Best detector in $200-$600 range?

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you do a search there are plenty of people who ask a similar question that lots of people have already answered.

You need to specify what types of hunting you plan to do with it so people can narrow it down for you.
Like are you just going for coins?
Looking for jewelry?
Looking for Civil War relics?
Looking around lakes?
Looking in shallow water, fresh or salt?
Looking in deeper than knee deep water?

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
There's a lot of difference between a $200 metal detector and a $600 one. If the question is which is "best", the question should be rephrased to something like "less than $600".

One wonders what the purpose of the question was in the first place, it's like asking what's the best 4-wheeled vehicle in the $10K to $30K range-- a question so useless that not only does it have no answer, it can hardly even be the beginning point of a discussion.

If you're interested in buying a metal detector, as Ace suggested you need to offer more specifics.

Also since you're a newbie, I'll offer another suggestion: referring to yourself as a grave robber isn't likely to win you any popularity contests around here. Different alias might get better responses.

--Dave J.

OP
OP
ConfederateGraveRobber
May 28, 2012
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you do a search there are plenty of people who ask a similar question that lots of people have already answered.

You need to specify what types of hunting you plan to do with it so people can narrow it down for you.
Like are you just going for coins?
Looking for jewelry?
Looking for Civil War relics?
Looking around lakes?
Looking in shallow water, fresh or salt?
Looking in deeper than knee deep water?

Coins, jewelry, shot gun shells, relics, doesn't matter. If I find a calcified turd my uncle will be calling the county historical society.
The area I will be surveying used to be a plantation in the 1800's. My kinfolk has since planted over EVERYTHING on this property so my range is limited until harvest time.

There is a shallow marsh/creek/small waterway on the property. I need to survey that too.

What method is being used to find objects other than metal?
(Graves, arrowheads, pottery, etc.?)

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
My advise would be to use the metal detector to find a hot spots with coins, forks and any other metal trash of the time. Then get on your hands and knees and dig! I hear that the best places are where the old outhouses were.
People might have lost coins, jewelry and other goodies. Plus they threw old pill bottles, booze bottles and other 'trash' into the pit. Problems are finding those exact spots and then digging down 5 to 8 feet. Don't worry,
the outhouse bacteria will be long gone, just the normal germs will be there as always.

Hope this helps.

tokameel

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread