New Site to Metal Detect?

Sterling in Va

Feb 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done some research about the area in which i live, and have found out that there was an old baptist church about half a mile from my house. It was in existence from the 1770's to the 1830's, when it was taken down to a new location, which is also near my house, now occupied by a CVS pharmacy.(That church was also destroyed, at the turn of the century, yet the cemetery remains, now at a major intersection) I was wondering what the chance would be to detect anything at the old church site, now nothing but woods. I would be using a Fisher F2.
Thanks.

Upvote 0

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
GO!!!! You've got 60 yrs of church activity, tt the very least you may find a few coins. Since you're in Central VA, the hub of the Civil War, there may be more there than those few coins. As has been said before, if there was human activity, there is a chance to find something. Just stay away from the cemetery...

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check out the areas around the old church grounds where the picnics and "socials" would have been held. Flats areas. Fewer trees. Under large trees where the kids would have played ESPECIALLY if they have low hanging branches. Any streams very close to the church area? TTC

OP
OP
S

Sterling in Va

Feb 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I meant by "would I find anything" was that would my Fisher F2 go that deep? 200 years of dirt is a lot, so I was wondering if my little begginers metal detector would go deep enough to pick up a coin, or anything else for that matter. Oh, and also-Terry C- the church was at the intersection of 2 creeks, if that helps

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sterling in Va said:
What I meant by "would I find anything" was that would my Fisher F2 go that deep? 200 years of dirt is a lot, so I was wondering if my little begginers metal detector would go deep enough to pick up a coin, or anything else for that matter. Oh, and also-Terry C- the church was at the intersection of 2 creeks, if that helps
Your F2 is very up to the task. Not my first choice but very sure you have enough machine. Go for it! Two streams? I am DROOLING! TTC

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I bet it is not a new site to metal tecters. That sight has seen tecters before, you can bet your eye teeth on it. But even if not, you will want a bigger coil than stock on the F2, it is effective, but it is not deep with the stock coil. If you only run the stock coil, and the site is virgin, you should be finding some goodies. Expect tons of iron trash. But expect some good hits.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread