Dillis

Even if its junk, It's a find..
Mar 11, 2012
Fayetteville, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT and Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm trying to find new places to metal detect. Been to a few parks, but I would like to find more than present day coins. Advice is often given to research the INTERNET the attain info about how a town or community looked many years ago. And also about were civil war encampments and battles were located. I have searched and searched, even browsed TreasureNet looking in the forums for some info or leads. I am not having very much luck finding this info. Any help would be appreciated....

Upvote 0

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Talk to some of the old folks in your town. Can tell you much about the area.
Anyplace the old folks gather; church, clubs, old folks homes, places where they
gather to meet.

have a good un..............
SHERMANVILLE

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Suggestion: Contact and visit your local Historical Society.
Be discreet in your questions, and even more discreet in your responses to their questions.
Don........

Great advice.....

You can also check the local library for books on local history, and check the flea markets and local antique shops for old local postcards, old maps.... Look for old Harpers Weeklys newspapers....

williamsingr

Mar 15, 2012
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT PRO, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check with a realtor and see if she can get you a list of all the historical houses in the area, just ell her your interested in buying a house. Check your farms in the area and see if any have any history to them. Look for old vacant homes falling down, all these places you will find old coins.

OP
OP
Dillis

Dillis

Even if its junk, It's a find..
Mar 11, 2012
Fayetteville, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT and Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:wave: Thanks for all the suggestions....

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Do a search for Sanborn maps. If you know a college student, they can probably get them for you for free, but even if you have to pay a little for them, they're worth it. :)

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I'm trying to find new places to metal detect. Been to a few parks, but I would like to find more than present day coins. Advice is often given to research the INTERNET the attain info about how a town or community looked many years ago. And also about were civil war encampments and battles were located. I have searched and searched, even browsed TreasureNet looking in the forums for some info or leads. I am not having very much luck finding this info. Any help would be appreciated....

Well it depends on the type of hunting you want to do. Some people prefer to yard hunt, some prefer parks, others farms and fields. All the above info is great advice.

What we do is research the areas we live in try and find homes that date to the early 1900s (old for our area) and then try and ask homeowners for permission. Sometimes they say yes, sometimes no. A lot of times they want to see what you find and they may ask to keep items you found. I always give up the items because it earns me some respect from the homeowner and they know I'm not going to cheat them and they often times will let you come back or even tell you about more places to try. With that said, if the homeowner follows you around and takes everything you find, politely excuse yourself and leave. It's NO fun digging up even junk targets (keys, hot wheel cars etc) and having everything you dig taken by the homeowner.

One other thing I do is once I'm done hunting the property and if I find anything interesting I show the homeowner and try to observe what they like and didn't like that I found. I then make a small shadow box and take it back to the homeowner with a few of the items they seemed to like but didn't ask for. That good will gesture has gotten me a few really good places to hunt.

The truth is, there are places out there to hunt. Do not be afraid to go where others have hunted either. If you go slow and take your time there is almost always some other good targets to recover.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread