Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Youngin'

Jun 2012
    Oxford, OH
    White's XLT, Bounty Hunter IV
    15 times
    Metal Detecting

New to the hobby

Hello all! I am a new metal detector enthusiast, and eager to jump into the action. I am currently in Southern Ohio and am curious as to where I should be aiming to dig. Any tips for newbies? I am using a Bounty Hunter IV, by the way. My finds are only wheat pennies thus far (among the chump change).

2. # ADS
    Ads

TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

us
    Sep 2007
    New Jersey
    Whites V3i and DFX
    790 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fordam3
    Hello all! I am a new metal detector enthusiast, and eager to jump into the action. I am currently in Southern Ohio and am curious as to where I should be aiming to dig. Any tips for newbies? I am using a Bounty Hunter IV, by the way. My finds are only wheat pennies thus far (among the chump change).
    Sounds like you already got started. Just have fun doing it.

us
    Jan 2012
    Missouri
    Minelab X-TERRA 505
    2 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    and welcome ford, a suggestion for u, check local library n closest court house for the history of ur area. try to obtain the oldest map possible that indicates old saloons, hotels n places that alot of folks would gather... happy huntg.

us
    Jun 2012
    25 times
    Metal Detecting
    Welcome aboard fordam3.
    If your looking for the older coins as most of us do, you'll find that a little research can go a long ways to get you to the older sites.Good luck & happy hunting anf have fun.

Charter Member
    cr
    Detecting fever comes and goes.

Jun 2012
    San Jose
    Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
    138 times
    Metal Detecting and Ham Radio
    Welcome to the hobby. I am sure that you will like it. Please don't fall out just because sometimes you find only trash items, it happens to all of us. Sometimes I walk out of a morning hunt with just ONE coin and a pile of trash. Well that is just how it is, my good thought is that next time I won't find as much...

Charter Member
    us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them.
    1682 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fordam3 View Post
    Garrett has a book called, Sucessful Coin Hunting, by Charles Garrett which will give you many places to hunt that you might not think of otherwise. Nothing wrong with all the research you can stand.
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

Charter Member
    us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell,AZ and Titusville,FL
    Right now: Garrett GTA 500, ACE 250, Fisher Impulse 8, Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT, Vibraprobe 570, and Falcon MD20
    1432 times
    Coinshooting, Gold prospecting, and Nuggetshooting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Welcome to the net, Ford! If you are finding wheaties, you are doing good! Many will pass up the pennies as not worth the time. NOT! The fact that you are finding them confirms that you are doing things right. It is now just a matter of time before other goodies find their way to your coil. When you start finding better "stuff", try to repeat the parameters. Success breeds success! Go get 'em! TT
    At home the ground was covered with snow, and I was covered with sweat. My younger brother called me a killer and my daddy called me a vet. Still in Saigon. Charlie Daniels Band

us
    Jan 2012
    Missouri
    Minelab X-TERRA 505
    2 times
    hey ford, may i also suggest 2 other books that i have found very informative: 1. METAL DETECTING by Ronald Kamrowski 2. RELIC QUEST by Stephen Moore. hope this helps... HH

us
    Youngin'

Jun 2012
    Oxford, OH
    15 times
    Metal Detecting
    Thank you all for the kind welcome and the advice! I shall certainly look at those books. Just found another wheat penny (1929) and a Darth Vader figurine today!

Edit: and a 1968 Kennedy half dollar !

us
    Apr 2012
    Tesoro Bandito II, Garrett Ace 250, BH LandStar, Time Rander, Discovery 3000, Tracker IV, Discovery 1000, QuickDrawII, Fisher F2.
    38 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by fordam3 View Post
    Ceasar's Creek State Park has a really big beach that can get you started. There is an old ghost-town just west of Shawnee off the Ohio River, too.
    Dig-It!

Jul 2012
    Where at in Southern Ohio? I think ive cleaned out every public an a lot of private places!

us
    Youngin'

Jun 2012
    Oxford, OH
    15 times
    Metal Detecting
    I'm in Oxford, OH, Mike. I can only hope that there are some spots left :P.

Jul 2012
    I'm in Oxford, OH, Mike. I can only hope that there are some spots left :P.
    I dont think you will have any problems around there, ive never been there before! Lol, good luck!

us
    Youngin'

Jun 2012
    Oxford, OH
    15 times
    Metal Detecting
    Thank you! Whereabouts do you hunt? Are there any good group hunts here in Southern OH?

Jul 2012
    Thank you! Whereabouts do you hunt? Are there any good group hunts here in Southern OH?
    I hunt primarily around Portsmouth and about a 30 mile radius around it. I dont know of any clubs around here but do know of 2 other Etrac users down this way! Private property is the way to go down here if you can get permission!

Sponsors