How many pack a handgun when detecting?

Thommy

Mar 12, 2012
Northern Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Nautilus MF, Fisher 1266, Heathkit
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In Florida, as long as you have the landowners permission to carry a gun, you can do so, even without a carry permit. HOWEVER, if you do not get specific permission to carry a gun, but have permission to dig, the landowner can HAVE YOU ARRESTED if you carry without permission onto their land (yes, even if you have a carry permit). I'm not trying to be a Lawyer (God forbid! Gag, cough, hack, spit), but I have run into this myself -bad scene. Personally, when asking permission to hunt rural land, I usually mention, very casual, that I carry a small pistol for snakes (a Walther .380). People here in Florida usually understand that, and most of the time, say okay. Wish I could carry downtown on vacant lots -that's where I need protection from the feral humanoids.

Last edited:

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nobody ever approaches me to bother me. I just wear my bright colored clothing!
index.jpeg

SmokinJoe

May 31, 2012
Jamesville,NY
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE 250, Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
with my 100 pound dog, my digger tool. and my four and half foot detector i feel pretty safe.

SmokinJoe

May 31, 2012
Jamesville,NY
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE 250, Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On the other hand, bringing a dog for protection can have its drawbacks. It is common for individuals to release their fighting dogs on unsuspecting dogs in parks and such just for the purpose of giving their their dog a sparring partner. Always be aware of your surroundings.

LCrebel

Jun 27, 2011
I think it all depends on what type of hunting you do, and the area you hunt.
I'm a relic hunter so I'm in the deep woods 90% of the time. I have come face to face with situations that encouraged me to carry a pistol. So yes I carry its part of my gear. Its just another tool for me. I was hunting a wooded area near the city and ran upon a "tent city" long story short a few of the guys didn't want me in there and made some threats that I take seriously. Another situation I bumped into a family of wild hogs. And they scared me more than the tint city hobos! I have several handguns and I find that my glock 40 is the right tool for me. You don't have to worry about getting it wet or dirty they are built tough! I carry mine holstered with thigh straps and you never know its there until you need it.

BeachComber7

May 12, 2012
Treasure Coast-Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer and Tesoro deLeon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will pack if I am going to a shrub filled area. Never know what's lurking around the scrub, palmettos, down trees, trash and all. I came across a rattler once and had zero protection with me-good thing i didn't step on the thing as i walked along. Went back to the same place a month or two later and happen to catch, from the corner of my eye as i turned, a four legged animal jumping a log. Again, no protection but my shovel and I didn't hang around to see what it was. Since I was in a 'natural area' it was not a dog. So now, i make sure to carry when hunting those kinds of places. I will also carry if i am going to an unsavory area.

detectit

Jan 24, 2009
Better to have it and not need it, than to NEED IT and NOT HAVE IT! Many are being brainwashed by TYRANTS of POWER. What do people believe? That this country was founded, and FOUGHT for with capguns? That 2nd Amendment RIGHT is directly tied to the 1st. The criminals running the country now KNOW that people are basicly of herd mentality. They'll found THEIR MEDIA PROPAGANDA and NOT THINK for themselves. Easier that way. The founders warned of these things we are seeing right now in this country. If guns are removed from the hands of the ones make up the FREEDOM of this country, FASCISM WILL ENSUE. The KING JOHN's will CONTROL. Hitler and his occultist's knew. Notice the stupid ones that followed THEM into that gun pit of lies? He said, "Gun removal would be the greatest day in their nations history" 1938. History WILL repeat if the people get lazy and rely on others to do THEIR THINKING! They KNOW there are always more sheeple (follower of LIES) than strong thinkers.

LCrebel

Jun 27, 2011
So true! The younger Gen. X believe the government will protect them in desperate times. We seen 1st hand how the government took care of the people after Katrina. That was a natural disaster! You have to protect your family and yourself by any means.

prpht3

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do, 9mm Ruger compact. where I have been detecting, I have been confronted with dogs (large ones) in the past befrore I started MD. Plus, where I have been going lately is frequented with deliquents. i would rather have it and not use it, then not having it and needing it. I carry mine everywhere I legally am permitted.

TreasureWriter

Nov 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, I own a .45 cal 1911 and depending upon the location I may or may not carry it. I do have a concealed carry permit and my first 3 rounds are generally snake shot backed up by hollow points. If you look at our pictures in the North Central Pa Ghost Town Group on TreasureNet you'll see a picture of a large bear track next to my wife's foot. We missed running into this bear by less than 15 minutes. I'm generally more concerned by rattle snakes and coyotes however and I have been chased twice by wild domestic dogs.

If I am out alone conducting research on a new site I usually have my side arm and a cell phone although where I go is usually out of cell phone service. If I were to get injured I want protection from dogs e.g. coyotes. This spring I saw 7 in a pack and after 2 killed a young woman in Canada last year I believe that it's better to be safe than dead.

With that being said....I have NEVER had to use my weapon while Treasure Hunting, probably never will and I might be able to simply carry a can of Bear repellant if I chose to do so. I did run into a 5 foot black snake this year....it was aggressive but harmless and after I pinned it down with my detector it slithered into a hole in a stone wall.

Using lethal force is always a last choice!

If you are considering carrying a firearm....get the proper training in its safety and use through the NRA or a local club. You must also obtain a concealed carry permit through your local sheriff's office. Learn how to use your weapon properly in a variety of circumstances and lighting conditions. And NEVER, NEVER draw your weapon unless you are certain that you intend to shoot it and can 100% identify your target. This is not something that you carry to scare or intimidate others. When I am carrying....you will never know it.

TreasureWriter

Nov 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
My last confrontation was this spring with a really nasty domestic dog out running. I was in Gardeau, Pa. researching "Blackbeard's" Treasure in Pennsylvania near Noah Parker's Tomb. A guy saw the dog coming after me and threw it a hunk of meat from his porch to the dog when it was about 30 feet from me. The dog opted for the meat rather than my leg. Yes, I was carrying. No I did not remove my gun from its holster...yet. I was thinking of all of the consequences of shooting the dog. Fortunately I did not have to.

Craig...the guy who threw the meat and I are now friends and we talk about the local treasure legend often and joke about the dog deciding I was too skinny to eat.

I would probably have allowed the dog to bite me before shooting it though. Who knows...it may not have?

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Good point TW !
Loose dogs are my biggest worries.
"My sweet doggie never bit anyone before ! "
I have a permit and sometimes carry but I love dogs too.
Too many people let their dogs run free in a leash law place.
When I have a 100 lb. dog running straight at me and the owner calling dogs name many times
I don't know whether to use pepper spray, taser noise or hope for the best and just try to pet them.
Dog owners should have a licence with training as to proper public manners.
Grey

OP
OP
MickeyMaguire

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TreasureWriter had some good thoughts on CCW and I also appreciate his dog encounter story. My encounter was multiple K-9s and nobody around to throw a piece of meat. I am glad that you were not bitten and made a friend, too.

You are right about conceiled carry. Nobody should be able to tell you are packing if carried properly. And, a CCW is not a license to kill. That is important for people to realize. In fact, in most municipalities, discharging your firearm in self-defense will still get you cuffed and taken to the police station. You will have lots of paperwork and a full investigation before it's over-- maybe a day in court, too. And the victim's family may take you to court (wrongful death, violation of civil rights, etc). Sad, but, true.

Bears, rattlers, feral dogs, protect yourself.

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol!!! Oh no....the situations that come along with detecting.....ya just never know!!!!

FloridaDigger

May 6, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Threats from man or animal, usually don't come with a warning or notice and why I carry a concealed weapon. I carry everyday, including when detecting, to stop a violent threat if it becomes necessary.

Actually self protection and protecting ones family is a fundumental human right acknowledged in the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution. Some of us choose to excercise this right and some don't.

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I carry concealed, where it's legal, but I also carry a small can of pepper spray, in case I need it for dogs. So far haven't needed either, thank God.

Hopster

May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry in my fanny pack on any beach in Florida where I would be far from a crowd.
Small 380 goes in a ziplock in the pouch. If I had to I could fire it without removing it from the bag.
Never had an occasion to think about pulling it in 10 years of living here, beach or not.
I don't trust the many legal implications if I shot a dog and would use pepper spray in that case.

OP
OP
MickeyMaguire

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I brought home a Glock G-17 (9mm) and ordered a Safariland holster for the pistol and the magazines. There are lots of places in Ohio that appeal to me, but, have a growing population of coyote. They brought them to the state for rodent control, but, those critters breed like rabbits themselves. As for feral dogs, they are much more dangerous them the coyotes.

GoGoGopher

Jun 24, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac - 11" Pro, 6" EQ2 coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's an article in this months 'Field & Stream' that says pepper spray stopped 90% of bear attacks while bullets only stopped 66%. If it works on bears it will work on whatever else.

You know what they say about Bear Skat right??? It smells like pepper and rings like tiny bells if you step in it...lol...
In response to the 2 myths that pepper spray and wearing small bells on your clothing will stop a Grizzly from attacking...

As far as handguns go...Be glad I do not own one anymore...I am of the mind that if you approach me with the intent of doing harm, especially in the middle of nowheres...I am gonna shoot and ask questions...NEVER...I will leave your carcass out there for the animals to eat, and noone is going to be the wiser...

HH,

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread