Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: How many pack a handgun when detecting?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2012
    Central Florida
    Fisher F4, Garrett ProPointer
    3 times
    Metal Detecting
    Where I detect, there is only a small chance of a dangerous wildlife encounter, other than a rattle snake. Most places are in the country, not the wilderness.

Nevertheless , I have a concealed carry permit and carry every time I leave the house. The greatest threat is from two legged predators. I'm well trained in close quarters defensive firearm tactics and also carry a very effective non-lethal gel pepper spray. Not every situation calls for deadly force to effectively defend yourself. When detecting, if I should ever encounter an aggressive wolf or coyote, which is a possibility, I'm prepared.

2. # ADS
    Ads

TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

BT3

Jul 2012
    Used to prospect an detect years ago throughout Nevada. Always carried open on the hip. Even when we we're in the little towns around. No one ever batted a eye. Partly for the you never know what might happen and for the one everyone has missed. If you are close enough for others to hear or there is a search party looking for you. Example lost hurt whatever. 3 shots are fired usually as a signal to others to say you need help and the sound helps them locate you. Whistles can also be used but guns are better. Recently I did something for reasons others wouldn't understand but I was close enough to dying that the thought of my gun in the car that could have been used if I had gone to far. I could have croaked myself within less then 1/4 mile from a well traveled road. I learned what I needed to know. Don't need to relearn that lesson ever again. Just my thoughts so others might see another reason then some of the paranoid reasons on why people fear guns. And I have never had to use it when i did take it out of the holster. Never a reason to do so for two legged creatures either. Though I see them as more of a danger then any creature I'be run into in the outback.
    You haven't lived till you cheated the Grim Reaper from his ORO.
    Anthony

ca
    Nov 2010
    Canada
    Garrett A.T. Pro, Garrett GTaX 550
    265 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Last night i was detecting an abandoned farm yard. I was kneeling digging a hole, and suddenly heard the howl of a coyote...sounded like he was just on the other side of a line of trees, maybe 25 feet from me. Then I heard at least 15 more coyotes howl like crazy, and they were close. It was a little A little creepy, the sun was nearly set, and they were a little too close. The worst part was when they all suddenly stopped. Anyway I was close to my truck so I jumped in and left. There have been a few rabid animals found around here recently so you dont want to get too close.

Charter Member
    us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell,AZ and Titusville,FL
    Right now: Garrett GTA 500, ACE 250, Fisher Impulse 8, Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT, Vibraprobe 570, and Falcon MD20
    1428 times
    Coinshooting, Gold prospecting, and Nuggetshooting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    It doesn't have to be a HANDGUN. My weapon of choice is a SHOTGUN! Held at "port arms". VERY intimmidating. Yea, you got a point there. How would I detect using both hands to hold my weapon? Let me work on this.... I'll get back to you. TTC
    At home the ground was covered with snow, and I was covered with sweat. My younger brother called me a killer and my daddy called me a vet. Still in Saigon. Charlie Daniels Band

us
    Northern California

Aug 2007
    'South' Texas
    XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
    1206 times
    Terry,
    You could mount it on the main tector shaft between box and coil just like they do those fancy pin pointers. You might need both arms to swing the tector but it would be good exercise.....63bkpkr

PS - I've just finished working a rough day so I'm kinda punchy..
    Out searching w/GMT & friend under my arm

Charter Member
    us

Jun 2008
    Right now: Garrett GTA 500, ACE 250, Fisher Impulse 8, Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT, Vibraprobe 570, and Falcon MD20
    1428 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by 63bkpkr View Post
    Terry,
    You could mount it on the main tector shaft between box and coil just like they do those fancy pin pointers. You might need both arms to swing the tector but it would be good exercise.....63bkpkr

PS - I've just finished working a rough day so I'm kinda punchy..
    Sounds like it might work, Herb, except I don't carry 200 pound loads in on a regular basis! I'll have to practice! NOT!! TTC
    At home the ground was covered with snow, and I was covered with sweat. My younger brother called me a killer and my daddy called me a vet. Still in Saigon. Charlie Daniels Band

us
    Mar 2011
    Utah
    CZ-3d, AT Pro, Pulse Star 2 Pro, CZ-21, Whites duel field, MineLab E-Trac
    3 times
    Cache Hunting, Beach,Water, and Shipwreck Hunting
    mine is for snakes in the desert.... I hate those things, and they scare the &%*$#)#()#0- out of you when you are detecting and you come across one of them with your headphones on.

us
    Sep 2010
    Groveland, CA
    300 times
    Terry you could combine your detector with a bang stick-- but you run the risk of obliterating a 1863 $5 gold piece. :-)

While walking the 'boys' last week we ran into a rather large rattler. 4 seconds seemed like an eternity getting my pup to back off. Spent the evening on Gunbroker looking for a California approved 357 wheel gun.

us
    Dirt Fishin'

Jul 2012
    Northern VA
    Whites V3i, Whites 5900Di Pro, Fisher Cz6a
    2 times
    I was on a night hunt recently when on my second hole a German Shepherd was running toward me at full speed barking ferociously - I thought he was going to take my head off. I stood straight up and yelled to the top of my lungs "Get out of here!!" he immediately turned around and ran the other way. I never saw the dog again, but I have decided I'm getting a side arm and I'm packing from now on. Not taking any chances..

Charter Member
    us

Jun 2008
    1428 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by calisdad View Post
    Terry you could combine your detector with a bang stick-- but you run the risk of obliterating a 1863 $5 gold piece. :-)

While walking the 'boys' last week we ran into a rather large rattler. 4 seconds seemed like an eternity getting my pup to back off. Spent the evening on Gunbroker looking for a California approved 357 wheel gun.
    Bears will do the same thing.... stop just before contact.... MOST of the time. Well, if it ever happens to me, I will not wait long enough for the collection of scientific data! TTC

us
    Jul 2012
    Castle Rock,CO.
    Tesoro Vaquero
    13 times
    I do.

us
    "John Holmes Jr."

Nov 2011
    French Gulch, North Calif.
    "WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
    28 times
    Metal Detecting
    I am going to get another SW 357 mag revolver but for now I carry a "Katana" Short sword with a 45 degree tip. It has a12 inch blade with 5 inch handle, so from handle to tip it is 17 inches long. I keep it consealed. It won't beat a bullet but in close it can take care of a pistol pressed on me and I mean quick!( many have to think first before they pull a triger because they don't shoot all the time.) For now It's better than nothing Until I get my pistol to conseal. Now for a Bear, the Indians used spears, My katana in a pole could do the trick, Like I said better than nothin.
    GOLD IS WHERE YOU FIND IT.. IT CAN HIDE BUT WHEN REAL IT DON'T LIE!
    My Mama Never raised No Fool... I Was Adopted!

us
    Endeaver to perservere

Mar 2008
    Aloha, Orygun
    wishing stick
    22 times
    Searching
    Only Bare I ever seen in the woods was a girlfriend and I took care of that.

Does California have emission laws on .357 wheelguns?

TerryC, whatever regimen you are on, it makes you look younger !

Wonder if pepper spray works on snakes?

Grey
    Nothing stated may be true as far as we know
    Seek professional advice. Some items are limited
    Not available in all states. Illigitimi non carborundum. Carpe oro.

LM
    do
    I like finding stuff

Dec 2007
    Florida
    Charts and Maps.
    89 times
    Shipwrecks
    People should understand how totally helpless you are without a firearm when a bad guy has one.
    Being bad guys, it's a standard tool of their trade; they're always going to have one, when they set out to do bad things.

I'm of unusually large size and train MMA.
    I'm by no means a high level MMA competitor, but a random man off the street is pretty much never going to whip me in a fight, barring some extremely unusual encounter. That said, if I'm with my family and we're threatened by a 150 pound crackhead with a $79 pistol and three long steps distance, there is absolutely nothing I can do. I'm totally helpless to defend my brood.

I realize some people live in idyllic areas, that's dandy. Just understand that some of us don't and for those people, being able to respond to a threat effectively is of critical importance. 'Effectively' is predicated on having a firearm. Not mace, not a taser, not a sword, not a couple years training MMA. A firearm, and the skill to put a shot where you want it to go.
    Last edited by LM; Jul 18, 2012 at 02:20 AM.
    "There comes a time in every rightly-constructed boy's life when he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure..." - Twain

us
    Northern California

Aug 2007
    'South' Texas
    XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
    1206 times
    In 2011 out in the hills I was bitten by a dog. The dog was a young male and part of a pack. He came at me again but stopped when I fired a 300 grain slug between his front legs, mostly I fired to have the noise of my 454 blow away some of his hearing and it worked. The thing to understand here is that the Alpha Female set him onto me when he bit me and as she set the stage he was going to do what she setup. Be careful of dogs or coyotes or wolves for that matter in a pack situation. Understand, I like dogs, I did not shoot the dog but used my revolver as a noise maker but pack situations are dangerous! Aroused animals, 4 legged or 2 legged are dangerous and pack situations are the worst...............63bkpkr
    Out searching w/GMT & friend under my arm

us
    Sep 2011
    Minelab Explorer SE Pro
    19 times
    Where I explore and md there are deep canyons, bears, mt lions, stray dogs, coyotes and rattlers, none of the two legged offenders though. Yes my .45 acp is always with me, 1 clip of snake shot and two of hollow points.

us
    Jun 2012
    25 times
    Metal Detecting
    I have no permit to carry a pistol ,so no I dont.Even if I had a permit personaly I find not much of a need to carry around a pistol while detecting around my neck of the woods.I just hope I never live to regret that decision,but if so I'll be the first to know...................................

us
    Relic/Gold/Treasure Hunter

Jul 2012
    So Cal
    Gold Bug, Tesoro Eldorado
    1 times
    Always pack my 44 Mag, I use 3 Hydro Shock Big Game Loads & 3 Snake Loads .......mountain lions love it when your on your knee's looking in a hole you just dug! and Yes I have had to use it a few times.... pot growers are bad also in So. Calif Forests. Make sure you have one ear out of your headphones when your in the secluded areas and always look around
    Last edited by Scout; Jul 18, 2012 at 07:07 PM.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2008
    40 times
    I have a permit but I dont necessarily carry all the time. I do carry in isolated, unkown and high crime areas. Actually, I carry my gun more when Im picking berries than detecting because of bear.

us
    Jul 2012
    West Coast Florida
    TESORO Cutlass II ĶMAX , TESORO Sand Shark
    11 times
    I'm new and havn't bought my metal detector yet (i have posts, looking for help) but Yes when I start I will always have my Ruger LCP on me. Better safe than sorry.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors