jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use an IN-LINE probe Religously. even on large objects, As I'm setting my detector down to dig, the switch has been flicked, and my hands pulling the probe from its clips, and getting used.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
I recently acquired a precision II probe when I perchased my new CZ-3D.
Haven't used it yet... not too sure if it would help much, as it only picks up a signal from a coin about 1" away...
I figure by the time I'm a inch away from a target, it won't be long before I find it...
I would imagine one of the better probes would be great to use, but as for this one, it's size, and no better than it works,, I just leave it in the box...

I should take it out for a field test,,, maybe with the halo effect it will do a better job of getting a signal.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leon said:
I recently acquired a precision II probe when I perchased my new CZ-3D.
Haven't used it yet... not too sure if it would help much, as it only picks up a signal from a coin about 1" away...
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Thats why I like the Sun-Ray INLINE Probe. I get a minumum of 3" depth. & I'd swear a foot & more on Large objects. maby it's partly imagination knowing the objects down there, but it shure seems to sound off. PLUS it Nulls out on large objects close to the surface. (Overload I guess). I do know some of those handhelds have to touch the object to signal. at that point it's too late.

Gretchen

Aug 2, 2004
I don't even own a probe. I am usually in the forest, sandy lake beaches or at playgrounds in the sand or wood chips. I dig with a good garden trowel. I hunt when it is quiet. I don't use earphones. I want to know what's around me. In our forests we have bears, mountain lions, coyotes and rattlesnakes. I don't dig in grass or landscape areas. These areas are my communities and I respect them. I pick up the trash. Most of the finds are recent, but I have found some silver and old items including about 200 old soda pop bottles and whiskeys. I have ordered a 4 inch coil that is good for gold and will use it on my radio shack detectors - I am also in gold country. Gretchen.

G

giterdone

I just got a White's Bullseye probe yesterday and find it really saves lots of time in locating. It only hits from about an inch away on small targets and a little farther on say quarter size. I have damaged targets before so hopefully this will help to not do that. Giterdone

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
use both a coin probe and a Sunray inline X-1 probe. X-1 cuts recovery time - esp. on deep targets.
I've always used a coin probe and got the electronic kind last year.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ocean, I'm curious. being you have the X-1, why did you buy another probe ? CURIOSITY ?? :)

reiferman

Sep 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the X1 with my Explorer II. It sure saves time and helps to make very small holes. ;)

HH
The Reiferman

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jeff of pa - *L* I've always had my first and original coin probe. It goes back to the 80's and is what Kellyco used to call a coin probe. That was way before hand-held electronic probes ever existed.
I'm talking about a 'hardwood-handled probe' with a brass coin probe about 10" long. i thought they were still giving out with MD'er packages.

to sorta see one go to:
http://www.kellycodetectors.com/accessories/trowels.htm

see "Pro V 4-pc. Digging Kit" - far right, middle of page - it's that middle tool in pouch.

I use on grass and to mark the Pinpoint hotspot on coil before moving it away. Place wooden handled coin probe directly over coil hotspot "X" and move coil away and push probe into ground. I'm at exact location that my MD coil says is dead center. Works well!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH O.K. OCEAN, I don't have to go look, I now know what kind of Probe you meen. I actually Found one lying at that lake I was doing, & do remember them from my early days. Just not used to anyone using them any more. I never liked them, being where I'm from, and the Stony conditions of the ground around here, I never even gave one a chance. :)

OnionRings

Dec 15, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I use one and try to use it everytime I get a target.

If you don't want to spend to money on a true probe do what I did and sharpen a phillips screw driver with a grinder it works great.

I bought a pinpoint probe and it stay's in the truck I never use it. If anyone is interested I will sell it. I paid $75.00 bucks for it and I will sell it for $35.00 plus shipping.
Onion ?

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jeff - well I can understand the rocks situation. Still it gives you an exact marker for your PP. You know once you look away from a spot on the ground - you may be off several inches on the dig. On turf this can be a real problem. Saves this type of mistake from happening.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea I do know what you meen, I have that problem every once in awhile.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread