Flying with your MD ?

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My daughter lives in Cocoa Beach and going to visit the end of May. Planning to take my 505 to do some beach detecting. What kind of experiences have you all had with flying with your MD. I assume breaking it down and carrying on is the safest bet. I also assume your might get a few looks when it goes through the X ray. And is Xraying a MD good, bad or doesn't matter????

Upvote 0

auferret

Sep 25, 2007
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Sunray DX-1
Falcon MD20
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have flown with mine a couple of times. I broke it down and carried it on the plane in a small duffel bag. I had called the airline ahead of time and they told me that it was ok as long as the bag was small enough to fit their carryon requirements. The TSA guy had no idea what it was until I told him. Then the light bulb went off over his head and he smiled and wished me luck with it. You might want to keep the batteries with it in case they want you to turn it on to make sure it is what you say it is.

Whatever you do, do not try to carry your digging tools. Put them in a checked bag.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FLY ALL THE TIME WITH MINE
the only time you get a hassel is when TSA is on high allert
my last trip to Fla. - was when they were told to expect something
so they tore my carryon up - usually i tell them what it is and like
auferret - light goes off and they say "thats what it looks like"
this last time I got in the wrong line - I got in a line with 2
effeminate men (not that theres anything wrong with that) that had never seen one
and even after taking them out - still had no idea what I had
but other than that - never had a real prob

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No trouble with any detector unless they use lithium ion batteries. No problems with tiny ones as in a mobile phone but you try going to or from the Fat East some airlines are stinkers....though I suppose as Whites have a large sticker on the outside of the TDI box warning that air transport should only be by cargo plane you can't say you haven't been warned.

scott565

Apr 20, 2009
Last year I packed a Infinium LS, Gold Bug Pro, and Garrett AT Pro on a domestic flight. Broke them all down, took the control boxes and coils on a carry-on bag, the shafts I put into a checked bag. Everything was wrapped in anti-static bubble wrap(the pink stuff). No issues at all going through security.

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am very interested to see how detecting the beaches goes with your 505. I have one of those but have not used it to detect the beaches and was always wondering how it would do in that type of environment.

OP
OP
hunter_46356

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am very interested to see how detecting the beaches goes with your 505. I have one of those but have not used it to detect the beaches and was always wondering how it would do in that type of environment.

Signal leaving in the AM, I'm not sure how it's gonna work either but will let you know when i get back.....Hopefully with some pic's of my finds.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems that many of you go through a lot of trouble to break it down and put into carry on bags. :icon_scratch:

Me, I just walk in with it fully assembled and use it as a walking cane, metal detector. When they look at me like I have 2 heads I tell them it is also a metal detector and proceed to scan them, to show them it actually is, and it works too :laughing7:

No guts, no glory :headbang:

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Signal leaving in the AM, I'm not sure how it's gonna work either but will let you know when i get back.....Hopefully with some pic's of my finds.

Also are you talking about a Minelab 505 or a Bounty Hunter 505?

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check to the left of the post. It lists his two detectors that are both Bounty Hunters.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just finished packing my Excal, for a flight from Asia to Europe. Packed it in the original shipping box. The only thing im worried about is paying duty on it, so I also have the original sales slip, to prove which country I bought it in. I really hate this "one bag rule". Not much fits in the bag, after the detector is packed.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just finished packing my Excal, for a flight from Asia to Europe. Packed it in the original shipping box. The only thing im worried about is paying duty on it, so I also have the original sales slip, to prove which country I bought it in. I really hate this "one bag rule". Not much fits in the bag, after the detector is packed. 

OP
OP
hunter_46356

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a great trip to Cocoa Beach, Not so good a trip MDing the beach. Even though the BH 505 has an all metals mode and manual ground bal. it doesn't fair well in the salty wet sand. Did fine on the towel line and dry sand and I did find a hand full of clad but nothing to write home about. It did work in the packed wet sand but when testing the depth was very very limited. Only ran into one other MDing the beach surprisingly a young guy, well at least younger than me. He was running a Whites Beach Hunter and said he found a gold class ring the day before and not in the wet sand but the dry. Goes to show ya the treasures are where you find em. A couple of yrs. ago they dredged sand from off shore and piled it on the beach then spread it out, there's no telling what could possibly be there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread