Has te ground been dry & hard for everyone???

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

sparky661

Jun 1, 2012
Oswego NY
Detector(s) used
ETRAC ,T2 SE , Garret Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went out this morning and stop digging targets deeper than 6" because of this. It's crazy. Might have to invest in a backhoe soon.....

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sparky661 said:
I went out this morning and stop digging targets deeper than 6" because of this. It's crazy. Might have to invest in a backhoe soon.....

LOL!!!

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Not for me it rains at least every second day here. Rain is queen. I can go to a park and the soil is always nice and humid. You want rain to go md??? Come have a vacation here and you'll be satisfied.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gave up trying to hunt the turf last month. It's going to take a lot of rain to make the ground diggable again.

dustyspurs

Jun 20, 2012
Lafayette
Detector(s) used
Deus 3.2 , Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got 2.5 inches yesterday and more today. Before that it was like concrete. The ground is soaking it up like a sponge.

kgunn

Jan 1, 2012
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Dues
Safari
AT Pro
CoinMaster
White Gold
Minelab X-TERRA 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i just went out the other day n o my gawd by 8am it was a soltry 80' out, i was like im good. Been catchn up on R&I in the AC tho. lol

etechdigger

Greenie
Jul 27, 2010
Buddy dry and hard aint the word for it. Here in Chattanooga TN. we have a lot of clay in the ground and when it gets this hot and dry its like digging in concrete.
Not to mention how much harder it is to keep the turf looking good after you try to cover your hole up with dry dirt and dry brittle grass.

Steveo

Jun 12, 2012
upstate Ny
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett gtp1350, Garrett ace150, Whites M6, Whites XLT, Whites QTX, Tesoro Silver Umax,
(RETIRED> ☆Whites Coinmaster TR, ☆Whites Coinmaster 2 TR AM)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well fokes here in upstate ny or at least in my area the ground isn't hard,it's just bone dry and sandy.The soil in these parts is normaly sandy anyway and it can make for easy digging.But it's been pretty dry and hot here for the last couple of weeks and we too are in great need of rain.Digging in a yard now would for sure cause dead turf spots no matter how one digs a plug,so it looks like if I'm to do any MDing I'll be doing it in my woods or creek till this dry spell is over.
Let's hope for rain for all of us real soon like........................................

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it's like tryin to dig through an adobe wall. Hit the schools..... they water. Bout the only game in town around here.

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Total newbie question, not to hijack the thread. Does the ground, being as hard as it is, hinder the depth capability of your MD? I know it hinders the endurance of my back but, was just curious.

Thanks,

Jay

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Total newbie question, not to hijack the thread. Does the ground, being as hard as it is, hinder the depth capability of your MD? I know it hinders the endurance of my back but, was just curious.

Thanks,

Jay

Well, it depends. If you have mineralized ground it becomes easier to see through as it dries out. If you don't have mineralized ground, then the drier soil actually hinders the signal.

Also, dry ground reduces the iron halo so coins next to iron become easier to detect. Wetter ground gives you more depth on an isolated coin.

dustyspurs

Jun 20, 2012
Lafayette
Detector(s) used
Deus 3.2 , Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sure is nice to pick up the nuggets of wisdom you guys give us newbies. Thanks. My 2.5 inches is long gone and it only happened on Tuesday.It's good to know there are benefits to all conditions. When the ground is hard, I'm just marking spots to dig later. Of course, I'm still trying to figure out my MD on my property and that makes it easy to mark spots and comeback later.

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You boys are wimps!!! I got a hit the other day....dug hard..& before ya knew it...dug myself to china! Pulled out a little China man with a gold chain around his neck

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, has it ever been dry & HARDDDDDD lately? I've been only digging deep signals lately, and getting 7-8" deep takes a fair amount of work! Does anyone have any rain? Hang in there guys & gals!!! Rain in the forecast here next week & I hope we get every bit we can!!!! PRAY FOR RAIN!!!!!
.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Welcome to my world! It's hard as a rock almost year round here unless you go to a park or school where they spray my tax money on the ground to soften it!

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hate to rub it in at everybody! I'm down in San Francisco just about every weekend hunting the parks and median strips and the temperature this summer has been running about 55 to 65 degrees! The ground is still moist and soft! The morning fog may chill the air, but I don't care! The cool breeze blowing off the Pacific Ocean feels pretty good! Sometimes I'm putting on a sweat shirt! :icon_thumleft:

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool Hand Fluke, I would really like to say something every bad to you, but it’s just to hot and dry to be wasting any words down here.:laughing7:

I’m glad you are enjoying the summer. Let us know how the winter is in 6 months, when I will be enjoying the kind of weather you are now.:icon_thumright:

GL&HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread