Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought this article might interest a lot of you that MD in the rivers and creeks. This is a Supreme Court ruling and it can be vague at times about state rights and what changes the states can and can not change, but for the most part rivers are "Public Domain" and are open for "non destructive recreational activities". This was always I question I had was; who owns the river?

Obviously a Wildlife management area, state park, national park, DNR land, etc... are No-No's and boundaries are marked on maps, but after that its open to recreational activities. Of course check with local or state parks to make sure the parks themselves don't have laws or ordinances against MDing.

Basically if there is a river you want to preform "recreational activities" in and surrounded by Private land (so no parks, management/historical areas) as long as you can get to that land via public access you have every right to be there. It said that some deeds are drawn up where the person's "land" goes all the way to the center of the river, but this isn't technically legal.

There is a lot more indepth explanation at the link and a lot of info. It was quite interesting.

If you want to read more indepth check out this article.
River Law: Who owns the rivers? River navigability law, for river access, river rights, river conservation, canoeing, kayaking, rafting, paddling, whitewater, and fly-fishing.

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
...... Also covers any artifact over 50 years old.....

Treasure-hunter, I found out such a rule exists in a governing agency that over-sees certain beaches near me. A nature -sanctuary preserve type area. I had asked them how they define "historical resource". And they gave this same type definition. But oddly, in my 38 yrs. of this, I have NEVER had anyone follow me around with a pocket calculator doing the math on the ages of coins I've found there. And never had anyone riffle through my apron at the ends of hunts inspecting items for the age.

So seriously, if the "age" of an item is only bugaboo, then presto, you're only finding new stuff, right? Has anyone here ever had the contents of their apron carded upon exiting parks, beaches, etc.... ? Not saying it's not impossible (anything's possible), but ....... can't someone just put any coin that exceeds 1964 in their "other" pocket? Or for pete's sake, put those coins back in the ground I suppose :dontknow:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure-hunter, I found out such a rule exists in a governing agency that over-sees certain beaches near me. A nature -sanctuary preserve type area. I had asked them how they define "historical resource". And they gave this same type definition. But oddly, in my 38 yrs. of this, I have NEVER had anyone follow me around with a pocket calculator doing the math on the ages of coins I've found there. And never had anyone riffle through my apron at the ends of hunts inspecting items for the age.

So seriously, if the "age" of an item is only bugaboo, then presto, you're only finding new stuff, right? Has anyone here ever had the contents of their apron carded upon exiting parks, beaches, etc.... ? Not saying it's not impossible (anything's possible), but ....... can't someone just put any coin that exceeds 1964 in their "other" pocket? Or for pete's sake, put those coins back in the ground I suppose :dontknow:

Your correct Tom, no one has ever said a word to me about it. I have had police stop and talk to me at the beach a few times but only to ask me how it was going and if I was having any luck.

A couple times durring the day they noticed I was armed with large filet knife or dive knives and asked about it. I told them it was for "sharks, water or land" that was only questions i got about anything i had on me.

They have never seen my pistol I carry at night.

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

Your correct Tom, no one has ever said a word to me about it.....

But it's ok though, even if they did. Because you don't find any pre 1964 coins anyhow. So you're good to go. And if ..... per chance, you DID happen to find a 1962 silver roosie, I know you would dutifully mark the spot with a little flag, pack up your things to leave, and promptly notify the archaeologist in his offices @ state capitol. You're a good man ! :icon_thumleft:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But it's ok though, even if they did. Because you don't find any pre 1964 coins anyhow. So you're good to go. And if ..... per chance, you DID happen to find a 1962 silver roosie, I know you would dutifully mark the spot with a little flag, pack up your things to leave, and promptly notify the archaeologist in his offices @ state capitol. You're a good man ! :icon_thumleft:

I wrote my name and address in the wet sand where they could come pick it up at.......

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if you find a '64 Roosie this year, do you have to turn it in next year? Just wondering.....is this law retroactive? If not what makes it worthless to them this year but culturally and historically valuable next year? More time in the water or ground? Dementedly logical minds want to know........:laughing7:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
So if you find a '64 Roosie this year, do you have to turn it in next year? Just wondering.....is this law retroactive? If not what makes it worthless to them this year but culturally and historically valuable next year? More time in the water or ground? Dementedly logical minds want to know........:laughing7:

Good questions cudamark. I'll tell you what: Just box up all your 50 + old coins and send them to me. I will make sure they are properly handled, to the right authorities. I will absolve your conscience of all guilt. No .... don't thank me ...... it's the least I can do for the furtherance of our fine hobby. Then you don't have to fret yourself with all the nuances of the whats and whys of all these laws you've knocked yourself silly to sleuth out. Just one simple mailing to me, and .... it'll all be handled.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought this article might interest a lot of you that MD in the rivers and creeks. This is a Supreme Court ruling and it can be vague at times about state rights and what changes the states can and can not change, but for the most part rivers are "Public Domain" and are open for "non destructive recreational activities". This was always I question I had was; who owns the river?

Obviously a Wildlife management area, state park, national park, DNR land, etc... are No-No's and boundaries are marked on maps, but after that its open to recreational activities. Of course check with local or state parks to make sure the parks themselves don't have laws or ordinances against MDing.

Basically if there is a river you want to preform "recreational activities" in and surrounded by Private land (so no parks, management/historical areas) as long as you can get to that land via public access you have every right to be there. It said that some deeds are drawn up where the person's "land" goes all the way to the center of the river, but this isn't technically legal.

There is a lot more indepth explanation at the link and a lot of info. It was quite interesting.

If you want to read more indepth check out this article.
River Law: Who owns the rivers? River navigability law, for river access, river rights, river conservation, canoeing, kayaking, rafting, paddling, whitewater, and fly-fishing.
It would not do me any good to read those article's you put up .. FOR if i come to a river when out i don't care who owns it i just hunt it … Like i said every one worries to much and makes things more complicated than they really are …

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good questions cudamark. I'll tell you what: Just box up all your 50 + old coins and send them to me. I will make sure they are properly handled, to the right authorities. I will absolve your conscience of all guilt. No .... don't thank me ...... it's the least I can do for the furtherance of our fine hobby. Then you don't have to fret yourself with all the nuances of the whats and whys of all these laws you've knocked yourself silly to sleuth out. Just one simple mailing to me, and .... it'll all be handled.
Are you SURE you're not politician? I'm hearing the same assurances from you that I get with the government when tax time rolls around!:tongue3:

longcut

Oct 16, 2012
Misipy
Detector(s) used
X Terra 505 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
deadeye has it right .................. if you have the money , u will win ............ but it takes lots of money to get to the top ..............

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
In the State of Florida,the state owns all the rivers and anything found in them.
For you yes for the state they think they do ..But if i am there i own what i find in them..

Aug 10, 2013
Warren NJ
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your better off looking into Agenda 21 and why so many local municipalities are gobbling up land in the name of "open space" that no one can use. Or to put in activities that wont harm their Volvos or BMWs like bike paths or hiking trails that will be off limits to disturbing vegetation or soil. Every old home near me that gets owned by the state gets a sign that means your screwed. That's after its knocked down. Never mind the fact that many state owned areas run by the military are poisoned to the point of no use. People have to look deep down the rabbit hole..some tunnel off to the side and don't wanna go too deep.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread