Detecting with my Plat Maps 1904

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have this hugh Plat Map book of Chemung Co. N.Y. for 30 years use it sometimes and today was 1 of them.
To anyone who has ever carried one around with them they r big 15"X19" and its from 1904 and in sad shape,but a goldmine.
Been park hunting in the area ssoooo much crap in the parks and ball fields people just throw everything,haven`t hunted in town of Elmira N.Y. in 20 yera and it a lot worse that i remember.
For you guys from the south in the War of Northern Aggr. there was a prisoner of war camp here in Elmira Rebs called it Hellmira lot of good boy died here.
Back to the Plat book i had noticed a long time ago the one whole city block was a horse race track called Maple Ave Driving Park so there was a Grandstand and out building...all houses now.
So i get out of my car and open that big Plat Map book on the trunk of my car (in the trunk are to detectors) and im looking the place over and this guy comes walking across the street named Race St. and he looked at me kinda funny i smiled and he smiled and is said to him Did You know this used to be a race track in 1904 and he says nnaaaaww i live here 49 yrs. and i said ya see this book and i showed him his house that he lived in was not there, but was indeed a race track.He just starts smiling and is realy gettin into the book and how it sits to his propety.
I am telling him that im looking for premmision to detect and he says My Wife lost her gold Dimond rings in the garden 15 years ago.....Wow this is better than i thought.so i give him my bissness card of when i sold metel detectors and it has my name and # Add.
So we got stright to the garden i got a Fisher CZ6a and my 10" digger and he has a black plastic tarp on top of the garden steel and metal poles laying on the tarp so hard to run the machine there did get a pull tab and the hood of a kid kids 50s dodge hotweels or such i tell him i`ll gladly come back when he opens up the garden.....he agrees
Ihunt the side yard and pull up a 67 dime and he is amazed at that this guy is so cool he offers me a big shovle to dig with but i tell him that would make a mess and his lawn is in beautyful shape the next two good signels turned out to be 1880 1891 IH then a merc dime 19 something to warn to tell he was gettin tired and so i left but before i did he had geven me his name and phone # and a can go back anytime . iI did find some junk and he was happy lookinf at the junk i gave him the coins hes a nice guy.
His house would be just in the parking lot of this old race track 3 to 4 houses a way from the grandstands ...guy nextdoor was watchin seemed itrerested and i think i can work my way around the block if i play my cards right.
Gary G.A.p.metal

Upvote 0

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool story Gary.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The real deal, Gary!
Good story. Tnx. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread