Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Help! Getting discouraged.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

May 2012
    1 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Help! Getting discouraged.

Im new to MD and ive only hunted a couple of fields. I've done everything Im supposed to do but all I find are cans and junk. Can someone help me with some pointers and maybe some words of encouragement. Can anyone tell me where I can go to legally hunt in the state of Kentucky. Im willing to do anything to find some relics or coins/jewelry. Im a tremendous fan of history and would love to find some pieces of it. I know im being a little impatient but I just need some tips from you experts. Thank you any advice would be greatly appreciated.

us
    I LIKE SHINY THINGS

Apr 2012
    SOMEWHERE
    MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
    556 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Ok first of all dont get discouraged this isnt american diggers where you got out and find a million dollars worth of stuff everytime. secondly you need to hunt where there is stuff to find local parks. playgrounds, schools places like that if your new to your detector then a good place is your own yard learn the sounds you would be surprised whats in your own yard hopefully that helps good luck
    BallsDeep likes this.
    ITS NOT HOW BIG YOUR COIL IS ITS HOW YOU SWING IT..

Common sense is so rare these days it should be classified as a super power

YOUTUBE LINK-http://www.youtube.com/user/shannonjeanne1?feature=mhee

May 2012
    1 times
    Thanks Sonofadigger.

Charter Member
    us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them.
    2107 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kywildcat
    Im new to MD and ive only hunted a couple of fields. I've done everything Im supposed to do but all I find are cans and junk. Can someone help me with some pointers and maybe some words of encouragement. Can anyone tell me where I can go to legally hunt in the state of Kentucky. Im willing to do anything to find some relics or coins/jewelry. Im a tremendous fan of history and would love to find some pieces of it. I know im being a little impatient but I just need some tips from you experts. Thank you any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Order the book from Garrett called, SUCCESSFUL COIN HUNTING?
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

us
    May 2009
    42 times
    Try looking here...

Kentucky Features & Landmarks
    Research is more important than detector but Positive Thinking & The Laws of Attraction Rule!
    Think Gold get Gold! Think canslaw get canslaw and other garbage!

us
    Garrett watersports!

Apr 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
    173 times
    You can find good spots from these tools also

North American Historic Maps and Atlases from Historic Map Works

Penn Pilot Photo Centers

Become familiar with these 2 sites & ill gaurentee you will start finding keepers!
    Just remember...what you miss today...I will find tomorrow!

us
    Jan 2010
    Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
    Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
    102 times
    Prospecting - Gold and Silver
    I don't know how up to date these are, but I suspect you should consider joining a Detector club.
    -----------------------
    Northern KY Treasure Hunters
    8330 U.S. 42,Florence, KY
    859-356-0512
    Randy Deaton <commoncents@nkthc.com>
    NKTHC
    President - Randy Deaton

Bluegrass Relic Recovery
    ,, KY
    <bgrelicrecovery@yahoo.com>
    http://www.bgrelic.org
    Louisville Metro area Kentucky President - Don Forrest

Central Kentucky Research and Recovery Team
    956 Spanish Grove Drive,Richmond, KY 40475
    (859)626-9823
    Pres: Alan Barnett <collectorscoins@bellsouth.net>
    Meets the 1st Tuesday of every month at Madison Hills Christian Church, 960 Red House Road, Richmond, KY 40475 at 7pm est. Light refreshments served, business meeting, show and tell time. Member FMDAC
    Whites GMT, Whites GM Vsat, Whites 5900, Gold Mountain King Cobra, Bounty Hunter 3300

Charter Member
    us
    IT COULD BE A VALUABLE PRIZE "YOU NEVER KNOW"

Nov 2006
    N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
    ** I use only top name brand detectors *****
    1264 times
    ANY TYPE OF TREASURE HUNTING THAT PUTS MONEY IN MY POCKET
    There is just one thing could be two things you need to metal detect....Patience & Perseverance ....... 3 things.. and the ability to be ........ persecuted by others that don't understand why you do this & don't spend your money on golf clubs........ That would be the 3..P's .......... And as you know with golf you spend money and have fun.......... But with Metal Detecting you spend money and have fun ........... But with metal Detecting you also are makeing money if you are one of the many lucky ones............. You see i did not say one of the few ........ I said one of the many that get rewarded with good finds when metal detecting........ But you have to have those ...3..P's.......... PATIENCE & PERSEVERANCE & and the ability to take PERSECUTION.....
    Last edited by Keppy; May 28, 2012 at 11:11 PM.
    "...Let no one know what,were or when..."

Apr 2012
    Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
    380 times
    Tell me secrets

Charter Member
    us
    IT COULD BE A VALUABLE PRIZE "YOU NEVER KNOW"

Nov 2006
    N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
    ** I use only top name brand detectors *****
    1264 times
    ANY TYPE OF TREASURE HUNTING THAT PUTS MONEY IN MY POCKET
    Quote Originally Posted by kywildcat View Post
    . I know im being a little impatient .
    You know what is wrong then.... And that is the secret..... If you are impatient you have to change your thinking....... For you can not be impatient and do good at metal detecting.........
    "...Let no one know what,were or when..."

Apr 2012
    Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
    380 times
    True gotta give it time ...and for junk you will dig that along with the good but you need to go spend the time learning local history at the library and then spend the ground time looking for that good spot to hunt ...it only takes 1 place to get started

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    1820 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by kywildcat View Post
    Im new to MD and ive only hunted a couple of fields. I've done everything Im supposed to do but all I find are cans and junk. Can someone help me with some pointers and maybe some words of encouragement. Can anyone tell me where I can go to legally hunt in the state of Kentucky .....
    What kind of "fields" did you metal detect? 'Cuz you just don't go out and randomly hunt any "fields", lest .... yes ...... you'll just get random can slaw or whatever. There needs to have been something that went on in that "field", for it to be a good place to hunt. Like a camping spot, or an old park or fair grounds. Or a saloon or stage stop site, etc..... Ie.: any place where people and travellers came and went from, and/or money exchanged hands, and/or people recreated at.

House sites are a possibility (for if they used to be in a "field"), but will a distant second, for coin-to-junk ratio, than the other type examples I give. Because naturally where persons lived, is going to be riddled with their homesite and work junk, house debri from fallen houses, etc.... Nor did they necessarily recreate (as in a park, home, campsite, etc...), nor was $ exchanging hands (since it was a singular family concern), etc... However, if the home-site is old enough, and abandoned early enough on (before the age of electricity and autos), then individual homes sites can be good to hunt.

As far as where to hunt "legally", do you mean as in private property (ie,: field owners)? If so, then I suppose you can just ask the owner, eh? But if you meant govt. land of various levels/entities (city, county, state, federal, etc...), the only ones to avoid are going to be historically themed protected monument type places. For the run-of-the-mill county and city beaches, parks, school yards, etc... there is rarely ever any verbage prohibiting detectors. If you have any doubts, look it up for yourself (rather than thinking you need to go "ask" at city and county halls, etc...). Rules, codes, laws, charters, etc... for each city and county are usually always available on the city's website. If there's nothing there that specifically says "no metal detecting", then PRESTO, it's not dis-allowed now, is it
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

May 2012
    2 times
    I'm having the same problem, been out in my yard and found some old bottle caps and nails is all and can't find much history in my area to help me hunt, the impatience is bothering me too cause the usual junk gets old don't it

us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell,AZ and Titusville,FL
    Right now: Garrett GTA 500, ACE 250, Fisher Impulse 8, Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT, Vibraprobe 570, and Falcon MD20
    1651 times
    Coinshooting, Gold prospecting, and Nuggetshooting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    "I've only hunted a couple of fields" There it is right there! You have a long way to go. Put in 100 hours, like the manual says. Then tell me you can't find anything! Under large trees, old swimming holes, around the front porch. city parks, carnaval sites, ball parks, etc, etc. ANYWHERE PEOPLE GATHER! Go for it! TTC
    ONE MIND - ANY WEAPON

us
    Apr 2012
    Virginia Beach, VA
    ACE 250
    41 times
    Metal Detecting
    Get out and go to a local park, football field, playground something like that to get your first few finds to boost the confidence and between hunting those spots research some older spots like old schools and churches and such. I spent about 10 hours at the beach and only found one dime so far, so I think I'm done with the beach for a while until I can get a better detector that I can take into salt water.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors