Aimless Wandering

nickmarch

May 30, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I went out without any real plan except to work a small rip I can see from my home. It wasn’t much of a rip! It was very small with very little washed out sand. I got there 2 hours before dead low tide. I found nothing in the rip & wet sand.

On dry sand on my way to the rip I found a penny & 2 pull tabs. On my way out I worked a small square of dry sand. I found a bunch of tabs, a quarter, 3 pennies, a dime, some foil and a very small, very thin piece of what looks like brass. I would show a picture but I pretty much ruined my camera saturday.

My wet suit came. It is supposed to rain later in the day tomorrow. My plan is to get out far enough to get to the back of the sandbar at low tide. I’m going to have to wait until the water calms down so it wont be tomorrow.

I want to see if any of the principals in gold prospecting apply in any way to where heavy and/or high specific gravity items settle to the bottom. Do items of higher specific gravity settle in certain places.

I think rip currents can suck out bigger, heavier items and deposit them behind the sandbar. When the force of the water slows the heavier items will drop. The sandbar builds back up and the heavy items get stuck there. Even in a heavy storm the heavier items have a long way to the wet sand and beach. I don’t know if any of that is true but I’m going to find out!

Attachments

• riptide.gif
    riptide.gif
    12.7 KB · Views: 87
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread