low so every nail and rusty metal chip doesn't block you. Start in the corner of the house nearest the water tank (obviously).

After you find it write it's location in pencil on the wall behind the tank for the next poor shmoe.

My brother-in-law was trying to find his and had spent a day digging with no success. He called and I traveled to his house with my detector to help. He had a huge hole where he thought it was and had piled all the dirt off where he knew the well head was not. I searched where he suggested, then fanned out. Found lots of things, including a three foot claw foot pry bar, but no well head.

And, of course, it turned out to be smack under the center of the huge pile of dirt where he "knew it could not be". :D

OP
OP
Gunny71

Gunny71

Jan 14, 2009
Texas by Gawd
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I'm just gonna have to try it. This is an oil well though, out in the middle of a pasture. I should be able to get close to where it's at.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gunny
If that Etrac has a relic mode i would use that.I would think that a top of the line detector would pick up a metal plate 8" wide at 3'.
Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread