Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found that it is randomly scattered. Just pick an area and walk up and down the rows and dig every signal that isn't iron.

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From all the I've read here on TNet... the old farm fields can yield some great finds!

From old rings to Spanish silver to uniform buttons.... endless!!!

But I agree, could be scattered all about unless you've done some reseach about that particular area to find specific building's that were there.

Everytime I drive by a open field I stare at it looking for the potential it has to offer. Once I stopped briefly at a corn field near a creek bed and dug a 1859 Indian Head Cent.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
What you need to remember is those fields werent always plowed cropland....they might have been complete forests 100 years ago or a small community that no longer exsists . Get old maps and study them...Maybe its the case where the neighboring farmer bought up all the smaller farms and bulldozed the house or barns....old maps will show you these locations ....

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
here's a teaser for ya..........as soon as the corn is cut (AAAARRGGGGHHHHHH, THE BRUTAL ANTICIPATION !!!!!!), I have full permission to dig up a cornfield here in Wis. The thing is, a school sat smack in the middle of the field at the turn of the century!!!!! So far I think the best part of hardcore hunting is the research, it really can be an adventure. From the modern road, there is no concievable way to tell there was anything but corn there, ever. You never know, unless you look.

very best of luck - HH!!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gypsy is on the ball. You have to find out what the land was used for before it was a farm. As a farm, the buildings might not have always been in the same place. Any large trees in the fields are prime spots for the farmer to rest in the shade, etc. Fence rows and tree lines, around stock ponds.

Good luck and close all gates and take out all trash. If the farmer sees you care for his land, you will be welcome back.

Sandman

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
What about fields that were *always* fields? Is there any point in hunting them or did there have to be something else there to make it worth while?

K

Kentucky Kache

mlw67 said:
What about fields that were *always* fields? Is there any point in hunting them or did there have to be something else there to make it worth while?

Arrowheads and meteorites. Of course, you have to plow to find the arrowheads.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
mlw67 said:
Take a good look at that field...find out where the best spot would be to take a lunch break...most of the guys just sat in the shade on a hot day to take a break from plowing or haying... If I know its been a field forever,then I tend to stay close to the outer edge,where they would have hitched up the machinery,changed wagons or take a break. Also the old direct path back to the house....
But ...again I need to stress ther importance of maps .
And the same goes with heavy wooded areas...what is now completely overgrown area could have been a nice town,school yard,racetrack etc ....then you hunt it all.

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
The single biggest factor in finding a field or forest to hunt(that I've found so far) is research. I found an old homestead that is invisible from the road, but plainly obvious from older aerial photos. I found a reference to an entire town of 80 families in a newspaper article from 1907, the town was abandoned almost 150 years ago, to date it is unmapped, the site the town is on is now all woods. I also have the cornfield that I mentioned above. I probably have enough spots right now to last me the next 20 years, but as it's been said many times, "the treasure is in the hunt". One of my favorite pasttimes recently has been filling my "diggers journal" with new info on historical sites in my local area.

There is NO substitute for good research, it WILL narrow down the dud spots. What has worked for me is a google search for - my state>my county>history. Also try adding city names, the keywords - school, church, etc.... Many times the best places you'll pin down are smack in the middle of a field or woods. Every night that I get home I'm searching the net for new spots.

As far as hunting fields, or any spot, I usually don't worry about it unless I know there has been something there, and finding that out is easier than you might think. After all, if you're feet are the first that have ever walked there, the odds of finding anything good are worse than slim.

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
I agree oro, the only problem we have here, is that they're all just dug ditches.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Endless plowing pulls relics all over the field from the edges to the middle. Best to grid out the field and work it section by section.

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Farm fields are hit or miss. Depends on what was there at one time. The best thing is to use a large coil in those clean areas to cover as much ground as possible.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most fields will give up a few interesting finds. Seems like the tractor entrance is always a good spot, other than that, it's just luck unless you know an old homestead or something had been there. Research!!! A field that produces well will produce again after it has been plowed or after it sits through a long period, in my case, over winter or summer. They will also produce more when they are very wet but, you might not want to get on one in the rain, mud really sticks to your boots! A small trick for the fields, if you find an iffy target, just kick about an inch or so of dirt off the top if you can and rescan the target, if it gets worse or stays the same it is probably junk, a good target should get better however, I try to dig it all. HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread