Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been out of the sport for a couple years now and am looking to get back into it. I was doing research in my area and had an epiphany!

When I was 8 or 9 I was "helping" (by helping I mean playing around in a creepy dirt basement) my family move my great grandma into a nursing home. She was 92 years old when we moved her and that was 16 years ago. Obviously she isn't around anymore, but lived to a whopping 101! Anywho; My Great Grandpa was a carpenter and had a bunch of wood working stuff in the basement; including a pile of wood hanging from the rafters and I was messing with the wood when a mason jar fell out. Inside were a couple seated Liberties and some other silver. The only reason I remember the Seateds is because I got to keep one :-)

Well I didn't think much about it after that, but I called my grandma up today and was talking to her about her dad (my great grandpa). And I asked if she remembered when I found the coins and she did and still had them. And she went on to tell me that he was always stashing away money and coins because it was a habit during the depression and he continued to do it all the way into the early 90s until he died.

She said she has no idea if there are any other hidden stashes, but remembered finding $50 in $1 Silver Certificates in a old tobacco tin hidden in the garage once. She got whooped because she took one and went to the candy store and my great grandpa found out :-/

They lived in the same house their entire lives and I just looked it up on Google Earth and it looks like it is still there. I'm hoping to stop out there one and maybe surprise the owners and see if they will let me take a peek :-) I hope they do! Anyway; have to get a detector first haha

Makes you think if there is anything else there? ???

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread