How many pack a handgun when detecting?

FloridaDigger

May 6, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where I detect, there is only a small chance of a dangerous wildlife encounter, other than a rattle snake. Most places are in the country, not the wilderness.

Nevertheless , I have a concealed carry permit and carry every time I leave the house. The greatest threat is from two legged predators. I'm well trained in close quarters defensive firearm tactics and also carry a very effective non-lethal gel pepper spray. Not every situation calls for deadly force to effectively defend yourself. When detecting, if I should ever encounter an aggressive wolf or coyote, which is a possibility, I'm prepared.

BT3

Greenie
Jul 2, 2012
Used to prospect an detect years ago throughout Nevada. Always carried open on the hip. Even when we we're in the little towns around. No one ever batted a eye. Partly for the you never know what might happen and for the one everyone has missed. If you are close enough for others to hear or there is a search party looking for you. Example lost hurt whatever. 3 shots are fired usually as a signal to others to say you need help and the sound helps them locate you. Whistles can also be used but guns are better. Recently I did something for reasons others wouldn't understand but I was close enough to dying that the thought of my gun in the car that could have been used if I had gone to far. I could have croaked myself within less then 1/4 mile from a well traveled road. I learned what I needed to know. Don't need to relearn that lesson ever again. Just my thoughts so others might see another reason then some of the paranoid reasons on why people fear guns. And I have never had to use it when i did take it out of the holster. Never a reason to do so for two legged creatures either. Though I see them as more of a danger then any creature I'be run into in the outback.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last night i was detecting an abandoned farm yard. I was kneeling digging a hole, and suddenly heard the howl of a coyote...sounded like he was just on the other side of a line of trees, maybe 25 feet from me. Then I heard at least 15 more coyotes howl like crazy, and they were close. It was a little A little creepy, the sun was nearly set, and they were a little too close. The worst part was when they all suddenly stopped. Anyway I was close to my truck so I jumped in and left. There have been a few rabid animals found around here recently so you dont want to get too close.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It doesn't have to be a HANDGUN. My weapon of choice is a SHOTGUN! Held at "port arms". VERY intimmidating. Yea, you got a point there. How would I detect using both hands to hold my weapon? Let me work on this.... I'll get back to you. TTC

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry,
You could mount it on the main tector shaft between box and coil just like they do those fancy pin pointers. You might need both arms to swing the tector but it would be good exercise.....63bkpkr

PS - I've just finished working a rough day so I'm kinda punchy..

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry,
You could mount it on the main tector shaft between box and coil just like they do those fancy pin pointers. You might need both arms to swing the tector but it would be good exercise.....63bkpkr

PS - I've just finished working a rough day so I'm kinda punchy..
Sounds like it might work, Herb, except I don't carry 200 pound loads in on a regular basis! I'll have to practice! NOT!! TTC

spanishgold1

Mar 3, 2011
Utah
Detector(s) used
Pulse Star 2 Pro, Fisher CZ-21, Whites duel field, MineLab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Other
mine is for snakes in the desert.... I hate those things, and they scare the &%*$#)#()#0- out of you when you are detecting and you come across one of them with your headphones on.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry you could combine your detector with a bang stick-- but you run the risk of obliterating a 1863 $5 gold piece. :-)

While walking the 'boys' last week we ran into a rather large rattler. 4 seconds seemed like an eternity getting my pup to back off. Spent the evening on Gunbroker looking for a California approved 357 wheel gun.

The Descriminator

Jul 12, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites 5900Di Pro, Fisher Cz6a
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was on a night hunt recently when on my second hole a German Shepherd was running toward me at full speed barking ferociously - I thought he was going to take my head off. I stood straight up and yelled to the top of my lungs "Get out of here!!" he immediately turned around and ran the other way. I never saw the dog again, but I have decided I'm getting a side arm and I'm packing from now on. Not taking any chances..

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry you could combine your detector with a bang stick-- but you run the risk of obliterating a 1863 $5 gold piece. :-)

While walking the 'boys' last week we ran into a rather large rattler. 4 seconds seemed like an eternity getting my pup to back off. Spent the evening on Gunbroker looking for a California approved 357 wheel gun.
Bears will do the same thing.... stop just before contact.... MOST of the time. Well, if it ever happens to me, I will not wait long enough for the collection of scientific data! TTC

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am going to get another SW 357 mag revolver but for now I carry a "Katana" Short sword with a 45 degree tip. It has a12 inch blade with 5 inch handle, so from handle to tip it is 17 inches long. I keep it consealed. It won't beat a bullet but in close it can take care of a pistol pressed on me and I mean quick!( many have to think first before they pull a triger because they don't shoot all the time.) For now It's better than nothing Until I get my pistol to conseal. Now for a Bear, the Indians used spears, My katana in a pole could do the trick, Like I said better than nothin.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Only Bare I ever seen in the woods was a girlfriend and I took care of that.

Does California have emission laws on .357 wheelguns?

TerryC, whatever regimen you are on, it makes you look younger !

Wonder if pepper spray works on snakes?

Grey

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
People should understand how totally helpless you are without a firearm when a bad guy has one.
Being bad guys, it's a standard tool of their trade; they're always going to have one, when they set out to do bad things.

I'm of unusually large size and train MMA.
I'm by no means a high level MMA competitor, but a random man off the street is pretty much never going to whip me in a fight, barring some extremely unusual encounter. That said, if I'm with my family and we're threatened by a 150 pound crackhead with a $79 pistol and three long steps distance, there is absolutely nothing I can do. I'm totally helpless to defend my brood.

I realize some people live in idyllic areas, that's dandy. Just understand that some of us don't and for those people, being able to respond to a threat effectively is of critical importance. 'Effectively' is predicated on having a firearm. Not mace, not a taser, not a sword, not a couple years training MMA. A firearm, and the skill to put a shot where you want it to go.

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 2011 out in the hills I was bitten by a dog. The dog was a young male and part of a pack. He came at me again but stopped when I fired a 300 grain slug between his front legs, mostly I fired to have the noise of my 454 blow away some of his hearing and it worked. The thing to understand here is that the Alpha Female set him onto me when he bit me and as she set the stage he was going to do what she setup. Be careful of dogs or coyotes or wolves for that matter in a pack situation. Understand, I like dogs, I did not shoot the dog but used my revolver as a noise maker but pack situations are dangerous! Aroused animals, 4 legged or 2 legged are dangerous and pack situations are the worst...............63bkpkr

arapahoscout

Sep 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where I explore and md there are deep canyons, bears, mt lions, stray dogs, coyotes and rattlers, none of the two legged offenders though. Yes my .45 acp is always with me, 1 clip of snake shot and two of hollow points.

Steveo

Jun 12, 2012
upstate Ny
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett gtp1350, Garrett ace150, Whites M6, Whites XLT, Whites QTX, Tesoro Silver Umax,
(RETIRED> ☆Whites Coinmaster TR, ☆Whites Coinmaster 2 TR AM)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have no permit to carry a pistol ,so no I dont.Even if I had a permit personaly I find not much of a need to carry around a pistol while detecting around my neck of the woods.I just hope I never live to regret that decision,but if so I'll be the first to know...................................::)

Scout

Jul 18, 2012
So Cal
Detector(s) used
Whites MX SPORT, Tesoro Eldorado 1989 model, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always pack my 44 Mag, I use 3 Hydro Shock Big Game Loads & 3 Snake Loads .......mountain lions love it when your on your knee's looking in a hole you just dug! and Yes I have had to use it a few times.... pot growers are bad also in So. Calif Forests. Make sure you have one ear out of your headphones when your in the secluded areas and always look around:icon_thumright:

Last edited:

BaronH

Jul 15, 2008
I have a permit but I dont necessarily carry all the time. I do carry in isolated, unkown and high crime areas. Actually, I carry my gun more when Im picking berries than detecting because of bear.

beckleeson

Jul 19, 2012
West Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
TESORO Cutlass II µMAX , TESORO Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new and havn't bought my metal detector yet (i have posts, looking for help) but Yes when I start I will always have my Ruger LCP on me. Better safe than sorry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread