New to this

digginginVA

Mar 29, 2012
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to first say that I am very excited to have found this website. I am having a wonderful time going through and reading posts and looking at everyone's finds.

I have 2 things that I am looking for help with.

1) I live in Northern Virginia. When we bought our property there was (still is) an old brick foundation of a very small room with a tin roof laying on top of it. When the lot was cleared to build our house the roof was taken away. Starting a few years ago I began finding many things laying on the ground while walking around which led me to digging in the ground to find more (have not had to dig very deep to find things). At first I was confinced that my husband was throwing things out back to keep me out of the shopping malls. I now have bags of things that I have found. Pottery - some intact and some in pieces, glass bottles - again some intact and some not, china, doll parts, farm equipment, buttons, pot belly stove door, and so much more. I do know that there was a nurses hospital in our neighborhood during the civil war and troops came through here during that time. This was also farm lands after that and possibly tobacco fields, but I am not sure if that is rumor or not. In the 1940's a fire came through and wiped out alot including this one room house. When I dug there you could smell the "fire" smell in the earth.
About 10 feet from this room is a big sunken hole that has gotten deeper as time is going on. It is probably about 4 feet by 4 feet and 3 feet deep. I am wondering if this is something that I should be digging in? And if so, how should I go about doing it?

2) is there a book or website that I can easily identify what I have found?

I hope that what I have written makes sense. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

TK in VA

Mar 30, 2012
Front Royal
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've never dug one myself, but I do know that there's a real technique to it. I think they use a rod to probe it for glass. Then they carefully start digging...

TK in VA

Mar 30, 2012
Front Royal
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Check out the post, "Never miss a chance to dig a privy" That's what I was talking about!

OP
OP
D

digginginVA

Mar 29, 2012
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did read that. That takes patience. Haha. I would most likely just start digging and see what I find. Thank you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread