How do I get it?

frankendime

Mar 8, 2012
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
Other
Went to my local city park couple or three days ago and walked around a bit and there are 2 big sand volleyball courts. Got me thinking, I bet there is coin or jewelry out there. Walked around a bit looking for signs and found the bulletin board and no mention of metal detectors being banned. Stopped a young fellow out there trimming hedges and asked him about metal detecting within the park, and he said far as I know there is no rule against it.
So, yesterday I drug out my 15 yr old Bounty Hunter and found a kitty litter scoop, I'm strictly an amateur, and headed to the park. Spent about 30 minutes just going around the outside edge of one pit and found about 46 cents change and a Hot Wheel car. Older park employee comes riding up on his 4 wheel machine and tells me metal detectors not allowed. I told him my story from a day or two ago, and he says these young guys don't know nothing I been working here 20 yrs and detecting is not allowed. He said some fool come in here a few years back and dug holes all over the park, so now there is a rule against em.
Judging by my short time detecting and my finds, I have come to the conclusion that those pits are full of coin and who knows what. They are heavily used. I drive by the park often and see people out there jumping around and coins falling out of their pockets and jewelry coming off em. Comes to the question: How do I get it? Thought about building a small screen and taking the grandkids out there to "play" in the sand with a couple small shovels. With adult supervision, of course. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
call or go in to the local parks dept and speak with the administrator about the issue...Sometimes folks realize that you are going to be responsible about things if you take the time to come in and speak to them about it.... and see if they will issue you a "Special Use" permit. They will have your name and address so if they see you out there they can check your permit if you are indeed making a "Mess" of things.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

I had a similar situation where there was no such real rule. More or less just a "policy" for probably just a single worker or two. And yeah, their rationale was the same as what you were told "... because some guy left holes...". So my friend and I tried to show the fellow that we were being neat, and aren't leaving any trace. The sympathetic park worker looked around at where we'd been, and had to agree. Yet he said he was bound anyhow, to tell us. However, with a wink, he said that what we do after he leaves, and what he doesn't see, doesn't bother him. So with that we promptly asked him "what time do you get off work?" He answered "30 minutes". With that, my friend and I just took a seat at a picnic table to sit and gab for 30 min, and just waited for him to leave :)

That was 5 yrs. ago. Anytime I've worked parks in this particular city since then, no one else has ever said "boo". So who knows if it's a real rule, or just that we had a "bullseye" on us, because we happened to be there and got a connotation in *just* this one fellow's mind.

And for pete's sake, you're doing SAND, not turf, so I really don't understand your fellow's logic. Can you just come back on a Sunday when there's no municipal park worker's on shift?

Went to my local city park couple or three days ago and walked around a bit and there are 2 big sand volleyball courts. Got me thinking, I bet there is coin or jewelry out there. Walked around a bit looking for signs and found the bulletin board and no mention of metal detectors being banned. Stopped a young fellow out there trimming hedges and asked him about metal detecting within the park, and he said far as I know there is no rule against it.
So, yesterday I drug out my 15 yr old Bounty Hunter and found a kitty litter scoop, I'm strictly an amateur, and headed to the park. Spent about 30 minutes just going around the outside edge of one pit and found about 46 cents change and a Hot Wheel car. Older park employee comes riding up on his 4 wheel machine and tells me metal detectors not allowed. I told him my story from a day or two ago, and he says these young guys don't know nothing I been working here 20 yrs and detecting is not allowed. He said some fool come in here a few years back and dug holes all over the park, so now there is a rule against em.
Judging by my short time detecting and my finds, I have come to the conclusion that those pits are full of coin and who knows what. They are heavily used. I drive by the park often and see people out there jumping around and coins falling out of their pockets and jewelry coming off em. Comes to the question: How do I get it? Thought about building a small screen and taking the grandkids out there to "play" in the sand with a couple small shovels. With adult supervision, of course. Any thoughts?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you go to find out about the policy, take the grandkids with you. a VERY persuasive... and sneaky.... trick, but it WORKS! TTC

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think alot of these guys feel they own the parks and set the rules even if theres no rules/law on the books...so there was a bad egg in the bunch i got acouple of them around here that leave trash under every plug i find already dug and a scan shows garbage still in the hole...but id challenge anyone who told me i cant do something that is legal to do ...and im pretty good at a challenge ;-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread