spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Phenomenal :icon_scratch: You mean people actually tune in every 2 weeks for this :dontknow:

Heck, even I have more traffic on any thread I start :laughing9:

Hobbies are just pastimes that you enjoy; and if your hobby is your passion, you don't mind spending money on it. Even if some hobbies are more expensive than others, it's your choice to participate, or not. I have several hobbies, including golf, and never once complained about any cost related to the game. Nor have I heard others complain :tongue3:

As I said on the other thread, if money is an issue then look into a FREE hobby. There are tons of those too, and it won't even cost you a dime :laughing7:

OP
OP
Dan Hughes

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
I have several hobbies, including golf, and never once complained about any cost related to the game. Nor have I heard others complain...

You miss the point. It's not the hobbyists who complain - it's their significant others.

Ever hear Stan Freberg's "Herman Horne on Hi-Fi"? He was incensed that his wife would complain about the tons of money he spent on hi-fi equipment. "I desperately need a new woofer, and all she can think about is frivolities, like milk, and shoes for the children."

---Dan

P.S. I like your tagline about not being responsible, etc. Too many people take themselves too seriously.

Last edited:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I see your point and that only opens up a few more cans of worms, which I will gladly elaborate on. :laughing7:

Let's start with the significant other, or other 1/2. Sometimes just like with a child you have to sit them down and explain the facts of life and I'm not talking about procreation :laughing7: If like many people, you have vices that cost money and decided to curb those little vices for something you want, then you're entitled to it. Example: quit smoking and save anywhere from $6-10 a day. I remember years ago bringing home an item that was a bit expensive and the wife wanted to see the price tag. I showed it to her and she went off. Needless to say that after showing her the price tag, I next had to show her the door. End of problem :laughing7:

Stan has a point :thumbsup: How long do you coddle a kid anyway, before they start taking some responsibility :dontknow: I say as soon as they can walk and talk they should be a contributing factor to the family unit. Unless of course you want to be responsible for them for the rest of their lives. So I guess it's irresponsible to save for something you want, by doing without in other areas. Yup, save your money so the little brats will have a nest-egg without drawing a sweat. Trust me, those little hooples will have your saving's depleted before your body gets cold, and you're in the ground. :laughing7:

As for my tagline, you can probably tell I and irresponsible and make no bones about it either :laughing9:

dlud48

May 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im kinda complaining-My White's XLT finally faded out and now the equivalent is $1500 after the phony discount. Im 63 and cant go out that much anymore so I'd never recover even half my cost. Still mulling it.

OP
OP
Dan Hughes

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
Spartacus, I wish you lived closer to me than New Jersey. You'd be a hoot to hang out with! (Okay, maybe for a week. Don't press me).

A divorce over a price tag? I guess I've heard worse reasons. (One of my students once told me his parents divorced after a bitter argument that started over whether or not the mashed potatoes were served cold).

---D

OP
OP
Dan Hughes

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
Im kinda complaining-My White's XLT finally faded out and now the equivalent is $1500 after the phony discount. Im 63 and cant go out that much anymore so I'd never recover even half my cost. Still mulling it.

Buy a Tesoro! They are the ONLY detectors that come with a lifetime warranty!

(Of course, being 63 means the lifetime warranty probably isn't all that long anyway....)

(Hey, I turn 65 this summer, and I have another business, and my warranty is "Lifetime guarantee, yours or mine, whichever comes first.")

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dlud48, normally I don't agree with anything Dan says, but in this case he's right. I suggest holding on to your current detector like grim death, which by the way, may not be that far away :tongue3:

OP
OP
Dan Hughes

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
dlud48, normally I don't agree with anything Dan says....

Hmmm.

Let's put that to the test.

Dan says,

"Startacus is a right bright fellow."

Your shot....

---Dan

(By the way, I saw the movie Spartacus - the one with Kirk Douglas and Tony Curtis - as part of my 8th grade graduation festivities. All I remember is that there was a beautiful girl in it.)

sejhorva

May 21, 2012
i know a guy who baker acted his wife to go on a detecting trip. for those who dont know what that is its if someone is a danger to them selfs or others you can have them commited for 72 hr observasion. needless to say they were devorced soon after, but still, funny as hell

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread