Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TD, you need to research each of these by typing in the name in the search box and review the posts. It's hard fro anyone to advise you because we don't know your soil conditions.

While any of these detectors will be fine on the dry sand of the beach, none of them will perform well in the wet salt sand, so please bear that in mind.

Of the three, you'll probably find the best reviews on the Ace, F2, and the Delta.

stanski1980

Mar 12, 2011
aberdeen,maryland
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter IV / Garrett ACE 150
LIke smudge said it all depends on were you live at If you go with the ace look at the 350 I have a 150 and love it I want to get the 350 when i get the extra cash. watch some youtube videos that should help out some and the ace 350 can go into the water as well. the coil can but not the unit box do not get that wet it will kill it. hope this helps out some best of hunting to you

OP
OP
T

TD11793

Greenie
Jun 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help guys. Do you have any suggestions on an affordable machine that has ground balance and will work in wet sand?

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the 250 and like it a lot. It does really well at coin shooting - Excellent machine right out of the box. I would get on youtube and watch these detectors in action. I have never used it in wet sand, so I can't help you there.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Teknetics gamma 6000 just like the bounty hunter platinum but has the manual ground balance.

Clev

Feb 16, 2010
Polk County,NC
My first was a Tosoro Tejon. Whay above my head. I gave up. I couldnt never figure out how to ground balance it bro. After talking to Mike at WoodLand Detectors, I am going with a Whites MXT

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is NO single frequency machine that will give you good performance in wet saltwater sand. BBS technogy is about $1,200-$2500.00 and PI starts at $600-$1000.00. Getting wet is expensive.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to disagree about not being a good vlf machine for salt water. I have a Detectorpro wader and it works quite well.
Fisher also makes the cz21 that is vlf and works well.

OP
OP
T

TD11793

Greenie
Jun 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what are some decent ground balance machines for under $500?

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The MXT is a 2 freq detector and a good one. but u need another detector for SALT water or if in fresh water the mxt would do.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
rwd mo said:
The MXT is a 2 freq detector and a good one. but u need another detector for SALT water or if in fresh water the mxt would do.

Mxt is a single frequency not dual. Will work in most places and might work in wet sand.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
norbyx said:
Mxt is a single frequency not dual. Will work in most places and might work in wet sand.

If your idea is to hunt in salt water get a Detectorpro pirate Pro good on land and sea just don't get the headphone wet.
If you want to be a bit more safe in the water get the wader. It is water resistant, and you can switch the coils, just 2 possibility though 8in and 10in.

Last edited:

badger

Mar 7, 2012
Divide, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go with the Tesoro Vaquero. It has better reviews than any of the machines you listed. The "V" is the best all around detector for the money. period. Don't believe me, ask anyone and read the reviews. The Vaquero is simple to ground balance, goes deep, takes a 9 v battery, is light weight, comes with a lifetime warranty, and it even finds small gold with the right coil. (10 inch Elliptical).
None of the others even come close....

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I got a used whites dfx. Works great in the wet sand and serf. Very pleased with its performance. Can pick up a used one on ebay from about $550 to 650. Dual frequency keeps it stable in the wet sand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread