Newbie with questions.

91wm6

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I just bartered for my first MD, a used Whites GMT Goldmaster. I realize this is a specialty detector but I took it out today and found some pennies, nails, and pull tabs. I plan to search for coins, relics, and jewelry around the San Antonio area, and make some trips to the coast for some dry beach detecting. I would also love to search for gold and meteorites (not much gold in Tx though) Anyway do you guys think I should try and get a more versatile md like the Garrett AT Pro? Am I being naive thinking I can take the time to learn the Whites GMT well enough to use it for everything? I only searched for an hour today due to the Tx heat and the rock hard soil, but the stuff I did find leads me to believe I can taylor the detector to my needs. What do you guys think?

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have a great machine that will find it all - Learn it!

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All it takes Is time And Patience!!!! HH Chug Note If you are digging the Pulltabs Gold is Close at Hand !!!

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Learn the whites it is a very good one, might not work too well on the beach but will work in most situations

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ya got a great gold machine as well as a good one that can cancil out bad soils. Be sure to check the "Free" whites videos! They will show you many things which will save time and Jimmy Serria is a host who will explain set up and super finds. You can google whites GMT Videos and you can save time while learning. Good luck. Goldentruth.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will work fine but there are other detectors that would do a better job in the types of hunts you mentioned. The Goldmaster is setup for finding small nuggets so it's frequency and coil are designed for that type of hunt. I would save up for a multipurpose machine if I were doing the types of hunting you mentioned. It will be a little less frustrating!

OP
OP

91wm6

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've put in about 4 hours since I picked the detector up. I've been digging lots and lots of trash. Mostly pull tabs, aluminum cans, and foil with the occasional scrap iron piece ... The good news is I have been searching high trash areas and am getting a good feel for reading the signals. I think if I can find an ideal place to hunt I could actually do pretty well. I've decided I'm gonna work with the GMT for a good while and then pick up a Garrett AT Pro after I find enough to finance it. Thanks again for all the help and advice...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread