Need old Nuts & Volts Metal Detector Article named "M5" Detector by Nick Goss

Radioactive

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2005
South Florida
Need old Nuts & Volts Metal Detector Article named "M5" Detector by Nick Goss

Hellol,

I am looking for a Nuts & Volts article by Nick R. Goss called the M5 Metal Detector that I can not seem to find (I think I loaned it to someone and it was never returned). I have Nicks Nuts & Volts M3 article in the August 1993 issue, but it's a TX-RX unit. I want to build the M5 which I believe was a PI (Pulse Induction) metal detector. I just can not remember all of the article or date of issue. I would think it would be after the 1993 issue, but I could be wrong. I could search on line at the Nuts & Volts site, but it only starts at 1996 issues. I looked through some of my 1993, 94, and 95 issues, but I am missing a few over the years. I do remember it used a very nice search coil that had 168 turns over a 1/4 inch tube that would producing half of the search coil head. This was a nice approach to produce a coil that had the look of a loop dipole antenna. It made a loop, with the ends that came together with a gap of 1/8 inch at the tips. This would reduce a lot of noise from ferrous material as I remember the article stating.

I want to build and modify this detector with some DSP (Digital Signal Processing) that I have used in the past two detectors I built. DSP lets me control a lot of filtering and let only the phase pulse I want to get through. I then can choose the material I want to find from all the others.

So anyway, if anyone could point me to the date of the Nuts & Volts issue, or the article it self. Please PM me.

Thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Radioactive

Radioactive

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2005
South Florida
Still need old Nuts & Volts Metal Detector Article named "M5" Detector

Thanks BB for the message and the heads up on the Nuts & Volts volume 14 number 8, August 1993 article by Nick R. Goss and Cyance Kit. I did find it after you gave me a place to start, it had lost it's cover. This was not the Nuts & Volts article I was looking for, but it was the M3 metal detector. The one I am looking for is the M5 metal detector. I do think now, that Nick also wrote this article. I do remember the coil winding being of 168 turns on a 1/4 OD plastic tube, twice, one for each side. I do think it was a TX-RX type because of the coil windingsl, but I could be wrong. It may also be a PI type, I just cannot remember, it's been to long. So I am still looking for the M5 article, date and issue. If anyone knows Nick R. Goss's PM e-mail address in the UK or if he monitors this list, please let me know. Thanks Robert

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions