Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks

Thanks old digger mybe u help me out do use all metal mode when search the old farm house, the temp durning the day is 100+ so waiting late afternoon

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try as it may; Go real early in the morning (daybreak). Your senses are more alert, it's still cooler than late afternoon. Also check out those adobe walls, high and low. It would have been quite easy to carve out a small niche and place a couple gold coins in it and seal it back up with adobe. Again, good luck!

Steveo

Jun 12, 2012
upstate Ny
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett gtp1350, Garrett ace150, Whites M6, Whites XLT, Whites QTX, Tesoro Silver Umax,
(RETIRED> ☆Whites Coinmaster TR, ☆Whites Coinmaster 2 TR AM)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wish ya luck on the hunt today......................................

OP
OP
jimzz977

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks guys , well didnt find much the area was full iron hits found a .22 cal rd. Only searched for an hour the temp super hot ran out of energy. After a couple of false hits got tried. maybe you guys can help me out, my machine give me couple good reading of quarter and dollar but i dug it up my machine wasnt reading, im i doing something wrong or is it my detector

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hi Jim. I hunt adobe sites here in CA, whenever I can find them. Have done good around some of them. In my part of CA, any time we can find where an adobe was, is usually pre-1850s, as that was a method of construction favored during the Spanish/Mexican period here (before state-hood). But in New Mexico, if I'm not mistaken, there is .... EVEN TO THIS DAY .... places where people still build in this way. It's actually a good method, as long as the persons perpetually keep the walls plastered, and a roof on top, to keep moisture out. Ie.: it affords great insulation qualities, etc.... So how old is the particular adobe structure you're attempting to hunt?

And to answer your initial question, you're going to need to use some discrimination there, to *at least* knock out iron (unless you want to go crazy digging 1000 nails and iron stuff :)) As for your getting good signals, I don't know what you're saying, when you say you dug it up and "my machine wasn't reading". Do you mean that the object no longer registered as a good target, once you got it out of the ground? Please expand on what you're trying to say, and maybe we can chime in to evaluate. Some things like cast-iron chunks, might give a good signal in the ground, yet of course, once out-of-the-ground and air-tested, will sound more like iron. There is audio-clues you can use to better evaluate what you want to pass, vs dig. What machine are you using?

Sounds to me like you need to get some practice first on an easy site (modern school yard grass, sand boxes, etc....) to better get the "sounds" down of various targets. THEN go try to tackle a relicky spot, full-of-iron, like this. Or another way is to hook up with someone proficient in your area (someone who routinely comes in with old coins), and have them accompany you. Have them flag targets that they believe are probable conductive targets trying to squeek through the ocean of iron. You go over it, and try to see/hear/isolate what they are showing you. Watch how they swing, and listen to what they're listening for (best if they're using the same machine as you, so all this is comparable). Conversely you show them targets you've flagged, and have them swing over them. And pay attention to their call. Eg.: "Iron false" or "pipe" or "yes I'd chase that" and so forth. Watch how they retreive targets, as that alone can be a determiner of frustration. I've gone out with newbies and watched them dig for 10 min. on a target, and give up in disgust. They ask me to check out their open hole, and the target was merely on the sides, yet they didn't have the pinpointing technique down. Or strange things like they were merely getting the corner of a building (where there had been a concealed copper framing in the corner), and the persons front edge of the coil was hearing that. The newbie figured there was a target there, and made a big hole for 20 min. It took me 10 seconds to scan the hole, and realize that all he was doing, was hearing the corner of the building, NOT something under the coil. These are all just examples, so don't get "lost in the example". Just trying to show that sometimes hooking up with someone proficient, and the "lights go on" immediately, rather than 50 hours of hard-knocks trial and error.

OP
OP
jimzz977

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the advise and first of all i am using Bounty Hunter Elite 2200. what i was trying to say is that my detector was giving good readings like zinc and up to a dollar , i sweep the area and to make sure got consistine tone so i dug it up about 6in and run my detector over the hole and it didnt detect,so i ran the detector over the pile of dirt and got a reading of 25 cent . I checked the pile of dirt with my pinpointer and nothing, so check the dirt again with the detector and again got a good reading,but couldnt find anything, so i got mad and left. the house was built in 1800s so i know that not too many people have detected there. going back with info i get. again thanks

QuarterMaster

Apr 25, 2012
North Central Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Ace350
Pioneer Bounty Hunter 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try to divide your pile and scan both. Then repeat, making the piles smaller and smaller

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Bounty Hunter Platinum (back up)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sometimes I will grab a handful of dirt and pass my hand with the dirt in it by the coil. A white plastic Frisbee makes a great dirt sorter. Good luck!

OP
OP
jimzz977

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the advise going back this time using iron discrm and going a the morning

QuarterMaster

Apr 25, 2012
North Central Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Ace350
Pioneer Bounty Hunter 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
verbious said:
Sometimes I will grab a handful of dirt and pass my hand with the dirt in it by the coil. A white plastic Frisbee makes a great dirt sorter. Good luck!

Remember to take your jewelry off first or every handful will set your detector off

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread